Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11043 replies to this topic

#6501 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

Lol, I think you'll all get a giggle out of this one:

https://www.liveleak...5CTF_1528286537

• jonny and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6502 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Lol, I think you'll all get a giggle out of this one:

It is weird, though, that people are walking in the bike lane when it's clear there's nice big sidewalks along the side in most of those cases... is this a London thing?

Edited by Danma, 07 June 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#6503 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

It is weird, though, that people are walking in the bike lane when it's clear there's nice big sidewalks along the side in most of those cases...

No weirder than the cyclists riding on the sidewalks here in Victoria.

• On the Level and Cassidy like this

#6504 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

It is weird, though, that people are walking in the bike lane when it's clear there's nice big sidewalks along the side in most of those cases... is this a London thing?

Just like it’s a Victoria thing for cyclists to ride in the car lanes when theres a bike lane righ there? :)
  • Love the rock and On the Level like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6505 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

Just like it’s a Victoria thing for cyclists to ride in the car travel lanes when theres a bike lane righ there? :)

Minor correction.  The original text implies that the travel lanes are for the exclusive use of motor vehicles, which is contrary to the text of the MVA.

Using the travel lane when there is a practicable bike lane does seem odd, except in the case of navigating a left turn, passing another cyclist or some such.

Riding on the sidewalk is not quite as weird as walking in the roadway - I imagine the cyclist is doing that because they perceive it to be safer for them or more convenient.  It seems less likely that a pedestrian would choose to walk in the roadway for the same reasons.

• shoeflack likes this

#6506 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

...Riding on the sidewalk is not quite as weird as walking in the roadway - I imagine the cyclist is doing that because they perceive it to be safer for them or more convenient....

It's certainly not safer for pedestrians to have to dodge cyclists on the sidewalks. It is also against CoV bylaws.

A person must not ride or operate a bicycle on or across

(a) a sidewalk

http://www.victoria....ylaw-09-079.pdf (page 69)

• Cassidy likes this

#6507 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

It's certainly not safer for pedestrians to have to dodge cyclists on the sidewalks. It is also against CoV bylaws.

I don't think DM was excusing their actions, just suggesting why those rule breakers may do what they do.

It's also against city bylaws to jaywalk, yet I see a heck of a lot more of that than cyclists of the sidewalk. Have you never jaywalked?

Again, rule breakers are among all types of travelers. The need to focus on cyclists is silly.

• Danma and vortoozo like this

#6508 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

...It's also against city bylaws to jaywalk, yet I see a heck of a lot more of that than cyclists of the sidewalk...

I don't. In my 3 block "commute" to work each day I invariably encounter at least one sidewalk cyclist and rarely any jay-walkers.

#6509 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

People will walk/cycle/drive where they feel safe and comfortable to walk/cycle/drive. If someone feels more safe cycling on a sidewalk than a road, then the design of the road needs to be addressed. Same goes when there are painted bike lanes or "sharrows;" if someone on a bike doesn't feel safe using using those spaces, then maybe the design needs to be rethought.

#6510 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

People will walk/cycle/drive where they feel safe and comfortable to walk/cycle/drive...

So if I feel safest walking in bike lanes I should do that?

#6511 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

It is kind of funny, except where pedestrians are just crossing. I think the cyclist should stop in that instance. We mistakenly walked in a bike lane in Munich years ago and got a bell rung at us. Since then we've been very careful. I don't mind kids riding their bike on the sidewalk as long as they're not too fast or reckless.

#6512 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

So if I feel safest walking in bike lanes I should do that?

That wasn't the point I was making. Cycling on the sidewalk is illegal but people do it anywayspossibly because they feel more safe breaking the law on a sidewalk than they do riding legally beside or with vehicular traffic. Safe =/= legal, but the legal way should be reasonably safe. If you feel safe walking down the Douglas street combo bike/bus lanes, go for it. I know I wouldn't.

#6513 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

But putting others at risk shouldn’t trump one's feeling of safety. If it’s unsade to ride, walk your bike.
  • Nparker and Cassidy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6514 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

...If you feel safe walking down the Douglas street combo bike/bus lanes, go for it...

For now, I am just going to stick to my CoV funded bi-directional bike lanes for my off-sidewalk strolls.  :thumbsup:

#6515 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

Ah yes. Why be the bigger person when you can stoop the the level of the people you relentlessly complain about, all while exasperating the problem! Hate green bikes? No problem! Toss them into the road so an innocent driver following the rules has a crummy day! Hate cyclists on the sidewalk? No problem! Walk down the bike lane so an innocent cyclist following the rules has a crummy day! When someone does something you don't like, find something equally annoying to do to someone else that doesn't deserve it!

#6516 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

...When someone does something you don't like, find something equally annoying to do to someone else that doesn't deserve it!

I promise to be a better citizen as soon as I see more courtesy displayed by those around me. 

Edit: And just because I say I move discarded green bikes into the road and I say I will walk in bike lanes doesn't mean I will actually do these things, but threatening to do so sure gets some people's goats.

Edited by Nparker, 07 June 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#6517 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Edit: And just because I say I move discarded green bikes into the road and I say I will walk in bike lanes doesn't mean I will actually do these things, but threatening to do so sure gets some people's goats.

Don't worry; it's quite obvious you're all talk when it comes to those threats.  :P

#6518 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,417 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

Threatening those things doesn't help solve the problems. Just like threatening to dump plastic bags in the ocean.

#6519 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

Don't worry; it's quite obvious you're all talk when it comes to those threats.  

Goad me and I see if I remain all talk.

#6520 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

Threatening those things doesn't help solve the problems...

I will do what I can to solve the problems inflicted by the current CoV regime at the ballot box in October.

• lanforod, A Girl is No one and Freedom57 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users