Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9521 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:58 AM

Can’t read the first article without signing up for a free trial. But the gist of the other two is that they lead to large traffic jams and aren’t used? And the classic ‘photo of an empty bike lane’ so surely it’s never used and was a terrible idea. There are lots of photos of unused roads, should we close those down too?

But I digress..

Maybe these bike lanes are in fact not well used. Maybe they were poorly and haphazardly designed? Maybe they are single unconnected stretches of lanes where the rider has to navigate dangerous sections of non protected roads. Maybe they are on side streets without businesses where cyclists don’t actually want to go. There could be a myriad of reasons. Doesn’t mean a well planned and designed bike network wouldn’t work well.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#9522 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:06 AM

I think the bike routes are great but it is time to have license plates on bikes along with a modest licensing fee to help pay for the maintence of the bike routes. Maybe starting at $400 or $600 a year and then bumping up in the future.

• rmpeers likes this

#9523 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,306 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

and what fee should pedestrians pay for sidewalk upkeep?  say maybe $200.year?

• Rob Randall, Brayvehart and Brantastic like this

#9524 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

Lmao, I’m assuming this is a joke. But if not, $500 a year? That’s modest? What will regular car drivers get charged annually for their share of road maintenance?
  • Brayvehart likes this

#9525 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

Actually the city I believe gets a portion of the gasoline tax which couvers either all or most of the road maintance costs. Sidewalks are couvered by property tax which generally takes into account frontage to some degree in assessments. 

Road costs are going to be a real problem as we shift to electric vehicles since this will greatly reduce the gas tax revenue. 

I dont have a problem paying for a bicycle fee for my bikes and I am sure that most bicycle riders are happy to pay their share for maintaining the ever growing number of bicycle routes, 

#9526 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:30 AM

Yes, gas tax pays for a portion of the bike lane construction. The rest of it is from federal and provincial grants (I believe).

However, regular road maintenance is covered by property taxes, so we all pay for that, either directly or indirectly.

Unfortunately I don’t think many are going to think $500/year is fair nor would they be happy to pay that. Their property taxes are going towards the ongoing maintenance, and when cyclists drive, they are also contributing to gas tax. Don’t think many want to pay their share twice. Especially when the amount of wear and tear on roads cause by cyclists is minuscule compared to regular cars and trucks.
  • Brayvehart and JohnsonStBridge like this

#9527 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

Actually the municipalities get a share of the gas tax for maintence. There will be higher maintence costs for portions of the exclusive bike paths when it comes to control lights and a number of other costs

Nobody is ever happy paying taxes but I doubt that $599 a year will even couver the costs of building and maintaining new routes.  Most buke riders i know say that they are concerned with the city so I am guessing that they would be willing to carry a least a part of the costs as good citizens. . 

#9528 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

Ok, let’s try and break things down a bit here. Regular road maintenance costs are astronomically higher than bike lane maintenance. Will regular car drivers pay their share to cover those costs, as cyclists will be for their bike lanes?
  • Brayvehart likes this

#9529 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:44 AM

and what fee should pedestrians pay for sidewalk upkeep?  say maybe $200.year?

Not that I see much sidewalk "upkeep" (except where other infrastructure projects make sidewalk repairs necessary), but presumably property taxes and general civic revenue cover these expenses. I rather hope my property taxes pay for more than CoV councillor salaries, catered lunches, musical handrails, ping-pong tables and poets laureate, though to be honest I am not sure.

• rjag, mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#9530 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

Regular roads are used by bicycles as well as cars, so maintenance would presumably be shared. 

As far as where the funds come from, businesses pay a large portions of property taxes in Victoria (47%) keeping the household portion low, so it is businesses that are paying for a big chunk of road maintenance. 

Of course the $$ that those businesses need to exist is coming from all over the CRD, so indirectly other municipalities are paying for a portion of Victoria's road maintenance.  Then of course we have parking, parking fines, gas tax grants etc etc etc.....again with much of it coming from residents of other municipalities.

Unless the bike lanes increase access to Victoria for others that do not reside downtown, we will see a shift in where the funding comes from and it will be born by local residents.  

https://www.cfib-fce...port 2018.pdf  

#9531 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,306 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

Regular roads are used by bicycles as well as cars, so maintenance would presumably be shared.

url]

Ok then cyclists should pay $500 for the bike lanes plus $400 more if they use the road too.

$75 more again if they are seen walking their bikes on a sidewalk.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2020 - 10:04 AM.

#9532 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

While I know it's legal to use wither the road or the bike lane, cyclists should be using the bike lane if one is available.  There is no better way of making yourself look like a jackass than getting in the way of traffic while the bike lanes sits empty beside you. 

Edited by On the Level, 24 October 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#9533 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:03 PM

Maybe in the future you'll change your habits and bike or walk instead?

That's rather a long walk from the Cook-Richardson area to Galey Farms...

And not a great route to bike either, unless you like going up and down a fair number of hills or are willing to go a long way out of your way to find a flatter route.

#9534 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:23 PM

Recently drove on the redesigned Humboldt stretch. My main thought was "Could this design be any worse?"
  • Nparker, rjag, mbjj and 1 other like this

#9535 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:09 AM

Lol that article was a bit much. Painting a worst case scenario in terms of light timing. Sure, you’ll probably have to wait maybe 15 seconds longer turning left on Cook? But after that it’s a crap shoot in terms of lights, but on average maybe another 30 seconds in increased time?

I’m confident that the benefits of increased bike traffic along Vancouver St will outweigh the emissions from the very small increases in travel time. I’m sure once Mr Cleverley traverses up the improved Vancouver St on his bike a few times, he may even change his stance on it.

Except you can't even get along Cook now. As I said, traffic stopped as far as we could see. Build the stupid lanes, just don't block off an effective thoroughfare. I'll be chuckling with glee  I suppose as I spend extra minutes several times a week spewing emissions.

Where do I know the name Bill Cleverly from?

#9536 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:10 AM

retired TC city hall reporter.
  • mbjj likes this

#9537 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

Walk to Blenkinsop, lol? And no, I won't be riding a bike after two abdominal surgeries.

#9538 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:34 AM

Walk to Blenkinsop, lol? And no, I won't be riding a bike after two abdominal surgeries.

I don't mean to speak for aastra, but I suspect he was being facetious with his suggestion. 

#9539 aastra

aastra
  • 20,790 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

FYI to all, this was a joke.

#9540 aastra

aastra
  • 20,790 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

Hoofing a 9-mile return trip in the pouring rain while carrying a heavy load can be a bit of a slog.

• mbjj likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users