BUILT
1008 Pandora
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1008 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1008 Pandora is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial building on Pandora A... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1008 Pandora on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1008 Pandora | Rentals; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#1941 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

From "Bike parking at a premium" in the Victoria News:

One of the best examples is the Save-On-Foods grocery store now open at the corner of Pandora Avenue and Vancouver Street. When it opened recently, a lot of people rejoiced for simple reasons, said Gornall.

It is on the way home, along the Pandora and (coming) Vancouver bike lane route and makes it easy to get groceries, he said.

Is it just me or have Victorians toned down the negativity somewhat regarding this development? My memory is hazy but I seem to recall this project wasn't warmly received in the beginning.

#1942 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

I saw part of the public hearing. A lot of the opposition came from NPNA; I don’t think that the DRA had significant concerns (although their CALUC would not have weighed in on it).

The project was approved on a 5-4 vote with Helps casting her vote in favour.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 27 August 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#1943 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,688 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

...Is it just me or have Victorians toned down the negativity somewhat regarding this development?...

I saw part of the public hearing. A lot of the opposition came from NPNA...

As KK suggests, a majority of the opposition to this project came from the NPNA, who are thoroughly anti-gentrification, and seem to believe there is some sort of nobility about living in squalor. This project actually received quite a bit of support from other Victorians.

#1944 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:33 AM

One can make a case about dysfunction at the community association level when such a slam dunk project supported by the community at-large was described as a community-harming mega-project.

We saw the same level of animosity for 200 Cook.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1945 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,688 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:53 AM

And we'll see it again with the Wellburn's redevelopment proposal. 

#1946 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

There's a new bike repair station including a bike pump, similar to what's on the Galloping Goose in a few locations, at the plaza in front of the Save on Foods, and bike parking for 22 bikes now. The new bike lane on the northbound side of Vancouver seems complete as well (save for maybe some paint markings).

#1947 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

I noticed that the separated bike lane on Vancouver along the 1008 Pandora frontage is only wide enough to permit travel in one direction.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1948 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:03 PM

We've talked about the prevalence of vinyl siding/cladding appearing in downtown Victoria as of late, including at this project.

Here's what they're doing out in Langford, where the current crop of rental buildings are appearing with this smooth metallic/possibly vinyl siding.

Thoughts?

(The completed building is here, the u/c building is here).

Langford-rental-buildings.jpg

Know it all.

#1949 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:39 PM

I noticed that the separated bike lane on Vancouver along the 1008 Pandora frontage is only wide enough to permit travel in one direction.

Vancouver St has one-way protected bike lanes, one on other side of the street.

#1950 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

It does!? Like along its entire length?

Know it all.

#1951 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

It does!? Like along its entire length?

For all the sections that are protected, yes. That is Balmoral to Meares, currently

• Mike K. likes this

#1952 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:12 AM

Living on the top floor, it would have been nice to get covered balconies... 

We've talked about the prevalence of vinyl siding/cladding appearing in downtown Victoria as of late, including at this project.

Here's what they're doing out in Langford, where the current crop of rental buildings are appearing with this smooth metallic/possibly vinyl siding.

Thoughts?

Langford-rental-buildings.jpg

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#1953 NinVic

NinVic
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

Thoughts?

attachicon.gifLangford-rental-buildings.jpg

I'm not sure that's vinyl, more likely smooth cement fiber panels with easytrim alumium around or some bent sheet metal. I'd have to see it again to be more sure.  I'm pretty sure vinyl siding does not have the fire combustion resistance rating required for 4 or 6 storey buldings.  Smooth shiplap hardie or other cement fiber panels can look pretty smooth/plastic like.

I'm more interested in the Crosslam CLT beams being used in building nextdoor instead of convention floor trusses.  We need to see more of that.

• Mike K. likes this

#1954 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Bosa's commercial leasing page indicates a deal pending for CRU4. Hopefully we'll be hearing about this and other tenants sooner rather than later

Edited by Jackerbie, 25 November 2019 - 12:41 PM.

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#1955 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:09 PM

I wonder if the parkade access/entrance could have not been designed better given the massive footprint of this complex. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1956 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

A view from 989 Johnson.

Attached Images

• 1008 pandora.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker and johnk like this

#1957 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,688 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:26 PM

There's an abundance of room for densification and some moderate vertical growth in my 'hood.

• Bernard likes this

#1958 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:12 PM

Any updates from anyone on the commercial units along Vancouver?

#1959 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:30 AM

Does anyone have any photos of the inside?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#1960 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,688 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

Perhaps the title of this thread should be updated to "Complete" or does this need to wait until all the commercial spaces are occupied?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users