Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#5881 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

So what is the expected timeline for Cook St Phase 1?

#5882 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

Totally different pots of gas tax. There are two:

Community Works Fund: give out to each muni on a per capita basis. This is what the bike lanes have been funded from (Saanich has also funded bike lanes from this)

Strategic Priorities Fund: this is a competitive fund throughout BC (ex. the Translink service area). This is where the Crystal Pool money is coming from (and where the JSB money comes from)

Phase 3/4 map

Yes but aren't the overruns with the bike lanes being funded by the second fund?

#5883 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

So what is the expected timeline for Cook St Phase 1?

I'm dreading it. I hope never.

• Bob Fugger and Midnightly like this

#5884 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

I'm dreading it. I hope never.

Is there or will there be any "consultation"? Last time I checked, I couldn't find any info.

#5885 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

Is there or will there be any "consultation"? 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• rmpeers and Cats4Hire like this

#5886 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

Is there or will there be any "consultation"? Last time I checked, I couldn't find any info.

You somehow missed several YEARS of consultation on the matter, front original routing work in 2015 and 2016 and final design work last year. Including multiple newspaper articles, online surveys, pop-up events, neighbourhood meetings.

#5887 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

Maybe rmpeers means consultation where those who don't ride bikes feel heard?

• rjag, rmpeers and Cats4Hire like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5888 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

You somehow missed several YEARS of consultation on the matter, front original routing work in 2015 and 2016 and final design work last year. Including multiple newspaper articles, online surveys, pop-up events, neighbourhood meetings.

Well to be fair, if proper consultation was done, we wouldn't have the size issues for transit trying to use Pandora.  I think the point is that the "consultation" offered by the CoV is disingenuous.  Bike lanes will get rammed through as planned regardless of consultation. 

• Nparker, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#5889 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

So after all the consultation what did CSV residents and business say?

I’ll tell you. They are not interested in the lanes thank you very much. Keep your money.

But what’s the City response?
  • sdwright.vic, Cassidy and rmpeers like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5890 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

Gotta agree, you have have to be willing to listen when consulting. Not just go through the motions.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5891 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

Remember when the City consulted tax payers on the bridge design with a public poll? They still chose the design they wanted, not the one people wanted.
  • rjag, GaryRanson and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5892 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

Remember when the City consulted tax payers on the bridge design with a public poll? They still chose the design they wanted, not the one people wanted.

To be fair Mike, those "taxpayers" might have come from anywhere. There was nothing that indicated the feelings of actual Victoria taxpayers. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

To be fair Mike, those "taxpayers" might have come from anywhere. There was nothing that indicated the feelings of actual Victoria taxpayers. 

Excellent! I'm glad you raised this point, and I was hoping someone would.

The City of Victoria routinely collects feedback from individuals on its initiatives, and when asked how the feedback is vetted to ensure only residents/taxpayers chime in, the official position is that it's not necessary to differentiate between residents and non-residents.

So if we accept regional feedback on hyper-local issues on things like bike lanes and spending excess amounts of money, we can't turn around and negate similar feedback regarding other issues.

• Nparker and rjag like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5894 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

That's probably the biggest issue with all the municipalities. I bet a large percentage of the people using that bridge or Fort/Pandora day to day aren't CoV residents.
  • Mike K., rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#5895 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Key stats:

• Johnson Street Bridge, eastbound/westbound: 7.5% decline, PM rush. 14% decline AM rush.
  • Pandora Avenue westbound east of Blanshard Street: 21% decline PM rush.
  • Johnson Street eastbound east of Blanshard Street: 48% decline PM rush between 2017 and 2014 (data not available for 2015 and 2016).

CRD-bicycle-count-shows-decline-in-ridership-along-several-downtown-Victoria-corridors.jpg

Downtown Victoria's Pandora Avenue bi-directional protected bicycle lane on a cold winter morning in February of this year. The Capital Regional District's October 2017 bicycle count at several downtown Victoria corridors shows a decline in cycling traffic compared to 2016, including along the newly-built Pandora Avenue bicycle lane.

CRD's October 2017 bicycle count shows decline in ridership along several downtown Victoria corridors

https://victoria.cit...oria-corridors/

• Bingo likes this
Know it all.

#5896 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

Can't wait to hear the numerous "excuse" for this decrease in ridership.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5897 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

Before we had counters, this is how ridership data was assessed. This is still how vehicle traffic is assessed (albeit with a strip across a road lane).

Know it all.

#5898 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

The obvious solution is to build more bike lanes. I propose we make Blanshard bikes only as well as lower Douglas to 2 lanes of cars with the rest for bikes. They can have the bus lanes too.

#5899 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

The obvious solution is to build more bike lanes. I propose we make Blanshard bikes only as well as lower Douglas to 2 lanes of cars with the rest for bikes. They can have the bus lanes too.

Forget the bike lanes.....let's talk boat lanes!  

Let's make Victoria like Venice except without the crooked tower.  People can sleep on their boats.  People would have somewhere to toss abandoned shopping carts and weird green bikes.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#5900 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

Can't wait to hear the numerous "excuse" for this decrease in ridership.

I know of at least one private group that has also done a count and found similar results. I don't think that there are too many viable excuses. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users