- - - - -

Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#421 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

I was in Richmond over the weekend and to my surprise the Sears in Richmond Centre mall is in the final death throes of liquidation. I didn't even realize it was being closed. That store has been an iconic anchor at that mall as long as I can remember. The top floor was closed and all remaining items were grouped around the centre of the store. Mostly odds and ends, empty sales binders and battered file cabinets, garish clothing in odd sizes. It was quite depressing. Why do I punish myself by going to these dying stores? 

#422 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hillside store was mostly empty this morning. There was very little at 30% as most items were advertised at 10%. Hardly any saving at that price, and for now the rush is over.

I wonder how the Starbuck's franchise made out just inside the entrance, as that was closed down?

Do you think they will sell off the red exercise balls as "fixtures"?

photo-2.jpg

Fixtures, furniture and equipment?  I might have to get some cheap barcode scanners for laser tag. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#423 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

Oh I see the problem... they kept the store closing signage from Zellers.  Doomed from the start.

2012-05-27-15-11-49.jpg

• Bingo and bluefox like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#424 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:03 PM

i've never seen any store, in any circumstance, actually post signs advertising 5% off.....that's the big liquidation deal on iPads at Target.  realizing that Apple controls pricing on their gear, this still doesn't put Target in any more of a positive light.  5% just feels like an insult to the collective intelligence to the paying public.  however, snow shovels are marked down by 20%....and seem to be moving as quickly as the iPads.  this is the weirdest retail death ever.

I suspect Apple controls this pretty tightly.  If it sells at 5% off great, maybe 8-10% absolute max discount is as far as they'll go.  If it doesn't sell, ship it back.   Hurts the image to be blowing out the product.  

#425 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

I can't help but think each store needed an old-timer, a Zellers lifer working the phones. Sock department empty? Call Morty. And Morty would get on the phone to his old pal at MacGregor's who, after some chit chat about the wife and kids, pulls some strings makes a few calls and next thing you know a case of socks is on the way--just enough to tide you over until the next shipment comes.

according to this article any helpful improvisation was against corporate policy:

But when those highly prescriptive plans only highlight our failures, there's no question we fed the beast when it came to Guest dissatisfaction. Stores have scores of empty shelves, endcaps, sections that could easily be filled with inventory on-hand, however Target DOES NOT WANT US TO FILL THEM. The POG (planogram) must be executed 100% flawlessly - even if it means the shelves are empty because what is supposed to be there isn't on hand right now. In other words, we had way too much of things that we didn't need, and not enough of things we did need. Basics like milk, food or consumables that drive repeat business are always out of stock. Store Leaders would catch major crap if they chose to fill a 4 foot shelf with more pillows (that were in stock) versus leave it empty (because there was no bedding on-hand that was supposed to be put there). Working in the store, we know empty shelves look terrible. Target would not allow us to make the decision to fill a 4 foot shelf.

http://gawker.com/wh...ster-1579554288

I suspect Apple controls this pretty tightly.  If it sells at 5% off great, maybe 8-10% absolute max discount is as far as they'll go.  If it doesn't sell, ship it back.   Hurts the image to be blowing out the product.

I'm Typing this on my new iPad Air from Target, at 15% off.
  • Matt R. likes this

#426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Everything is 30-40% off now, I'm hearing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#427 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Everything is 30-40% off now, I'm hearing.

Wow!   But the stuff  that is left probably isn't worth grabbing at 75% off.   

#428 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

Oh I see the problem... they kept the store closing signage from Zellers.  Doomed from the start.

[snip]

I admit this made me chuckle even though I'm sure you know the liquidator is the one that provides the collateral/signage. :P

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#429 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

No more Apple products left except iPad and iPhone cases. In fact, the upstairs at Hillside is almost empty. I spotted a cute little mouse scampering from the CDs over to menswear. Last I saw he was running around in womens' lingerie so keep that in mind if you are shopping there today, ladies. Clarification: "running around in the womens' lingerie department".

• Mike K. and Jill like this

#430 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Tillicum store will close March 30 and Hillside will close April 2.

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#431 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

Stores in Nanaimo and Comox Valley close April 1.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 24 March 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#432 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

Target’s exit is providing some minor, near-term headaches for Dollarama as liquidation sales at the former attract shoppers away from the country’s largest bargain dollar-store retailer.

But Dollarama sees its fortunes continuing to rise following the departure of the U.S. retailer, announcing plans on Wednesday to open more than 400 additional locations in the coming years, riding economic trends that are pushing more Canadians into the discount aisle.

“During the liquidation period, we’ve been slightly negatively affected because dollars are going that way,” Larry Rossy, Montreal-based Dollarama’s chief executive, said on a conference call.

Dollarama has been steadily rolling out new locations, even while Target undertook its ill-fated expansion into Canada. A total of 81 stores were added to the dollar-store chain in the past year – now at 955 locations. Rossy said there’s room for more than 400 additional openings though, an estimate that doubles the number of new store executives were discussing up to now.

• Mixed365 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#433 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

I read an article recently that Target US was going to start invigorating their stores by installing displays featuring housewares as they would be used in a household, for example a fully set dining room table. Of course this is the first thing you see when you walk in Pier 1 or Pottery Barn. IKEA bases their entire store on that concept, they are the masters of shopping as entertainment.

Now think of the first things you saw when you walked into Target here. On your left is customer service. When do you use customer service? When you are returning something. What is your mood then? Disappointment. Now look to your right. Racks and racks of dollar store junk. That's your first impression when you enter. Right off the bat, shopping is a downer. Compared to IKEA which is like a McDonalds Playland for adults.

#434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:36 AM

It also doesn't help that everything is in red. That's a war colour for a reason -- gets people all uppity. Ikea's blue and yellow chills you right out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#435 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

^That's a good point. Or if you are going to use red, back it up with legitimate excitement, which I hear is what the US stores do. In fact, I saw an ad on TV the other day and I thought, wow, that place has cool stuff, and it turns out it was a US Target ad.

#436 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

Future Shop and Costco do just that with their interiors (well, Future Shop used too...).

Know it all.

#437 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

It also doesn't help that everything is in red. That's a war colour for a reason -- gets people all uppity. Ikea's blue and yellow chills you right out.

Didn't work very well for Best Buy the first time they tried Victoria... 

I actually kind of find those stores a little blah.  A bit of bold colouring is good here and there. 

I agree that you need to stage your products.  For the consumer, it's harder to visualize the items in use when they're stuffed onto a shelf.  It also makes it harder to find what you don't realize you're looking for. If that makes sense.

#438 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

Didn't work very well for Best Buy the first time they tried Victoria... 

I actually kind of find those stores a little blah.  A bit of bold colouring is good here and there. 

I agree that you need to stage your products.  For the consumer, it's harder to visualize the items in use when they're stuffed onto a shelf.  It also makes it harder to find what you don't realize you're looking for. If that makes sense.

Yeah staging works I guess, it sucks all the women into buying "charger plates" and matching napkins, and don't forget the damn pillows....everywhere.

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#439 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

"charger plates"

That's why we need staging - I just call them the "big plates that go under the little plates to catch the bits of spilled food". 

#440 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

https://www.facebook...155498795865232

• Jill likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users