BUILT
1008 Pandora
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1008 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1008 Pandora is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial building on Pandora A... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1008 Pandora on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1008 Pandora | Rentals; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#141 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Nice find Dylan! That would soooo be nice if that was built. It sure looks like a grocery store on the Pandora side. I expect the locals will be against this version too. I saw a poo-poo sign in the Yoka Coffee Place on Mason the other day and was wondering why they were still going on about a project that was dead.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Looks like a new incarnation for sure and Bosa is behind it (despite earlier reports that the project had been canceled).

One thing I don't understand is why the description lists the project as five storeys when it is clearly six with even a seventh at the Pandora/Vancouver corner.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

I also assumed this project was dead; killed by a selfish band of short-sighted NIMBYs. The revised designs are nice, but I doubt they will overcome the misguided principles of the local anti-development brigade. I suspect an abandoned school is the best we'll see on this site for some time.

BTW what has happened to the saving a portion of the St. Andrew's tower?

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

I've contacted Bosa for more info. We'll get to the bottom of this but I did notice that the file names appear to indicate a date. The rendering depicting the Vancouver/Pandora corner includes 1_20_14 in the name. Make of that what you will.

But yeah, it looks like the school is now out of the question.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

The new Pandora side looks way better without it. I would bet that with a year lost on fighting this already is going to mean that the cost to saving the school got to be too much. With the way the rendering looks I am not going to be sorry to see it go. 

It has a whole new look!

#146 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

I am not sorry to see it go either. I just feel this will give the NIMBYs even more ammunition in their insane, yet somehow influential, fight against a worthwhile project.

#147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

Looks better without the school, hey?

Know it all.

#148 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

That would be funny, eh? Hudson says they tried for years but never attracted a grocery tenant, then Thrifty's moves in next door.

Every food retailer was approached regarding the Hudson. The loading for a large scale retailer was terrible and the support posts on that level comprised 10% of the floor area and the owner was not prepared to remove them from the chargeable foot print.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#149 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

Surprisingly the revised renderings look a lot better than the originals.

I'm glad the NIMBYs haven't killed this. I have no idea what their issues could possibly be (aside from change = bad), but the area bordered by Pandora, Bay, Cook and Quadra has so much potential to be an awesome neighbourhood.

• Mike K. likes this

#150 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

I guess I think the planning process is kind of working in this case.  I think the Mason St neighbors had a pretty legitimate complaint about a 6.5 storey building against the south side of a very narrow street.  I'd have been fine with even more density on Pandora though.

Whats the green space on the east side of the renderings?  Is that Franklin Green or extra green space that is part of this proposal?  Extending Franklin Green would be a great amenity.  

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Bosa has confirmed the project is not canceled and is indeed moving forward. Talk of cancellation centered around the developer pulling the proposal off the shelves last year due to opposition. So in one sense the initial proposal was canceled and what we're looking at now is a more refined and hopefully more palatable design that addresses the key issues raised over the previous design.

Know it all.

#152 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Whats the green space on the east side of the renderings?  Is that Franklin Green or extra green space that is part of this proposal?  Extending Franklin Green would be a great amenity.  

Yes that is Franklin Green. Given the large amount of park space in the area and the extreme underuse of Franklin Green I hope that there are no plans to make it bigger. 

• Nparker likes this

It has a whole new look!

#153 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

^ What park space?  The boulevard on Pandora? 

#154 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

I don't like that the old tower was removed without much change to the design. This tells me that very little thought went into creatively integrating the old structure with the new.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#155 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

That seems to be quite a large space for sitting around and doing nuthin' on the corner there. Methinks it might not be the best fit for this neighbourhood.

#156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

That seems to be quite a large space for sitting around and doing nuthin' on the corner there. Methinks it might not be the best fit for this neighbourhood.

Huh? As opposed to the "great fit" of an abandoned school.

#157 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

St. Andrew's School

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#158 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

The "it" in this case would be the large space on the corner, not the entire building. My point is, the space near the corner was already quite large in the version that included the remnant of the school. It seems to have grown some more in this new image.

#159 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Don't people need to learn that you hold up progress, your gonna get spanked and have something you like taken away?!?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#160 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Don't people need to learn that you hold up progress, you're gonna get spanked and have something you like taken away?!?

That's not fair. It seems pretty clear (to me at least) that the developer has made significant changes to the design to specifically address the concerns put forward by some of the neighbours. In the process a certain amount of density appears to have been lost. If this loss needs to be recouped through the removal of the St. Andrew's tower (undoubtedly a cost-savings) then perhaps that's the price that has to be paid. Maybe if there had been stronger support for the previous design the tower would still be there.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users