Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11043 replies to this topic

#9041 aastra

aastra
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

why are streets around oak bay becoming more congested? the population is not increasing.

I blame it on the puffy jacket fad.

#9042 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

I blame it on the puffy jacket fad.

https://youtu.be/QlyQGNYZ5Bs

Edited by todd, 08 July 2020 - 09:44 AM.

#9043 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:50 AM

why are streets around oak bay becoming more congested? the population is not increasing.

A lot of out-of-towners coming in from “Victoria” if we could just block the border off altogether.

Edited by todd, 08 July 2020 - 09:53 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9044 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

https://youtu.be/epb5HCZNBZQ

#9045 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

It is all the building! Almost any side street you go down in Oak Bay is clogged with trade trucks. So many new houses going up or major rebuilds. Then when the houses are finished, they are all the yard maintenance folks. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9046 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:32 PM

It is all the building! Almost any side street you go down in Oak Bay is clogged with trade trucks. So many new houses going up or major rebuilds. Then when the houses are finished, they are all the yard maintenance folks. 

Why are beaches more busy?

#9047 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

“..The study reveals that Oak Bay’s population in 2016 was 17,475, a decline of one per cent from 2006’s 17,645...”: https://www.timescol...says-1.24058140

#9048 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:13 PM

Drivers will face a dead end road. Cyclists and pedestrians can continue on as usual.

And further to the multiple info sessions at City Hall, the City also hosted walking tours along Richardson Street go over the proposed plans. At some point the onus needs to fall on the Oak Bay Mayor to be aware of these developments.

But people here obviously disagree, so not sure we're going to get much further along lol.

There is such a thing as professional and common courtesy. Society was built on people extending courtesies to one another in order to avoid conflict and generate buy-in.

I don’t know why the CoV conducted its affairs the way it did, but it’s very unprofessional how this turned out and I hope the individuals involved will reconsider their future advocacy efforts with neighbouring municipalities. For if we start playing the eye-for-an-eye game nothing good will come of it.
  • Nparker, newbie_01, Teardrop and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9049 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,919 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

...For if we start playing the eye-for-an-eye game nothing good will come of it.

The whole CRD will soon be blind (and not just metaphorically like the CoV council).

#9050 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

What is better.....cars moving off the Arterial Routes onto side streets or putting a bike lane along the non-Arterial route?  

There aren't any non-arterial routes that stretch from Gonzales through Fairfield to Vancouver Street that wouldn't be incredibly convoluted for cyclists. Cycling routes need to be direct or they won't be used. Building cycling routes on side streets works in Vancouver where they have continuous streets in a grid pattern but our street network doesn't work that way.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9051 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

So what's to stop a cyclist from pedalling a few extra blocks and using the new multi-million dollar bicycle lanes that were just installed on Dallas Road?

As for non-direct routes "not being used" ... I simply have no retort for such utter, self-important hubris.

• Nparker likes this

#9052 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,372 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

it’s an odd human nature. even though people are riding for exercise they prefer direct routes. just like they loathe stopping for a person at a mid block crosswalk even though the energy expended to start back up would be good for them.

#9053 FogPub

FogPub
  • 984 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:55 PM

There aren't any non-arterial routes that stretch from Gonzales through Fairfield to Vancouver Street that wouldn't be incredibly convoluted for cyclists. Cycling routes need to be direct or they won't be used. Building cycling routes on side streets works in Vancouver where they have continuous streets in a grid pattern but our street network doesn't work that way.

What about Fairfield-May?  The only non-continuous bit would be at the west end of the cemetery where May ends and there's a half-block cut-over to pick up Fairfield.

And the eastern bit of Fairfield is wide enough to allow painted bike lanes if one wants (except maybe the last bit close to Foul Bay), though just being a road with wide single lanes on each side is more than good enough.

#9054 FogPub

FogPub
  • 984 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:57 PM

So what's to stop a cyclist from pedalling a few extra blocks and using the new multi-million dollar bicycle lanes that were just installed on Dallas Road?

As for non-direct routes "not being used" ... I simply have no retort for such utter, self-important hubris.

In fairness, do the Dallas Road lanes continue east of Clover Point at all?

#9055 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

I disagree. I routinely will ride a few extra blocks to access a bike lane. I enjoy riding on bike lanes (except Pandora where I have only had very scary experiences) so IMO it’s worth the effort to ride a block or two to access it and I do it most of the time. Particularly when it will take me where I need to go, such as a lane going from oak bay to downtown vic.

#9056 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:09 PM

Is that actually true? Is there data to back it up, or are these just observations? Not saying you're wrong, but would just like to see some numbers back it up. 

The intersection at Bee to Foul Bay/Fort is a complete mess since they reduced it to 1 lane. What used to be a fairly free flowing intersection along a prime arterial is now reduced to a clusterfvck which encourages more traffic to use smaller side streets not designed for that which also increases the risk of incidents. You'll be hard pressed to find any resident of OB/Saanich that commutes that route that thinks its an improvement. Now we're about to witness a similar clusterfvck at Foul Bay Richardson and then they'll go for OB Ave itself...

Dont get me started about the clusterfvck at the intersection of Landsdowne and Foul Bay or Cedar Hill X at Richmond to Cedar Hill...lane reductions = congestion. The only saving grace this next year will be that UVic and Camosun will be far reduced capacity which will ease the traffic along those routes but it also means there will be far fewer bikes.

#9057 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:18 PM

So it should be no issue for drivers then right!

#9058 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:10 PM

Drivers will face a dead end road. Cyclists and pedestrians can continue on as usual.

Social Engineering.

Except for families that need to pickup their kids from daycare, then take them to swimming, music lessons etc.  Taking the bus and working downtown is not always practical.  Walking or riding a bike is not always possible or feasible.

I suppose the people in this position are the enemy.

• Nparker, Redd42 and newbie_01 like this

#9059 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:51 PM

Social Engineering.

Except for families that need to pickup their kids from daycare, then take them to swimming, music lessons etc.  Taking the bus and working downtown is not always practical.  Walking or riding a bike is not always possible or feasible.

I suppose the people in this position are the enemy.

You’re right, it’s not an option for everyone. But for a lot of people it is. If we provide a safe way for those who can to cycle downtown or other commercial centres, more will start to use that method of transportation. Not everyone, just some. But that will create more room on the roads for those who need to drive for the reasons you outlined above.

#9060 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

Not everyone, just some. But that will create more room on the roads for those who need to drive for the reasons you outlined above.

Except as you put it, "Drivers will face a dead end road.".  The capacity in road infrastructure lost is highly unlikely to be made up of those biking, especially through the winter months.

Oak Bay to Downtown is 4 km or 2.5 miles.  Even in Amsterdam, which we are modeling ourselves after, the population typically does not bike that far.  There is huge investment in rail and roadways as there is a responsibility to serve all citizens.  

What are we doing here?....destroying transportation infrastructure to please a small special interest group.  Where is the leadership?  Where is the holistic view?  Where is the responsible behaviour?

Screenshot-2018-06-11-at-8.11.39-PM.png

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users