Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7201 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

Hey Nagel,

This form tends to be unhappy with the current bike lanes, so it's nice to have your comments here to provide some balancing perspective.

I think there is a general sentiment in favour of improving cycling infrastructure, yet unhappy with the execution of the Pandora and Fort lanes. (could be wrong, that's just my perception)

I used to cycle from Gordon Head to Esquimalt daily, without the Goose that would be a nightmare! I was happy to hear about the proposed Pandora Lanes, but I'm not too happy about the cost overruns and how narrow they've made the car lanes (especially between Douglas and Blanshard). Occasionally the 27/28 bus doesn't even bother trying to stay in one lane and just straddles the centre line so it can actually fit. I'd like to see some of the other bike routes come to fruition, but not if they are going to ignore the BC Transit's warnings and exceed their budgets by so much.

• lanforod, nagel, nerka and 2 others like this

#7202 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:42 AM

Good points. I suspect/hope most motorists do not actually hate their 2-wheeling brothers and sisters. Frenemies, maybe. :)

#7203 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:42 AM

I was happy to hear about the proposed Pandora Lanes, but I'm not too happy about the cost overruns and how narrow they've made the car lanes (especially between Douglas and Blanshard).

For reasons my dentist is on Oak Bay Ave and had to drive the truck (car was on the mainland) there this week.  I was returning along Pandora Ave in the right lane when a cube van clipped my (admittedly large factory tow) mirror with his on his way past in the left lane.  No damage was done but it was a surprise.

I would have just ridden my bike to the dentist if I wasn't concerned that it would be stolen while I was there.  There's the downside to 20-pound vehicles.

• nagel likes this

#7204 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

Some of the anti bicycle lane posts border on parody.

"I totally support bicycle lanes as long as they don't inconvenience a single person and as long as they don't take up any space on any street, and as long as they are free to build. And by the way did I mention that I hate having to look at overweight 45 y.o. men in overly tight Lycra. And why aren't cyclists licenced because more government programs are ALWAYS great."

I can't imagine why the pro-bike lane cohort here doesn't elicit more sympathy than they do.

• rjag likes this

#7205 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

I walk on Fort St quite a lot and I certainly feel less safe trying to cross by Brown's the Florist. I feel like I'm going to be surprised by a cyclist coming the opposite way from the vehicle traffic and even though I've looked both ways I have to keep on looking, just in case. But then there might be a bike coming from the Douglas St. end of things.

• Nparker likes this

#7206 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:40 PM

^You would not believe the pedestrians that walk right into the bike lane there without looking.

• Brantastic likes this

#7207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:59 PM

^You would not believe the pedestrians that walk right into the bike lane there without looking.

It can't be any larger than the number of cyclists who zoom through the mid-block pedestrian crossings as though they don't exist at all.

#7208 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:18 PM

What's funny is whenever I stop on my bike for a pedestrian downtown, they appear confused, stop and wave me though. Nearly every time. I've already stopped for you! Just go!

But yes, the amount of pedestrians who cross the bike lanes without even looking one way or another is insane. I've even had a number of occasions where people use them as a walkway instead of the sidewalk.

#7209 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:30 PM

The bane of drivers and cyclists are pedestrians who saunter sort of through the crosswalk against the don't walk sign while texting.

#7210 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:45 PM

It can't be any larger than the number of cyclists who zoom through the mid-block pedestrian crossings as though they don't exist at all.

The bane of drivers and cyclists are pedestrians who saunter sort of through the crosswalk against the don't walk sign while texting.

Let's stop the fighting amongst the cyclists, drivers and pedestrians, and unite against out common enemy - mobility scooters.

/seriously, people behave badly often and it is pretty much irrespective of their mode of transportation.

• Danma, RoadRunner and nerka like this

#7211 blazer

blazer
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:48 PM

Most messages to this forum are expressing preferences likes and dislikes re the separated bike lanes. For the hundreds of blind bus riders and thousands of severely visually/ mobility compromised seniors having to cross these bike lanes in order to use public transit is a real safety hazard. Does the safety of these folk in our community not matter?

Tom

• Love the rock and mbjj like this

#7212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

Oh it does, for sure. The lanes are the subject of a court challenge backed by the CNIB, I think?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7213 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

Let's stop the fighting amongst the cyclists, drivers and pedestrians, and unite against out common enemy - mobility scooters.

/seriously, people behave badly often and it is pretty much irrespective of their mode of transportation.

It's not the mobility scooters that are going to do you in, it is the electric two wheeled cycles that will kill you, 

Being in mainland China the electric scooters are ubiquitous. They get 5 feet behind you and then honk their horn to let you know they are coming through, sometimes you have enough time to get out of the way.

Hong Kong on the other hand has no cyclists or scooters, just a great metro system, and drivers for the most part follow the rules.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:47 AM

And we’re seeing more and more of these scooters in the lanes and on the Goose moving at 30-40km with impunity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7215 jjmac

jjmac
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

There was a police bike patrol issuing tickets on the goose yesterday at the Tillicum lights. Third time I've seen that and I've been riding on the goose almost daily for 4 years.

#7216 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:43 AM

Oh it does, for sure. The lanes are the subject of a court challenge backed by the CNIB, I think?

I believe so. They're challenging the design, which is widely used around the world, including multiple Canadian cities. I don't see it going anywhere, as the issue isn't so much the design as it is the users. It's really no different than a crosswalk. Drivers largely behave as they're supposed to at marked crossings, but every now and then someone doesn't and a pedestrian gets hurt.

• Mike K. likes this

#7217 blazer

blazer
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

Rob Randall writes: You would not believe the pedestrians that walk right into the bike lane there without

looking.

Can't expect the fully blind and the partially sighted to do the "looking".

#7218 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:10 AM

As pedestrians, people generally don't consider a moving bicycle to be anywhere near as much of a threat to their safety as they do a moving car, and so they don't bother watching out for them.  Add to that the 2-way bikes on 1-way streets and yeah, it's a recipe for a mess.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#7219 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

So U-Bicycle is giving up on the leave-it-anywhere model in Victoria... https://www.vicnews....irtual-parking/

• Nparker likes this

#7220 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

So U-Bicycle is giving up on the leave-it-anywhere model in Victoria... https://www.vicnews....irtual-parking/

As long as they don't leave them on the boulevard like a mouldy old chesterfield that nobody wants.

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users