Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#3721 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,503 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Again,

I'm confused as to why a real estate pumping crowd would be so against protected bike lanes...

“The new bike lanes are absolutely an attractive selling point, putting Atlanta in the limelight as a progressive city,” she said. “There’s a shortage of inventory in the Atlanta real estate market right now. The metro area was down 21 percent in inventory this time last year (2012), so when you add a citywide initiative like this, I think we’re going to be seeing listings that would have been sitting for 60 to 90 days a few years ago, going under contract within 24 hours — easy.”

Vancouver saw a similar effect in 2010 with 65 percent of realtors using new bikeways as a selling feature on a home.Pittsburgh, whose bike lanes were added in 2007, found that bike lanes not only influenced residential real estate activity, but ignited commercial and business activity as well. And, in North Carolina, realtors found that 40 homes adjacent to the Shepherd’s Vineway Bikeway saw property increases of $5,000 and up.

http://atlanta.curbe...correlation.php

Edited by dasmo, 15 April 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#3722 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,503 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Fairfax interviewed Nic, a local real estate agent, who said that the Bourke Street bike path has had a “positive effect and influence on sales in the area” as well as Don, an owner-builder, selling a recently renovated million dollar property. Don explained the combination of a garage at the rear and the bike path out the front had added a premium of $100,000 to his house. Like many, Don had been sceptical, particularly because of the loss of on-street car parking, but now that the Parisian style bike boulevard with gardens and street lamps has been finished, even he agrees that Bourke Street “looks good”.
A model developed in the US, as part of research that examined factors affecting property values in Delaware, showed that a bicycle path would be expected to increase property values by about US$8,800. The research indicated that the presence of a bike path either increased property values and ease of sale slightly or had no effect. http://thisbigcity.n...st-the-economy/

Edited by dasmo, 15 April 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#3723 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,503 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

Summary Opinion of Research Review The majority of studies indicate that the presence of a bike path/trail either increases property values and ease of sale slightly or has no effect. Studies have shown that neighbors of many bike paths/trails feel that the quality of life of their neighborhood has been improved, that the trails were a good use of open space, and in the case of abandoned railways were an improvement from before the trails went in. There is definitely a large portion of the population that sees bike paths as an amenity and will seek out residences near trails, parks, and other natural resource areas.http://128.175.63.72...kepathfinal.pdf

#3724 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

As we walked up Pandora near the coffee shop I couldn't help but think how much better it was for those customers sitting outside.  There's such a huge buffer to the traffic now, less noise and more importantly less exhaust fumes.   :)

34059111215_8af2c4d656_h.jpg

• dasmo, thundergun and 57WestHills like this

#3725 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hi Gary...how is there less noise ? the same amount of traffic travels that road there will be even more traffic once the bridge is open

#3726 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,503 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hi Gary...how is there less noise ? the same amount of traffic travels that road there will be even more traffic once the bridge is open

It's called the inverse square law....
  • Matt R. and nerka like this

#3727 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

A lot more idling traffic, I would be concerned about fumes
  • sebberry, Bingo and Midnightly like this

#3728 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

Bike lanes open on Monday.  It's a bit odd that Lisa Helps today on CFAX does not know how they work, with signalling etc.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3729 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

It's called the inverse square law....

Except previously parked cars provided a buffer for noise. Now there's nothing.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3730 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

I hear her too but and am certain she said the bike lanes will open on May 14 Mothers Day with a big event.

I also heard her explain how they work. either the bike lane or the car lane will have a green light not both at the same time. they are also going to eliminate cars make right turns on a red light so as to prevent them from driving across the bike lane when it has a green..A very good idea.

Edited by HB, 26 April 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#3731 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

The host said Mother's Day, she said the 1st.  And so does CBC.

At least 2 sections are of course missing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3732 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

The host said Mother's Day, she said the 1st.  And so does CBC.

At least 2 sections are of course missing.

The soft launch is the 1st, the 14th is the big celebration ride

The two missing sections are partially done. The paint is down in the Bosa development (1000 block) and the paint was partially down by the Jawl building (700 block)

#3733 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

I was optimistic of what these would look like but find they look real good. the islands have been planted with trees and grass. Very appealing to the eye. Not just a curb and dashed lines with pictures of bike on them.

#3734 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

At least 2 bus shelters and one entire bus stop have been eliminated in the creation of these bus lanes. I am not sure this is an appropriate trade-off if the whole purpose is to get people to use alternate transportation methods. As recently mentioned in a letter to the Times Colonist, it would seem "the biggest problem faced by Transit: the assignment or right-of-way to move the few while making it difficult for those who move the many" .

#3735 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:42 PM

At least 2 bus shelters and one entire bus stop have been eliminated in the creation of these bus lanes. I am not sure this is an appropriate trade-off if the whole purpose is to get people to use alternate transportation methods. As recently mentioned in a letter to the Times Colonist, it would seem "the biggest problem faced by Transit: the assignment or right-of-way to move the few while making it difficult for those who move the many" .

I'm more than ok with it.  Appropriate enough for me.  Can't wait to ride down from Pandora on Monday morning in the new bike lane.

#3736 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:16 AM

she said yesterday the bus shelters will be replaced ..the reference was also to one by Welburns

#3737 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:18 AM

The "me first" attitude of some cyclists is not an endearing quality.
  • Midnightly likes this

#3738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:26 AM

We desperately need more cyclist education in this city. Yesterday afternoon coming out of the Delta on a green light I was turning east onto the bridge. What suddenly came at me were cyclists also turning east but from the opposite end of Harbour Road. They disobeyed the fact I had the right of way and I had to come to a screeching halt. Had it not been for my girlfriend in the car I would have not seen them b-lining for me and about to cross my path.

Unbelievable.

As for right turns on red lights along Pandora, the mayor said she didn't know how that would go and said the transport guru at city hall needs to weigh in, so as to HB's post, we don't know yet how the red light situation will play out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3739 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

If the cyclists have a red while cars have a green, I know it won't play well.  Most serious cyclists will not use the lane if that's the case.  And it's not going to attract many 8-year-olds out with parents.  

#3740 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

Cars cannot turn right either off of or onto Pandora on a red light.  When the bike phase is green my understanding is the ped phase is as well.  So all the poor people on bikes or walking can clear the way for the right turn phase which will be a separate phase, so my understanding is these will be the easiest right turns to make by car in the entire downtown.  Right now right turns are a pain in the $$$ downtown because there's all these people walking in crosswalks and such.  Would be so much easier if they just drove and didn't slow traffic by clogging up crosswalks.

Bollards will be going in the buffers next month, presumably with the parking space numbers on them.

The big enigma for me is a half finished mid block crossing between Cook and Vancouver.  I get the impression it may be unfinished for a while?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users