Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9061 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:35 PM

Wouldn’t a Fairfield Road bike lane make more sense? Where the schools and businesses actually are.

Biked both many times; six of one, half a dozen of the other as far as effort. Neither very difficult without a bike lane.

Edited by todd, 08 July 2020 - 10:44 PM.

#9062 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:06 AM

How does Oak Bay and Victoria coordinate the shared traffic lights? Is it a two turn key mechanism?

#9063 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:21 AM

Wouldn’t a Fairfield Road bike lane make more sense? Where the schools and businesses actually are.

Biked both many times; six of one, half a dozen of the other as far as effort. Neither very difficult without a bike lane.

It’s all downhill past Foul Bay Road
  • Mike K. and todd like this

#9064 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:34 AM

In fairness, do the Dallas Road lanes continue east of Clover Point at all?

No, but east of Clover Point a few city blocks is the Oak Bay border, and it's not Oak Bay that's going nuts with millions of dollars worth of bike land construction.

It doesn't really matter what happens "east" of any of Victorias bike lanes, at least the ones that approach the Oak Bay border.

#9065 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,595 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:48 AM

But that will create more room on the roads for those who need to drive for the reasons you outlined above.

After the congestion that comes with any infrastructure change by the CoV, whatever number of people start leaving their car behind is more than negated by the road changes themselves.

But that doesn’t stop City Hall from using the above statement.
  • Nparker and Brayvehart like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9066 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:50 AM

So it should be no issue for drivers then right!

I get the button pushing, but realistically we're talking about repurposing roads that were constructed for cars, roads that have long existed and which are heavily used by cars and buses ... along with the occasional bike.

Really the discussion is about the appropriateness of well used vehicle roads being re-purposed into bike lanes, along with discussing just how inconvenient a design can make things for drivers before it simply becomes ridiculous.

It's not now, and never has been a conversation about equalizing cars and bikes across the landscape, despite orgs like the cycling coalition attempting to equate cars and bikes, and to paint the two modes of transportation as interchangeable and thus deserving equal treatment in terms of "space" and consideration ... which is ultimately a disingenuous argument to attempt to make.

All you need is a pair of working eyes to see that there are many, many hundreds more cars on the landscape at any given point in time than there are bikes ... and despite cyclists protestations, that's a critical metric in the discussion (at least for those who discuss the issue seriously, as opposed to pushing an agenda laden package on a public that largely isn't interested in any cycling issues at all).

• Nparker likes this

#9067 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:31 AM

There aren't any non-arterial routes that stretch from Gonzales through Fairfield to Vancouver Street that wouldn't be incredibly convoluted for cyclists. Cycling routes need to be direct or they won't be used. Building cycling routes on side streets works in Vancouver where they have continuous streets in a grid pattern but our street network doesn't work that way.

I bike pretty much on a daily basis and have used Richardson/McNeill many times.  It is quite adequate the way it is now from a safety point of view and it's also a pleasant ride.  What a waste of money to make the proposed bike lane, frustrate locals who live on those roads and create more animosity.  Wake up COV!

• Nparker, rjag, mbjj and 3 others like this

#9068 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

I bike pretty much on a daily basis and have used Richardson/McNeill many times.  It is quite adequate the way it is now from a safety point of view and it's also a pleasant ride.  What a waste of money to make the proposed bike lane, frustrate locals who live on those roads and create more animosity.  Wake up COV!

Yup, I drive that road in both directions at least 6-10 x a week at all hours. Its not a dangerous road, has lowered speed limits and good sight lines. The only part that could use improvement is the crossing over Cook St. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#9069 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

It’s all downhill past Foul Bay Road

No you go uphill again by Government House. And even just passed Foul Bay is a good hump if you’re talking about going into Victoria.

Both ways are downhill once you get to the top of the hill.

Edited by todd, 09 July 2020 - 09:07 AM.

#9070 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

The only problem is you can't get there from here.

#9071 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

The only problem is you can't get there from here.

I used to bike many kilometres to work every time but then I got a car.

#9072 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

It's beneficial to hear from an actual cyclist sans any sort of agenda.

I don't support going around and tearing down existing bike lanes (they've already been paid for after all), but the continued creation of new bike lanes where actual cyclists say things like Dabeyboy has noted above seems somewhat disingenuous at best, and a complete waste of taxpayers money at worst.

#9073 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

Confident bike riders are happy to ride anywhere. All ages and ability paths are aimed at a different cohort. Not weighing in either way on the Richardson route, just pointing out the difference in intent. 

For example, if a gym was trying to build their business, they might be interested in not just people who work out at gyms regularly, but also in people who would like to work out, but are intimidated by the current gym culture. 

• marks_28, Brayvehart, Brantastic and 1 other like this

#9074 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

Confident bike riders are happy to ride anywhere. All ages and ability paths are aimed at a different cohort. Not weighing in either way on the Richardson route, just pointing out the difference in intent.

For example, if a gym was trying to build their business, they might be interested in not just people who work out at gyms regularly, but also in people who would like to work out, but are intimidated by the current gym culture.

The planet fitness approach. Tootsie rolls at the door and pizza mondays

#9075 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

...uphill again by Government House..

Wish they put in a back entrance to Government House.

#9076 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:30 PM

No you go uphill again by Government House. And even just passed Foul Bay is a good hump if you’re talking about going into Victoria.

Are we talking about Fairfield Road? The road doesn’t go by Government House.

#9077 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:20 PM

I don't support going around and tearing down existing bike lanes.

I don't either.  I support bike lanes is done responsibly.  It's a beneficial component of transportation.  However, it needs to be done in concert with overall transportation needs.  Turning the CoV into a gated community doesn't benefit anyone.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9078 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:27 PM

Are we talking about Fairfield Road? The road doesn’t go by Government House.

Referring to Richardson. But both ways are downhill once you get to the top of the hill.

#9079 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

I don't either. I support bike lanes is done responsibly. It's a beneficial component of transportation. However, it needs to be done in concert with overall transportation needs. Turning the CoV into a gated community doesn't benefit anyone.

if Victoria is a gated community it’s done the wurst job ever.

#9080 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,818 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

if Victoria is a gated community it’s done the wurst job ever.

The gates should be around City Hall and locked from the outside when council is meeting - then never unlocked for any reason.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users