Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

...Puerto Rico?

San Juan.

#182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

Jeepers, it's some silly top-10 article written by someone half a world away.

Let's be more concerned about local geographic missteps like the federal government considering us a "small town" while Saskatoon gets a nice plush seat at the "big cities" table -- and accompanying federal kickbacks. And maybe, just maybe, if this region wasn't a fragmented mess a reporter looking up stats wouldn't brush us off as some town of 80,000 people on an island with 750,000.

@Greg, our tourism relies almost entirely on Seattle, Vancouver and cruise ships. Since neither or them are going to disappear any time soon and the ships are forced to dock here I think we can still sleep soundly knowing that somebody in Ireland referred to us as Vancouver Island.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#183 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Let's just be glad we're getting a little bit of international recognition.

But this is my whole point. The Irish Times gets some press, Vancouver Island gets some press... where is Victoria mentioned? It isn't. It's like reading a glowing review of the Oak Bay Beach Hotel that never once mentions the word "Victoria". We're talking about the great things that Victoria has to offer. We should be dismayed when Victoria isn't mentioned by name.

People who read that Irish pubs article will need Google to find out where the Irish times actually is, and that's really silly and unfortunate (and more than a bit inexplicable, I'd say).

Unless, you know, the local economy derives a substantial portion of revenue from tourism, and local businesses contribute regularly to tourism advertising for the area and for building an identifiable brand. Because in that case it would be really dumb to just accept it.

Exactly. And I want to emphasize that this curious reluctance to mention Victoria by name is a very, very new thing. I sure hope somebody somewhere doesn't think it's a good idea to de-emphasize the "Victoria" part of Victoria. When I see that "Capital Regional District" crap on a few different tourism-related websites I really do have to wonder what's going on.

Edited by aastra, 15 March 2015 - 05:07 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

Guys, nobody sitting in a bar in Ireland reading that article will suddenly be spurred to hop on several planes to go drink at some pub trying to mimic a local watering hole. This is a great little bit of trivia for the Irish Times Pub but beyond that it's just not that big a deal.

If we want the press that we think we deserve then perhaps we should amalgamate this region and finally stop being referred to as a town of 80,000. Even the New York Times goofed on our population when writing some piece about Victoria. We sell ourselves short because of how we choose to portray ourselves. If we want that big city status or whatever, let's start acting like one.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic and Danma like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#185 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

Just another day in Voldemort, BC.

#186 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

. If we want that big city status or whatever, let's start acting like one.

There's nothing more hick that a small town pretending to be a big city.

#187 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

The capital of the Seychelles is likely most often referred to by the whole country name, rather than the name of the island (Mahe) or the name of the city (Victoria).

#188 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

Irish Times is applying for a 9am opening.  Not sure if that means an earlier closing each night.   

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#189 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

^ Convenient to be able to pop in before and after work.
  • Jill likes this

#190 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it'll be the only place with a 9am liquor license.  Last was the old Douggie Hotel pub.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#191 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

^ and before that there was the Drake.
  • weirdie likes this

#192 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

CoV says the application is for 9am opening just on weekends.   Same closing hours.

I don't really know what the hours rules are anymore.

EDIT:  I've now been told by a Ministry official that there are no rules any longer on total hours of operation per day, as long as local government allows an opening earlier than 11am or closing after 12 midnight.

#193 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

anybody got plans or World Whiskey Day? http://worldwhiskyday.com/ other than tastings at the Highland Games?

#194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

https://m.facebook.c...8497362/?type=3

Reports indicate a car has crashed into the Clubhouse at the Strath.

#195 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

https://m.facebook.c...8497362/?type=3

Reports indicate a car has crashed into the Clubhouse at the Strath.

Photos on VV FB:     https://www.facebook...153846081334362

#196 kremora

kremora
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

Hey, I'm new too town and wanted to know where a cool place to have some drinks are in town, any suggestions. i Have only been here for about 3 months and havent gotten to know the city very well yet. 

:1954_dancing:

#197 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

Welcome to Victoria, and VibrantVictoria, kremora! 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#198 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hey, I'm new too town and wanted to know where a cool place to have some drinks are in town, any suggestions. i Have only been here for about 3 months and havent gotten to know the city very well yet. 

What type of place are you looking for? Pub; cocktails; trendy; give us a hint.

#199 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

Irish Times has now moved to a 9am opening on Saturdays (not sure about Sunday).

#200 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

Irish Times Pub goes to 9am opening 7 days per week, on April 23rd.

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)