Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9681 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:52 AM

In some cases a cyclist coming to a complete stop causes confusion at a four way. The cyclist stops, a car approaches the intersection, sees no cars are around, slows, assumes the bike is waiting for him and proceeds even though the bike now has the right-of-way. Wondering if others have noticed this.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9682 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:28 AM

In some cases a cyclist coming to a complete stop causes confusion at a four way. The cyclist stops, a car approaches the intersection, sees no cars are around, slows, assumes the bike is waiting for him and proceeds even though the bike now has the right-of-way. Wondering if others have noticed this.

I've noticed that, and also the opposite: where a car arrives before a cyclists but waits for the cyclist to proceed (even often waving them to go).... normally pretty harmless if it's just the two at the intersection but can certainly be unsafe where other drivers / cyclists are present.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9683 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

I’ve never had that experience at a four way stop. I do appreciate it when cyclists stop . If they signal for me to go first I would if not I wait .

#9684 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:31 AM

If I'm on a bike and I arrive at the intersection at the same time as a car I definitely stop completely. That's when you follow the rules to the letter.

• North Shore and Brayvehart like this

#9685 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:37 AM

If I'm on a bike and I arrive at the intersection at the same time as a car I definitely stop completely. That's when you follow the rules to the letter.

As I said I regularly use a four way stop close to an assisted living facility. 
I’ve never seen a cyclist ticketed .

Edited by Love the rock, 22 November 2020 - 11:51 AM.

#9686 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, it all depends on the situation. When I’m rolling through the four way stop at Cadboro Bay Rd and Sinclair Rd at 630am, and not a car in sight, no I’m not stopping. I don’t fly through it by any means, I’ll slow down a bit, have a look, and keep going. But if I hit a 4 way and another car clearly gets there first, I’ll stop and let them go. But I’ve definitely experienced where the already stopped car motions for me to keep going.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#9687 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

If I’m driving and I think it’s safe to make a left turn on a red or an illegal right I don’t do it . I also stop at stop signs even if I’m the only car .Not because I don’t trust my judgment I don’t do it because it’s illegal to do so .  Maybe I’m unique in my thinking I don’t know .

• Nparker likes this

#9688 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:18 PM

If I’m driving and I think it’s safe to make a left turn on a red or an illegal right I don’t do it . I also stop at stop signs even if I’m the only car .Not because I don’t trust my judgment I don’t do it because it’s illegal to do so .  Maybe I’m unique in my thinking I don’t know .

Yeah, if you always follow every law while driving, you would absolutely be unique in your thinking, because no driver anywhere ever does that.  You may not do a rolling stop, even at 3AM if there's no cars around for miles in any direction, but if you're trying to say that you've never gone 1km/h over the speed limit or done anything against the other hundreds of rules when driving? You would be in rare company indeed!

• Brayvehart likes this

#9689 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

Food for thought, differing forms of “Idaho Stop” laws are in place in several states/cities. Essentially allows cyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield.
  • Brayvehart and Brantastic like this

#9690 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, if you always follow every law while driving, you would absolutely be unique in your thinking, because no driver anywhere ever does that.  You may not do a rolling stop, even at 3AM if there's no cars around for miles in any direction, but if you're trying to say that you've never gone 1km/h over the speed limit or done anything against the other hundreds of rules when driving? You would be in rare company indeed!

No I don’t always follow every law . I do make an effort too . I stop at red lights no matter what time of day it is .My driving record has always been clear .I am far far from a perfect driver what I’m saying is I make the effort to obey driving laws . If drivers obeyed all the laws with today’s drivers would cause accidents .Running stop signs isn’t making an effort. If I was to get ticketed for speeding I would except I deserved it . 
All I’m saying is there are two sets of laws  .

#9691 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

Food for thought, differing forms of “Idaho Stop” laws are in place in several states/cities. Essentially allows cyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield.

That would be fine with me as long as I expected it .Maybe some of the cycling community could lobby for change .

#9692 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:28 PM

No I don’t always follow every law . I do make an effort too . I stop at red lights no matter what time of day it is .My driving record has always been clear .I am far far from a perfect driver what I’m saying is I make the effort to obey driving laws . If drivers obeyed all the laws with today’s drivers would cause accidents .Running stop signs isn’t making an effort. If I was to get ticketed for speeding I would except I deserved it . 
All I’m saying is there are two sets of laws  .

I have been involved in two accidents with my car two with my bike . Bike hit by a driver pulling into a curb side ran right into me without looking. Second door dinged but good . This was before bike lanes . Car accident hit from behind while stopped from someone trying to run a red light  . Second hit on trans Canada while stopped at a red light two years later .My bad luck to be permanently injured now I get all the best parking spots in Victoria for the rest of my life and I’m not old enough to retire yet .

#9693 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:40 PM

So I just went for a bike ride, and at one point I was stopped at the intersection of Royal Oak Dr and Falaise Dr, waiting to continue East on Royal Oak. I was in one of the lanes meant to continue straight, and the lane to my right was a right turn lane into Broadmead Plaza, or whatever it’s called. During the entire red light sequence, 19 cars used the right hand turn lane to enter the plaza, and of those, 0 cars actually did a proper stop before turning right. Some slowed down, and others just took the turn like they were taking a turn on a windy road, hardly slowing at all.

Look, I’ll admit right now that on a lot of stop signs that I employed a rolling stop, but this notion that cyclists are such huge scofflaws and need to learn the rules of the road is a bit much. Drivers take the same liberties, but where is the outrage towards them? Can we ever admit that a similar % of drivers and cyclists bend the rules a bit when it makes sense?

/rant
  • North Shore, Danma, lanforod and 3 others like this

#9694 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:00 AM

Sounds like a bit of herd mentality in that example. That’s a bad practice and a quick ticket if cops are looking.

Just take care of yourself out there. You’re on a bike and vulnerable whether someone hits you, you hit them, or you encounter a slick patch and fall off your bike. Dead wrong or dead right is the same result.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9695 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

Can we ever admit that a similar % of drivers and cyclists....

Can we ever admit that cycling and driving are activities rather than identities, and the very same people participate in both?

• Nparker, Danma, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#9696 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

When I’m rolling through the four way stop at Cadboro Bay Rd and Sinclair Rd at 630am, and not a car in sight....

I always had a problem with this kind of thinking. I used to ride regularly late at night and many times I would see drivers and cyclists alike run stop signs and even red lights, and I would have to make accommodation for them because they had no idea I was there. No doubt they weren't paying proper attention because they were assuming nobody else was around. Consider how many accidents occur very late at night or very early in the morning, at those times of day when the sheer number of interactions would be minimal. All the time we hear about a pedestrian getting hit in the wee hours. You'd think it would almost never happen. I've told the story on here before about nearly running head-on into another cyclist. I had headlights, he did not. I had reflection, he did not. He was riding on the wrong side of the street along a curve. (And he cursed me out, too.) I bet a donut that he had made that same determination re: there wasn't anybody else around, no one in sight, so no need to be careful.

• Mike K. likes this

#9697 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:16 AM

Can we ever admit that cycling and driving are activities rather than identities, and the very same people participate in both?

I actually identify as a cyclist first. then a man second. human third. I prefer the pronouns he/haw.
  • rjag likes this

#9698 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

Been mulling this over for a week or so.....I consider myself to be a pretty avid cyclist - MTB two or three times a week, and road-riding on other days (at least, during the summer..)  So, I'm generally in support of a decent bike lane infrastructure.

BUT...I kinda wonder what the point is of all of these bike lanes, if my bike isn't secure when i get to my destination.  How many locks do i have to carry to ensure than my ride will still be there when i get back from my reason for riding?

Y'know what, fukkit - I'll drive, cos my car isn't going to end up in pieces in a tent in a park somewhere....

• Danma, A Girl is No one and newbie_01 like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#9699 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:01 AM

Y'know what, fukkit - I'll drive, cos my car isn't going to end up in pieces in a tent in a park somewhere....

Your window might end up in pieces though.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9700 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:19 AM

BUT...I kinda wonder what the point is of all of these bike lanes, if my bike isn't secure when i get to my destination.  How many locks do i have to carry to ensure than my ride will still be there when i get back from my reason for riding?

Safe bike storage is a real missing link in this system. Need one of those automatic Japanese bike vaults

• gstc84 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users