Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#3781 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

City staff are positioned at the intersections now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3782 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

First bike rage incident of the day perhaps:

File_006 (14).jpeg

The cyclist gave the driver an earful.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3783 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:45 AM

For what? He has a RED, he shouldn't even be crossing the road. Vehicle traffic on Pandora has a GREEN, which means the drivers in that photo has every right to cross the crosswalk/bike lane and enter Pandora.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3784 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

But ... but ... we had a consultant come in all the way from Switzerland to help design this puzzle - how could everybody not know what they're supposed to be doing as assorted lights flash, blink, and change intensity?

#3785 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

For what? He has a RED, he shouldn't even be crossing the road. Vehicle traffic on Pandora has a GREEN, which means the drivers in that photo has every right to cross the crosswalk/bike lane and enter Pandora.

No, the bike has a green, bikes and pedestrians have the same green.  See the bike sign in the green light over his head...

• jonny, Daveyboy and 57WestHills like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3786 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

Hard to tell by that picture but it actually looks like the driver has a red and the cyclist has a green.  that green light appears to be the bike symbol.  So that car should be behind the bike box and not doing a red light right turn.

Anyways almost 2 hours in and no dead cyclists this is going better than expected.

• jonny and mbjj like this

#3787 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

No he doesn't.  You can not run right on the red onto Pandora anywhere along the track.

#3788 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hard to tell by that picture but it actually looks like the driver has a red and the cyclist has a green.  that green light appears to be the bike symbol.  So that car should be behind the bike box and not doing a red light right turn.

Anyways almost 2 hours in and no dead cyclists this is going better than expected.

Correct.

At every intersection though there is now a City worker with a 11x17 paper sign showing "no right turn on red".  So it's held up by a worker at each light cycle.  

#3789 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

For Christ sakes. This is nuts. Nobody is expecting a bicycle to suddenly dart out onto a one-way street from the opposite direction from behind a giant wall (city hall).

I admit I was nervous driving down Pandora and I'm not a nervous driver. There's too much happening.

Know it all.

#3790 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Correct.

At every intersection though there is now a City worker with a 11x17 paper sign showing "no right turn on red".  So it's held up by a worker at each light cycle.  

totally sustainable at 30-40$ an hour per corner lolz.

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R. and jonny like this

#3791 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

For Christ sakes. This is nuts. Nobody is expecting a bicycle to suddenly dart out onto a one-way street from the opposite direction from behind a giant wall (city hall).

I admit I was nervous driving down Pandora and I'm not a nervous driver. There's too much happening.

It did not help that crews were taking up lanes on Pandora at 7:00am at 1515 Douglas removing the lane thingys the bus had complained about.

#3792 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

If you're driving and you literally follow the signs and lights (no right on red) you won't have an issue.

• Daveyboy and shoeflack like this

#3793 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Oh yeah, I noticed that too. I drove the stretch twice and the second time their position further complicated things.

I did also notice that the right turn-only lane on Pandora at Store is not resonating with drivers this morning. Maybe there's sign fatigue? I dunno.

Know it all.

#3794 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

If you're driving and you literally follow the signs and lights (no right on red) you won't have an issue.

That's not the point, the point is drivers approach the intersection on a green, at speed, and see the bike lane light is green (in a spot where everywhere else in the western world is a location where advanced green arrows for right-hand turns are located). Only then do they notice the red applies to THEM, and come to a sudden stop, or just blow it anyway.

In the few moments that I was there I saw this, and that's kinda scary.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#3795 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

That's not the point, the point is drivers approach the intersection on a green, at speed, and see the bike lane is green (which everywhere else in the world is a location where advanced green arrows for right-hand turn are located). Only then do they noticed the red applies to THEM, and come to a sudden stop, or just blow it anyway.

In the few moments that I was there I saw this, and that's kinda scary.

It can take time for people to adjust to the new signalling.  Remember when they added the 3 way stop at Borden and Cedar Hill in Saanich and there was that video of 5-6 cars in a row blowing through it?  Now people use it just fine.

• shoeflack likes this

#3796 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

I drive that stretch of Vancouver and Balmoral quite often. Thanks for the heads up!

• Mike K. likes this

#3797 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

If I rode a bike, I wouldn't ride on Pandora...seems way too dangerous now.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3798 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

Just came in on Pandora on my bike.  I did pay more attention for sure, however riding from Cook to Douglas along Pandora before the bike lanes required both cyclist and driver to pay close attention to what they were doing, and what the others are doing, including pedestrians.

There is a steady stream of cyclists going past my office in the bike lane now that the regular commute time is on.

#3799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

It can take time for people to adjust to the new signalling.  Remember when they added the 3 way stop at Borden and Cedar Hill in Saanich and there was that video of 5-6 cars in a row blowing through it?  Now people use it just fine.

Borden at Cedar Hill is peanuts compared to Pandora.

Know it all.

#3800 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:14 AM

Can someone tell me, when looking at the above photo showing the green for the cyclist, I don't see anything to indicate that that green is for the cyclist? Perhaps it isn't visible in the pic? As a driver, that green is what I would see most likely.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users