Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#3801 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

At every intersection though there is now a City worker with a 11x17 paper sign showing "no right turn on red".  So it's held up by a worker at each light cycle.  

BIKE COUNT:

7:45am to 8:15am

Pandora, just west of Quadra

50 westbound in track.

8 eastbound in track.

3 westbound outside of track.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3802 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

Here is the guy that hold up the "no right on red" sign each cycle.

File_000 (69).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3803 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

Can someone tell me, when looking at the above photo showing the green for the cyclist, I don't see anything to indicate that that green is for the cyclist? Perhaps it isn't visible in the pic? As a driver, that green is what I would see most likely.

That green is actually a bicycle, not a normal green circle.  It's not a good angle so you can't tell it's showing Pandora bike traffic it's green, and not an indicator for any other direction/form of traffic.

#3804 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:19 AM

Can someone tell me, when looking at the above photo showing the green for the cyclist, I don't see anything to indicate that that green is for the cyclist? Perhaps it isn't visible in the pic? As a driver, that green is what I would see most likely.

The light is projected in the shape of a bicycle, but when taking a cursory glance at the lights (which drivers do, they don't fixate on the lights) it appears as a solid advanced green indicator – which further implies you've got clearance from all sides to take your turn, but then you realize you also have a red, which makes you question what the heck is going on tune in to the shape of the bicycle-only green. Older drivers are going to have trouble with this one, for sure.

In the summer months we see hoards of drivers entering one-way streets from the wrong way. Tons. And the signage is universal, it's clear, and there are visual queues to identify one-way traffic. But it still happens.

• VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3805 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

Maybe not visible in the picture.  The green light is a symbol of a bike, and likely identifiable for most who have suitable eyesight for driving and cycling in traffic.

• mbjj likes this

#3806 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

That green is actually a bicycle, not a normal green circle.  It's not a good angle so you can't tell it's showing Pandora bike traffic it's green, and not an indicator for any other direction/form of traffic.

That's right, it's clearly a bike.

#3807 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

The light is projected in the shape of a bicycle, but when taking a cursory glance at the lights (which drivers do, they don't fixate on the lights) it appears as a solid advanced green indicator – which further implies you've got clearance from all sides to take your turn, but then you realize you also have a red, which makes you question what the heck is going on tune in to the shape of the bicycle-only green. Older drivers are going to have trouble with this one, for sure.

This is also true.

#3808 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

While I hate to over-clutter, they could, where they have the STOP LINE sign and arrow, also have the "no right turn on red" sign.  Otherwise I'm not sure it could be marked any better, really.

I'll run another count from 8:30 to 8:45 then go speak with the City worker with the paper sign.

#3809 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

...The situation on that street is now too hectic. Signs everywhere, lights constantly changing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9lh7lqZojc

#3810 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

They shouldn't have city workers with No Right On Red signs, they should have cops there with ticket books.

If you can't read the sign, you deserve a ticket. # :cop: #:Kim Jong Un:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3811 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

It makes no sense that cars are prohibited from turning right on red while bike's are not. Is this an implicit admission that bikes will run red lights and allowing cars to turn on red would risk collisions?

#3812 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

While I hate to over-clutter, they could, where they have the STOP LINE sign and arrow, also have the "no right turn on red" sign.  Otherwise I'm not 

8:30 to 9:00

34 bike westbound in track

7 eastbound in track

1 westbound  on road

1 westbound on sidewalk

1 eastbound on sidewalk

#3813 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

But ... but .... the architect of all of this came all the way from Switzerland to tell us what to do?

How can people not understand lights and signals that they've never seen before, and that the City has spent zero dollars and zero effort in making sure that people understand what they mean BEFORE opening the bike lanes to cyclists?

Seriously though, I think most rational people knew that this would be a cluster while they were watching it being built ... no real surprises to be had on day #1.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3814 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

My cursory observations over about a minute on Douglas at Pandora.

One vehicle turned the wrong way up Pandora

Two vehicles ran the red turn light

One driver honked at a vehicle stopped at red turn light

Four cyclists were queued eastbound at the light, they appeared to be city workers

I'll be rolling video soon. In fact this reminds me of the unveiling of the HOV lanes on Douglas when cars kept parking behind 3PM. Lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3815 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

CTV just ran a red light from Douglas onto Pandora, lol.
  • VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

Know it all.

#3816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Reverend Al in his Dandelion van just ran a red.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 4 others like this

Know it all.

#3817 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

Saw the same things when walking into work along Pandora.  3 different vehicles turned right on the red - city workers at Vancouver and Pandora talking that this was an issue.

I would think, similar to Douglas HOV parking, that over time people will get used to the changes and the number of red turns against the signal will go down to a minimal amount.

Oh, and Shatterbox and Relish should see if they can do a patio during the summer to get visits from the increased bike traffic.

From a pedestrian standpoint today - nothing much stood out - save probably for increased safety crossing Blanshard as vehicle traffic turning right needed to wait for the signal

"I know nothing"

#3818 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

web1_VN-Pandora-Bike-Lanes-Open-1-P-May0

http://www.vicnews.c...s-open-for-use/

#3819 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

I was one of those bikes you counted! Lanes were quite nice. I almost blew an intersection by accident, and a truck almost killed me. But all in all I suspect it'll be fine in six weeks and we will have a new minor infrastructure project to overreact too.
  • VicHockeyFan, Greg, jonny and 3 others like this

#3820 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

VV's got

VIDEO  :1954_dancing:  :banana:  :wave:  :redface:  :judge:  :whyme:  :muching_out:  :cheers:  :rtfm:  :muching_out: 

• mbjj likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users