- - - - -

Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#61 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Certainly I will be very interested to see how their product selection stacks up against the several Target stores I've patronized in the US.

I remember the first time I shopped at the Super Target location in Omaha my first thought was "holy s**t" if anyone from the Third World saw the staggering array of foodstuff/choices there would be an immediate revolution along the lines of "why do these people have so much and why do we have so little?!" The aisles were wider than two men standing together with their arms outstretched and seemed to stretch into infinity. And that was just the bread aisle. There was enough food in there to feed an army. Not to mention the non-food options. Zellers? Not even in the same galaxy by comparison. I will also be keenly interested to see if the level of Customer Service - something woefully lacking in many Victoria businesses - is in evidence. I suspect the staff training in this area will be intense.

Like Walmart did when they first arrived in Canada, Target will stack the stores with staff and offer discounted pricing. The goal is to change consumer behaviour and get people to start choosing Target first. That will last for 3-6 months and gradually the staff level will decline and prices will increase.

What will be interesting though is how Walmart reacts. Walmart didn't have a competitor capable of matching them when they arrived but Target does. My opinion is that a price and service war between Walmart and Target will be really bad for everyone else. Sears and the Bay are likely the two stores who will see the biggest impact but so will a lot of local retailers who thought that they held on during the inital Walmart invasion.

#62 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

My feeling is that Target is to Walmart, as Zellers was to K-mart.

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

My feeling is that Target is to Walmart, as Zellers was to K-mart.

I grew up very near K-mart, and still have very fond memories of that place. It was alright in my books.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

What will be interesting though is how Walmart reacts. Walmart didn't have a competitor capable of matching them when they arrived but Target does. My opinion is that a price and service war between Walmart and Target will be really bad for everyone else. Sears and the Bay are likely the two stores who will see the biggest impact but so will a lot of local retailers who thought that they held on during the inital Walmart invasion.

The difference is we have Marshalls, Kohls, Nordstoms, and JC Penny now all looking foe space here in Canada. Unlike Walmart who came here with no one following.... new retailers will have to stay on their toes for some time.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#65 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

:confused:Can someone please explain to me why we are so excited to see Target? I have never been in one, so in my mind it is just another Bay/Sears/Zellers/Wal-mart. Is it the products they carry? I don't understand. Enlighten me.

I don't get it either. It's another AMERICAN corporation coming in and undermining our labour.

What Target did in scooping Zellers and rebranding with no accountability to those jobs was precedent setting.
Me thinks some law federally was changed to allow this kind of takeover?

Canadians should be concerned. Not be consumer sheep bleating.

Look for it elsewhere to happen.
I know another chain being sold to an American company that will do the same as they did to Zellers.
Also known as union busting.

#66 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't get it either. It's another AMERICAN corporation coming in and undermining our labour.

What Target did in scooping Zellers and rebranding with no accountability to those jobs was precedent setting.

I know another chain being sold to an American company that will do the same as they did to Zellers.

Oh come on... very FEW Zellers stores where union... and for that Zellers has not been a Canadian company for YEARS!

#67 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

^^Zellers was terrible. Sad. Like that guy that hung around high school the year after graduation.

I prefer Canadian companies but then we can't complain when TD, CIBC and other Canadian companies shovel up American dollars. Hudson's Bay (renamed today) is American owned.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#68 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

^Thank you! My point exactly. You don't see people from the states complaining when Canadian companies move south. Need proof... I am an ex-pat... No one flinched at TD Waterhouse, et al.

#69 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Do you think they are importing their employees?

This will provide more jobs in the local area than Zellers ever did.

And people will actually shop there unlike Zellers.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#70 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'd like to say I'll miss Zellers, but I can't.

#71 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

. I will also be keenly interested to see if the level of Customer Service - something woefully lacking in many Victoria businesses - is in evidence. I suspect the staff training in this area will be intense.

Well I wouldn't get my hopes up, service is not Targets long suit.

If you like Wal-Mart's service you wont be disappointed.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#72 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

^Thank you! My point exactly. You don't see people from the states complaining when Canadian companies move south. Need proof... I am an ex-pat... No one flinched at TD Waterhouse, et al.

So Canada has giant corporations taking over U.S. companies?

Show me.

#73 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Do you think they are importing their employees?

This will provide more jobs in the local area than Zellers ever did.

And people will actually shop there unlike Zellers.

Why would I think they are importing employees?

The point is the bigger picture. That American companies can take over
here and wipe out pre-existing wages/unions. Hire out at minimum wage.

This is a problem for our economy.

#74 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Show me.

WOW... Did you miss the other post above about the banks? Let's start with Price-Waterhouse, which became TD Waterhouse, which then became TD Ameitrade when the purchased another investment firm. In the booming 90's Canadian Banks where devoring investment firms. Scotiabank became Scotia-McCload.

#75 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

WOW... Did you miss the other post above about the banks? Let's start with Price-Waterhouse, which became TD Waterhouse, which then became TD Ameitrade when the purchased another investment firm. In the booming 90's Canadian Banks where devoring investment firms. Scotiabank became Scotia-McCload.

No I did not.

Is that the only example?

So Canada is taking over America? I didn't know that.

#76 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Show me.

Here is one example.

http://en.wikipedia....s_by_BlackBerry

#77 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

No I did not.

Is that the only example?

So Canada is taking over America? I didn't know that.

Don't believe I ever said that. I said no one complained about Canadian companies moving south in the states. I gave you two... the other poster gave you 4 I believe.

#78 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Oh and here you go for CIBC...

http://en.m.wikipedi...C_World_Markets

#79 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well I wouldn't get my hopes up, service is not Targets long suit.

If you like Wal-Mart's service you wont be disappointed.

This one of the biggest issues in retail.

Complete lack of customer service.

I hear so many older folk who yearn for this.

Once again...pay minimum wage and under staff...

Exactly why I do not shop at Wal-Mart or alike.

#80 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Don't believe I ever said that. I said no one complained about Canadian companies moving south in the states. I gave you two... the other poster gave you 4 I believe.

Ok so overall....what is the ratio between Canada and the U.S. invading each other business wise?

Understand I'm looking at this from my bird's eye view. Retail.

I know nothing of the banking world etc.

To me in my mind I see more people becoming unemployed being replaced by minimum wages and no benefits.
This math does not compute for me economy wise.

The more people unemployed or also earning minimum wage leaves no money to spend. How does that boost the economy?

Sorry I feel I derailed this thread.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users