Photo

Victoria HarbourCats - Collegiate league at Royal Athletic Park

• Please log in to reply
675 replies to this topic

#41 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Has a fast-ferry fiasco ring about it. Logo has that look too. But as said above, don't actively dislike it.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

I thought the same thing! :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Far better than the Seals or the Mussels (how embarrassing!).

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

It's growing on me, and I like how it has a word that is uniquely Canadian (British).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

My first thought was the Ferry Fiasco too.

As a logo designer myself, the logo is okay in terms of design, but it concerns me that the length relative to the height seems too great and when shrunk to fit certain items, the iconic portion might get lost.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#46 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Harbourcats? Is that a real thing, or is it just like a feral cat that hangs around the water? And the logo... the negative space in the "u" looks like a giant beaver tooth. Not a fan of the team brand.

#47 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

...is it just like a feral cat that hangs around the water?

That's what comes to mind: mangy, skittish strays living rough on the streets. Kinda sums up "Victoria" for some people. :banana:

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

The HarbourCats will keep the HarbourMice in check, so it's a health benefit.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Harbourcats? Is that a real thing, or is it just like a feral cat that hangs around the water? And the logo... the negative space in the "u" looks like a giant beaver tooth. Not a fan of the team brand.

That's exactly what I thought.

Remind me again what the FastCat ferry logo was?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#50 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

You have to wonder if HarbourCats was really the best choice of -- supposedly-- hundreds of submissions. There wasn't anything better than HarbourCats? Really? Not even Bay Lions or something? Sea Dogs? Fish Hooks? Buoys? Dinghies? Tugboats? Starfish? Barnacles? Come on.

Like I said, I don't hate it, but it strikes me as pretty weird. Logo looks like a cheap piece of graphic design work as well, especially compared to the Sweets, Bells, Eagles or even the Bears.

#51 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

We can call them the Harbour Rats if they are not performing well.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

...oh man, the U does make the cat look like it has a beaver tooth :) Yikes...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

It looks more like an otter to me. Maybe that's what they were going for rather than an actual cat? I could see Harbour Cat being used as slang for otter... maybe not.

#54 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thundercats.... Yooooooooooooooooo! Oh, oops, I think....
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Meh I liked my suggestion of the Victoria Tsunami better.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

The fans will end up just calling them "The Cats"

#57 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

What the hell is a Harbour Cat ?

First thing that came to mind was the Fast Cat ferries and the logo looks the same too

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Our Mayor, HarbourCats GM Holly Jones, and the Shark Club girls!

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Fast Cat logo:

Source

Know it all.

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Reminded me of Laser Cats.

What probably happened was they got together in the board room and made two columns on the whiteboard. First, they brainstormed geographical landmarks. In the second column they listed relevant animal names. A lot of the good names were tossed out as they had already been used, like Seals and lions and various types of salmon. By the end of the afternoon the last names remaining were Harbour and Cats. They handed the name off to the only guy in the room that could work Adobe Illustrator and there we are.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users