Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#6541 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

Maybe the crosswalks need barriers like rail crossings...

And mandatory train whistles for every bicycle. This is an idea I could get behind.

#6542 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

And mandatory train whistles for every bicycle. This is an idea I could get behind.

Yeah... but that video of the guy with an airhorn on his bike ended with a pedestrian that was unappreciative of the warning.  :P

#6543 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

One thing I noticed while walking on the sidewalk in the Dutch Bakery block....the edge of the new sidewalk is exactly the same grey as the gutter, and now that there are no parking meters or parking stall poles at the edge of the sidewalk, it's very easy to misstep and fall off. I just about did it myself. I think some sort of painted line or something would help the eye delineate the edge there.

#6544 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

^ That's standard. Curb and gutter are both concrete, often a single pour. I wonder if the same concerns were raised when the Pandora lanes were opened...

Capture.PNG

#6545 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

^ That's standard. Curb and gutter are both concrete, often a single pour. I wonder if the same concerns were raised when the Pandora lanes were opened...

Capture.PNG

No volume of pedestrians to speak of

#6546 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:32 AM

I haven't walked on Pandora, no reason to go there, so I'm not sure. I'll be sure to stick close to the shops from now on. I don't want a sprained ankle.

#6547 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

Galloping Goose pedestrian/cycling overpass at Atkins is being shut down. Needs an engineering assessment after being hit by a vehicle.

#6548 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

Oh, so that's what buckled the deck on the flatbed (and causing the single lane alternating traffic along Six Mile this afternoon.)

I wonder how long the assessment will take, and the results - that's a busy section of trail usually.  It's easy enough to divert Goose traffic down to the road, but there are only implied crossings (no markings) so I don't expect most drivers to notice/respect foot/cycle traffic crossing at the Atkins/Six Mile intersection... (no judgement of drivers - it's just so uncommon with the Goose right there that we could hardly expect someone to want to cross at road level.)

#6549 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Galloping Goose pedestrian/cycling overpass at Atkins is being shut down. Needs an engineering assessment after being hit by a vehicle.

Gah. I hope they put some temporary lights or something at the Atkins/6 Mile intersection.

#6550 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:06 PM

CoV's Twitter says $895k is to be received from BikeBC for the Wharf St lanes.  Is that the expected total cost?

#6551 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

^ uh, hardly.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6552 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

Gah. I hope they put some temporary lights or something at the Atkins/6 Mile intersection.

Apparently it is reopened!

• Danma likes this

#6553 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

CoV's Twitter says $895k is to be received from BikeBC for the Wharf St lanes. Is that the expected total cost?

Times that by like 10

#6554 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

Not sure it's been posted before but West Saanich bike lanes will be extended from the Royal Oak Shopping Centre to Glanford with a buffer, along with other road/sidewalk improvements. The signs just went up on the road a few days ago, with construction expected to start in the summer and finish by winter 2019. 

http://www.saanich.c...splay Board.pdf

Edited by Brantastic, 13 June 2018 - 07:15 PM.

• thundergun likes this

#6555 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,358 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

Oh, great. Now if only they'd put lanes over the overpasses!

#6556 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,655 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

CoV's Twitter says $895k is to be received from BikeBC for the Wharf St lanes.  Is that the expected total cost?

That actually a nice chunk of it, for sure. The total budget must be around $2.5M, or thereabouts? Certainly less complex than Fort Street and Pandora Avenue were.

The Wharf Street segment is the shortest of them all and is about half the length of the Fort and Pandora segments. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6557 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

That actually a nice chunk of it, for sure. The total budget must be around $2.5M, or thereabouts? Certainly less complex than Fort Street and Pandora Avenue were.

The Wharf Street segment is the shortest of them all and is about half the length of the Fort and Pandora segments. 

BikeBC max is $1 million and is a 50% match (of allowed expenses, which means around 40% of total project costs). Not sure as to latest cost estimate, that isn't in latest staff report https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=15385

#6558 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:13 AM

I think Wharf got another grant as well.

#6559 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

No matter, when the Mayor admits to not having an official budget.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6560 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

They reopened it fairly quickly, so no worries.  Although a diversion up to the on-demand crossing lights at Chilco would probably have been the simplest in retrospect.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users