Photo

2013 Provincial Election General Discussion (May 14)

• Please log in to reply
598 replies to this topic

#561 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

The bottleneck is always at the top of the bottle.

The party needs to rebuild....by tearing down.

The party needs a new president.

The party needs a new everything. :thumbsup:
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#562 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

+1 for Stanford.

Of course once politicians are elected many of them think in only 3 or 4 year terms, whatever their term is. If a goal can't be accomplished within a short time frame it's very likely to never see the light of day. And that's probably why so few local politicians will openly support amalgamation. Why stick your neck out if the process will take a good decade or so?

Many of them think in 2 terms as that is what they need for a pension!

#563 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Many of them think in 2 terms as that is what they need for a pension!

Calling politicians bad names proves they are bad. Right.

#564 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Calling politicians bad names proves they are bad. Right.

I was being nice, Mike suggested that they only thought about a single term!

I don't know of too many businesses or unions for that matter were you could work for 6 years and get $520K lifetime pension.

#565 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Rob Fleming is considering a run for NDP leader? He's never had a real job. Oh my, that would be good for the Liberals.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#566 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Rob Fleming is considering a run for NDP leader? He's never had a real job. Oh my, that would be good for the Liberals.

Uh, what? Consultants aren't paid money for their services? And being a MLA afterwards isn't a real job either? I must have missed the memo.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#567 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Uh, what? Consultants aren't paid money for their services? And being a MLA afterwards isn't a real job either? I must have missed the memo.

I believe he was a consultant to political organizations. I'm suspect of anyone that has made a career of politics and has not even had contact with the free market.

Like Obama:

...a September 2008 New York Times profile of Obama:

“I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters,” Mr. Obama told Patrick Gaspard, his political director, at the start of the 2008 campaign, according to The New Yorker. “I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m going to think I’m a better political director than my political director.”

http://www.aei-ideas...gence-briefers/

One of Fleming's biggest claims to fame is that he got UVic students to get the U-pass, like communists. Guess what - like the bread lines in Russia, we have bus pass-up lines here.

Careful now, I'm only a few posts away from comparing him to Hitler.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#568 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

One of Fleming's biggest claims to fame is that he got UVic students to get the U-pass, like communists. Guess what - like the bread lines in Russia, we have bus pass-up lines here.

That was sheer poetry <golf clap>.

#569 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well at least he wasn't a union leader was he?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#570 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Neither was Moe Sihota.

#571 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Neither was Moe Sihota.

He no Moe, and that's a good thing.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#572 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

^ You don't suppose he took my advice do you LJ ? :)

#573 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

The best one to win is John Horgan, he is fast on his feet, knowledgeable, likable, and no baggage!!!, it's also time to have a premier from anywhere else than Vancouver.

#574 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Lots of NDP bashing here. Let's try not to do the job of the liberals.

But I do agree, the NDP needs to find a better leader and make changes.

#575 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

Lots of NDP bashing here. Let's try not to do the job of the liberals.

But I do agree, the NDP needs to find a better leader and make changes.

Better leader is only the start, return to grass roots of being the working mans party and kick out the eco-activists that hi-jacked it.

I don't think they are capable of realising that most folks actually can think for themselves and refute nanny-state ideology

Rob Fleming is too left wing for most peoples tastes. Perhaps Horigan as he carries some gravitas

#576 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

The best one to win is John Horgan, he is fast on his feet, knowledgeable, likable, and no baggage!!!, it's also time to have a premier from anywhere else than Vancouver.

What, you don't like Kelowna? ;)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#577 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Better leader is only the start, return to grass roots of being the working mans party and kick out the eco-activists that hi-jacked it.

I don't think they are capable of realising that most folks actually can think for themselves and refute nanny-state ideology

Rob Fleming is too left wing for most peoples tastes. Perhaps Horigan as he carries some gravitas

And that is why the NDP won't win. Too many factions who will openly try and sabotage each other. At least the Liberals are smart enough to realize that they need to hold themselves together until AFTER the election!

#578 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I find Horgan to be a gas bag! Too many words and not much substance.

#579 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Actual he was a leader of the UVic student union I believe.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#580 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Not sure where to put this - I thought of starting a new thread, but anyway I'll throw it here for now.

For the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, the BC provincial government ended up with a surplus of $353M!

That's quite the accomplishment really given the general state of the economy. Only one other province ended the year with a surplus (Saskatchewan).

Cutting is never fun. The Liberals have done a good job at trying to keep spending in check, which I applaud them for. It's much easier to say 'yes' when the lobbyist and special interest groups come knocking.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users