• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#161 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Is he out?

Might never be out, just been (March 2016) declared dangerous offender.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#162 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

^Manley Eng? I thought he was released several years ago and was living with his parents in Saanich.

#163 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

^Manley Eng? I thought he was released several years ago and was living with his parents in Saanich.

Oh ya, my mistake.  All the serial arsonists seem alike to me:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ender-1.3514836

Victoria arsonist Daniel Charles Sutherland declared dangerous offender

Judge gives firebug indeterminate sentence after criminal history that includes multiple blazes

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#164 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

Manley Eng, living with his parents and no bail conditions.

http://www.canada.co...8c-45ba7d88a6f8

#165 LJ

LJ
  • 12,790 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

So I guess we can assume the sprinkler system in the new condos was not energized. How about in the occupied ones?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#166 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

Any word on whether this was an arsonist? Could be related to the fire at home depot

#167 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

Police were being cagey, saying only that it was prudent to call it suspicious until proven accidental. Saanich fire seemed to lean more toward suspicious than accidental.

Cedar Hill opened late this afternoon, giving the public the first closeup look of the remains of Cedar Walk.

I see that three buildings were involved--Cedar Walk was destroyed, one phase of Gardiner's Green had the facing facade completely burned away and another separate building had some damage.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#168 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

So I guess we can assume the sprinkler system in the new condos was not energized. How about in the occupied ones?

The new building was still quite early in construction, as this dramatic video taken a few hours before the fire will show.  I doubt sprinklers were installed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N36B9l9JNvY 

• Rob Randall and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#169 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:35 PM

What are the financial impacts to the developer in a case like this? Insurance must cover most of the costs. I guess now they rebuild?

#170 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:59 AM

What are the financial impacts to the developer in a case like this? Insurance must cover most of the costs. I guess now they rebuild?

Oh ya it would be insured the holder of the first mortgage would make sure of that.

#171 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:20 AM

The developer says they will rebuild.

#172 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,391 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

I own in a building on the mainland that had a similar situation 9 yrs ago where one building burnt down, and another was damaged. Ultimately, the developer did finish the buildings, but went bankrupt soon after - though I don't know how related it was to the fire. Insurance maybe covered the loss, but not the time lost to the developer? as it sets them months or a year behind schedule.

#173 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:27 PM

Yeah I can't imagine it's good for the business

#174 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Are there still street closures in the area of the Cedar Hill fire?

#175 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

No, just drove through an hour ago.
  • 57WestHills likes this

#176 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

Thanks!

#177 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,170 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

^ Isn't that nice....one VV addict helping another...  :)

• todd and 3isenough like this

#178 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

At the rate which the exposed wood went up at the recent Cedar Hill Road fire, there are other precautions a homeowner can take.

Many people spread bark mulch on their gardens to help keep the weeds down, but this could fuel a fire close to your home if a cigarette lands in it.

http://www.nanaimobu.../379593921.html

http://www.richmond-...n-heat-1.493511

#179 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

At the rate which the exposed wood went up at the recent Cedar Hill Road fire, there are other precautions a homeowner can take.

Many people spread bark mulch on their gardens to help keep the weeds down, but this could fuel a fire close to your home if a cigarette lands in it.

http://www.nanaimobu.../379593921.html

http://www.richmond-...n-heat-1.493511

Also it doesn't do your plants very much good if you're using Cedar bark mulch as it contains a natural toxin which kills weeds... and your plants(or at least makes them sick or the very least not very happy, unless your growing a cedar tree)there's better mulchs out there(probably less flammable but no guarantee).

Once put a match out in a cedar planter without thinking much about it other people had used it for putting out Cigarettes in the past I could see, what I did not realize is that the soil was mostly peat moss and had dried out and is very flammable at that point(since learned some people actually use peat moss to heat their house). Went to bed about four hours later/3:00am the Dog woke me up poking at me a bit didn't think too much of it decided to get up to use the washroom look out the window, I think "oh left the porch light on" I double take to realize it's a blazing fire on the deck it had burned through the peat moss and the cedar planter and had engulfed the entire corner of the deck/vinyl siding, I quickly grabbed the fire extinguisher and without thinking it through very much open the door and run out onto the deck with flaming vinyl siding dripping down around my head and heavy smoke coming my way as I exit the doorway, sprayed it down with the first fire extinguisher amazingly got most of it out ran back in grabbed the second extinguisher and knocked it down. I couldn't believe it luckily only destroyed the deck and a good chunk of outer vinyl siding/outer wall for the most part, another couple minutes of sleeping the whole house/me could be have of been gone.

#180 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

I hope the dog got a treat for that :)

• Nparker and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users