Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#4101 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:32 AM

I was downtown today and man the pandora bike lane was busy! Kids riding on them even! Instant Europe. I declare it a huge success already!

Grand opening celebration, free cake will do that! 🎂

#4102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

The bike lane was completely devoid of cyclists for much of the day after the event at City Hall.

It's actually quite comical how barren it looks compared to vehicle traffic and (even) the volume of pedestrians.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

...It's actually quite comical how barren it looks compared to vehicle traffic and (even) the volume of pedestrians.

I am not sure I would say comical (not after $3.4 million in construction costs anyway) but I agree the vehicle and pedestrian volumes along this same stretch of Pandora are significantly higher than cyclists most of the time. To be fair, the lanes are still new and usage may increase as more people discover this route. I don't think we've quite reached dasmo's "instant Europe" biketopia just yet.

• Midnightly likes this

#4104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

Instant Europe sounds great a name for a band, or a type of pot, I guess.

Oh it's bizarre, so bizarre, to have this bi-directional bike lane sitting empty while cars idle while waiting for their magic turning windows. This is all so utterly messed up that the only way you can deal with the expense of it all is through humour.

By the way, notice how there hasn't been an iota of bicycle traffic information coming from the usual suspects?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4105 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

I'd say at least two-thirds of the time I'm waiting to turn right off of Pandora, there's nary a bike in sight for a block in either direction. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

Absolutely there isn't. It's 9/10ths for me. The absolute irony is when I see cyclists getting pissed off when they have a red but vehicles have a green, so they decide to blow the red.

Know it all.

#4107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

...The absolute irony is when I see cyclists getting pissed off when they have a red but vehicles have a green, so they decide to blow the red.

I've noticed that too.

#4108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

By the way, there's a tremendous amount of misinformation being propagated in regards to Victoria's new intersection lights, namely how Vancouverites overcame their issue with them therefore so too will Victoria.

But here's the thing, Vancouverites never had to overcome any sort of learning curve or put up with unnecessarily idling traffic because Vancouver doesn't have the Christmas light show going on that Victoria now does. No jurisdiction in Canada has this sort of setup, in fact.

Here's how right turns are handled along Vancouver's Dunsmuir protected bike lane, and how they should have been handled in Victoria.

dunsmuir.jpg

Know it all.

#4109 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

Instant Europe sounds great a name for a band, or a type of pot, I guess.

Oh it's bizarre, so bizarre, to have this bi-directional bike lane sitting empty while cars idle while waiting for their magic turning windows. This is all so utterly messed up that the only way you can deal with the expense of it all is through humour.

By the way, notice how there hasn't been an iota of bicycle traffic information coming from the usual suspects?

I'll wait for the actual data to be released instead of offering contrarian anecdotal evidence.  The city is collecting data and I think I heard they'll release it in a few weeks.  The > 1,000 figure provided by the mayor is probably accurate on weekdays based on what I've seen (bike in them twice a weekday and walk along Pandora 2-3 more times per weekday).  I have no idea what the numbers are like on the weekend.  Personally I hardly ever come downtown on the weekend unless there's an event (and when there's an event I only cycle in because driving to events is a disaster).

One other point made this morning on CBC 1 by city staff is when the bridge is actually complete (if ever?) the volumes could go way up.  There's a lot of Johnson bike traffic right now because coming off the bridge you're on Johnson and it's a bit of a pain getting over to Pandora so many don't bother (e.g., my wife).  That doesn't really help total numbers though, but remember currently the JSB is a major gap in a safe network, so right now if I bike with my kids to downtown they've have to get off and walk at Harbour Road all the way to Pandora.  That's a long walk.  In January they can bike the entire thing without a dismount.

• thundergun likes this

#4110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

Instant Europe sounds great a name for a band

Might have copyright issues....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

In this case, it's the final countdown to the last day in office for Lisa Helps.

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4111 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

By the way, there's a tremendous amount of misinformation being propagated in regards to Victoria's new intersection lights, namely how Vancouverites overcame their issue with them therefore so too will Victoria.

But here's the thing, Vancouverites never had to overcome any sort of learning curve or put up with unnecessarily idling traffic because Vancouver doesn't have the Christmas light show going on that Victoria now does. No jurisdiction in Canada has this sort of setup, in fact.

Here's how right turns are handled along Vancouver's Dunsmuir protected bike lane, and how they should have been handled in Victoria.

dunsmuir.jpg

Fake news bro.

https://twitter.com/...451483857010689

• Ismo07 likes this

#4112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

Might have copyright issues....

Perhaps "Instant Europe" is a cover band for the big-haired Swedes.

#4113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

Tell that to the mayor, then. I'm going by what she said.

Know it all.

#4114 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

It's all going to change once the new bridge is open. I believe the bike lane will be heavily used when it really connects to something useful.

• Mr.B likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4115 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

I'd actually count myself as one of those that is glad there is a separate right turn phase when driving.  It's actually not easy to turn right downtown with the high pedestrian volumes.  You're screwed on both red and green.  Add to this the cross traffic and two way bike traffic, and I don't think I could safely/adequately collect all that data at the same time to make a decision to turn on Pandora without the separate phase.  With the separate phasing all I have to check for is that nobody is running their red light.  It's easy.

Some of the right turn phases are too short, notably the Blanshard one.

• nerka and MeoBC like this

#4116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

It's all going to change once the new bridge is open. I believe the bike lane will be heavily used when it really connects to something useful.

There will be an increase, for sure.  Plus we'll have ice cream, pop, juice, sandwich bike vendors on the Goose now, right?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4117 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

There will be an increase, for sure.  Plus we'll have ice cream, pop, juice, sandwich bike vendors on the Goose now, right?

That's way too much fun for the CRD to allow it.

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#4118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

I'd actually count myself as one of those that is glad there is a separate right turn phase when driving.  It's actually not easy to turn right downtown with the high pedestrian volumes

It wouldn't be if pedestrians adhered to the simple rule of not entering the crosswalk when the walk signal disappears. All the counters have done is give pedestrians the motivation to cross when they shouldn't be, and that's what causes vehicle back-ups.

Know it all.

#4119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

That's way too much fun for the CRD to allow it.

Ya, probably.  Where does the City section end and the CRD part begin?  Maybe there will be a food stop.  

#4120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

It wouldn't be if pedestrians adhered to the simple rule of not entering the crosswalk when the walk signal disappears. All the counters have done is give pedestrians the motivation to cross when they shouldn't be, and that's what causes vehicle back-ups.

I love the pedestrian counters.  I've devised a formula for when you can make it acroos.

If you are 20 and over, if goes like this:  Take your age, and divide it by 6.   That's the number of seconds a healthy individual can easily make it across in.

If you are 24 years old or under, go ahead and cross on 4 or more seconds.  42, you'll need 7 seconds.  If you are 60 or over, allow at least 10 seconds on the countdown timer.

REMEMBER, do not use this formula if you are under 20.  ie. a 6-year-old can NOT normally make it across in 1 second.  But it's worth a try.

Now, remember you also have to add in the time it takes you to make this calculation before you cross.  But you only have to do it once a year.  When you set your clocks ahead in the spring, re-calibrate, and write the number down on your hand in permanent marker.  Then the following year, wash your hand, and re-calibrate, write the new number down.

I know a lot of you will forget this.  So I've rented a booth at car-free day, and I'll have calculators and permanent markers, along with some custom "CRD Safety Certified" stamps I ordered from Stampers in Quadra Village before they closed.  So you get the stamp, and the number written on your hand.  See ya Father's Day on Douglas!

• lanforod likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users