Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#3741 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

... so my understanding is these will be the easiest right turns to make by car in the entire downtown.  Right now right turns are a pain in the $$$ downtown because there's all these people walking in crosswalks and such.  Would be so much easier if they just drove and didn't slow traffic by clogging up crosswalks.

So if I'm inbound on Cook, and my light is green at Pandora, you are saying I can simply make my right with ease, because there will be no pedestrians crossing to and from Wellburns?  I think you have that wrong.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3742 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

So if I'm inbound on Cook, and my light is green at Pandora, you are saying I can simply make my right with ease, because there will be no pedestrians crossing to and from Wellburns?  I think you have that wrong.

I'd have to go have a peek for how it works going onto Pandora, to see if there's a separate right turn light there too.  Certainly turning off Pandora there is a separate phase for right turns just like the left turns we're used to, where we cannot turn left unless the special light is green.  It's either like that for coming onto Pandora or it just uses the normal phasing for the cross street and you'd still need to watch for peds crossing Pandora from that green space to Wellburns.

#3743 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Reading the city's website it would appear to be the latter.  Uses normal phasing and you need to watch for peds like normal, but the bikes will be stopped.

#3744 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

All of your questions can be found online, folks. The City has some great information on their Pandora Ave page.

http://www.victoria....andora-ave.html

• 57WestHills likes this

#3745 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

As for right turns on red lights along Pandora, the mayor said she didn't know how that would go and said the transport guru at city hall needs to weigh in, so as to HB's post, we don't know yet how the red light situation will play out.

Per the City website...

Changes for People Driving
  • Vehicles can no longer turn right at a red light along Pandora Avenue between Cook Street and Store Street
  • Vehicles can no longer turn right onto Pandora Avenue on a red light from any of the streets between Store Street and Cook Street
  • Vehicles turning right off Pandora Avenue will have an exclusive right turn phase; Vehicles can only turn right onto Pandora Avenue on a green light
  • Vehicles exiting or entering driveways or side streets that cross through the bike lanes must be aware of two-way cycling traffic

#3746 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Reading the city's website it would appear to be the latter.  Uses normal phasing and you need to watch for peds like normal, but the bikes will be stopped.

East/West bikes would of course be stopped, like all traffic is now when it's green for Cook traffic.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3747 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Changes for People Driving
  • Vehicles can no longer turn right at a red light along Pandora Avenue between Cook Street and Store Street
  • Vehicles can no longer turn right onto Pandora Avenue on a red light from any of the streets between Store Street and Cook Street
  • Vehicles turning right off Pandora Avenue will have an exclusive right turn phase; Vehicles can only turn right onto Pandora Avenue on a green light
  • Vehicles exiting or entering driveways or side streets that cross through the bike lanes must be aware of two-way cycling traffic

•  

You can still tun left onto Pandora off any cross street (when you are northbound) on a red light though!

#3748 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

You're not having to cross through the cycle track, so that makes sense.

Tell that to the the cross traffic sitting at the red though who always have that dumbfounded look on their face when you make the "left on a red onto a one-way" play...so many people don't know that.

• jonny likes this

#3749 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

•  

You can still tun left onto Pandora off any cross street (when you are northbound) on a red light though!

EDIT i can't read apparently.

Edited by nagel, 27 April 2017 - 08:17 AM.

#3750 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

• Frankly that might be the toughest one for drivers to come to grips with.  Leaving McDonald's is likely the busiest one.

• shoeflack likes this

#3751 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Yes you can and that will make an interesting situation driving the wrong way up the one way street.

Northbound on Cook, left onto Pandora after a full stop at the red, I think I'm going the right way.

• nagel likes this

#3752 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Frankly that might be the toughest one for drivers to come to grips with.  Leaving McDonald's is likely the busiest one.

Especially considering how many people have one hand in the brown bag trying to grab some fresh fries while they pull out from their trip through the drive thru!...definitely not speaking from experience here  :muching_out:

Edited by shoeflack, 27 April 2017 - 08:23 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and nagel like this

#3753 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

•  

• Frankly that might be the toughest one for drivers to come to grips with.  Leaving McDonald's is likely the busiest one.

Yes and for people on bikes we're going to have to be hyper aware when crossing McD's.

#3754 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

What is not clearly defined is how bikes are to get on and off the track mid-way.  

For example:  I'm on a bike, northbound on Cook, and want to get onto the track and head towards the bridge.  I've got a green light, I'm in the left/through lane, I roll well into the intersection while through traffic facing me comes through...  now what?  I'm guessing cars behind me will turn left before I can (they turn into the first Pandora lane, I'm technically heading for the 4th one - two car lanes 2nd bike lane), but three do that behind me, then one comes right through and I'm in a dead stop waiting for that last through vehicle, the fourth car does not see me and rear ends me 7/8 of the way through the intersection.

#3755 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

What is not clearly defined is how bikes are to get on and off the track mid-way.  

Like inside the block?  Put your bike in the cycle track and hop on?

#3756 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

For example:  I'm on a bike, northbound on Cook, and want to get onto the track and head towards the bridge.  I've got a green light, I'm in the left/through lane, I roll well into the intersection while through traffic facing me comes through...  now what?  I'm guessing cars behind me will turn left before I can (they turn into the first Pandora lane, I'm technically heading for the 4th one - two car lanes 2nd bike lane), but three do that behind me, then one comes right through and I'm in a dead stop waiting for that last through vehicle, the fourth car does not see me and rear ends me 7/8 of the way through the intersection.

If you're riding North at any cross street you do not turn left into the cycle track, you continue in the right 'bike lane' and pull into the cycle track to the right, and wait for the cycle track light to head West... that's my read of the images on the City site

activetrans-pandora-turns-east.jpg

#3757 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

South on a cross street onto the cycle track seems pretty straight forward... 

activetrans-pandora-turns-north.jpg

Getting off the cycle track is where it'll get interesting...

activetrans-pandora-turns-left.jpg

activetrans-pandora-turns.jpg

• thundergun likes this

#3758 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

Especially considering how many people have one hand in the brown bag trying to grab some fresh fries while they pull out from their trip through the drive thru!...definitely not speaking from experience here  :muching_out:

There's something particularly gross about fry-grease covered fingers on the steering wheel and shifter.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3759 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

If you're riding North at any cross street you do not turn left into the cycle track, you continue in the right 'bike lane' and pull into the cycle track to the right, and wait for the cycle track light to head West... that's my read of the images on the City site

That's almost laughable, nobody is going to do that.  Why would I blow off my light and wait?

#3760 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

That's almost laughable, nobody is going to do that.  Why would I blow off my light and wait?

I looked at these and thought the same thing. Very few cyclists will know about these rules let along follow them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users