• Please log in to reply
5925 replies to this topic

#5601 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,318 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:42 AM

Victoria's-townhome-values-rose-in-November-and-overall-sales-overtook-last-year,-but-market-still-chill.jpg

A view towards Vic West's growing skyline from along Douglas Street near Bay Street in Burnside Gorge. The Capital's real-estate market is slowly moving towards a buyer's market, but fixed-term interest rates are potentially in-store for a drop from their roughly 6% perch.

Mortgage rate drop looks likely this winter, while Victoria's housing market saw ups and downs in November

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5602 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:40 AM

Definitely some political Trudeau-bashing in this video, but overall it's an excellent look at the insanity of Canadian housing prices. 

Poilievre's 15 min Housing Hell doc https://www.youtube....h?v=RxKI9zKhDNE

Addresses the reasons behind high housing costs. Pretty good watch.

#5603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:43 AM

It’s going to get much, much worse.

Governments are using necessities as cash cows. It started with gasoline. Now it’s entrenched in the cost of housing. It’s coming for other forms of energy. And soon, your food.

Look at your municipal budgets.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5604 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:41 AM

A few key points left out - for good reason I'm sure. I.E. Immigration and student visa numbers (being careful not to alienate immigrant voters?). Provincial impacts (Poilievre needs to be careful there as some province governments are his ally).

• Nparker likes this

#5605 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,026 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:42 AM

Agreed. It was a very selective look at the housing "crisis". 

#5606 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,564 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:46 AM

A few key points left out - for good reason I'm sure. I.E. Immigration and student visa numbers (being careful not to alienate immigrant voters?). Provincial impacts (Poilievre needs to be careful there as some province governments are his ally).

Indeed.

#5607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:50 AM

He’s not pointing out immigration because when talking about immigration as a contributor to the housing issues, it unfairly blames -the immigrants- themselves.

Immigration is not the problem. Government policies are the problem.

Just like airline passengers are not the problem, when an airline double books their seats.

Know it all.

#5608 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,564 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:51 AM

He’s not pointing out immigration because when talking about immigration as a contributor to the housing issues, it unfairly blames -the immigrants- themselves.

If you let it.  I don't think anyone here has that opinion.

#5609 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,026 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:52 AM

...Immigration is not the problem. Government policies are the problem...

Government immigration policy is the problem. The numbers are FAR too high.

#5610 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:53 AM

Only people who get off on this thing would point this out. Nobody else is thinking that.

#5611 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:57 AM

I am an immigrant, Max.

Know it all.

#5612 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,564 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:02 AM

I'm not an immigrant but my parents are.

I don't think many say "immigrants are the problem", but yes many of us say "immigration" is a significant part of the problem.  And it is.  And students.

#5613 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:03 AM

I know that. I'm pointing out your double standard re: your smackdown of my 'racism' in the movie thread. (How do you know I'm not part Jewish with the attendant stereotypical proboscis?)

#5614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:09 AM

Are you also part First Nations, Max? You were unnecessarily rude, and fully aware of it, on the heels of making rude comments about First Nations.

I’m not enjoying moderating this forum of late. That sort of content is not why it’s here.

Know it all.

#5615 LJ

LJ
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:43 PM

Immigration is not the problem. Government policies are the problem.

Just like airline passengers are not the problem, when an airline double books their seats.

Poilievre does talk about immigration elsewhere, and it's common sense as well, bring immigrant workers in in trades and professions that we are short of, makes perfect sense and everybody would support it.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5616 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,646 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:49 PM

^ we do bring in skilled labour, but then we make them wait and wait and wait and wait and jump through ridiculous hoops to allow them to stay where they want to stay.

I see the new housing minister is the previous useless minister of immigration. I’m assuming he’s got his pension locked down now?

#5617 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,026 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:35 PM

...bring immigrant workers in in trades and professions that we are short of...

Are we currently short 500,000 skilled workers each year in Canada? 

#5618 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,646 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:08 PM

Think of all the housing we could build with that.
  • max.bravo likes this

#5619 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:48 AM

Think of all the housing we could build with that.

At least housing for the 500,000 workers I would guess.

• Matt R. likes this

#5620 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:51 AM

Poilievre does talk about immigration elsewhere, and it's common sense as well, bring immigrant workers in in trades and professions that we are short of, makes perfect sense and everybody would support it.

Already did that. Only so many doctors and nurses and engineers want to come to Canada. Instead what is now happening is that we are getting low skilled, low wage workers to help fill jobs that employers don't want to invest in to increase productivity. Once those workers arrive, they then bring in parents and grandparents who are retired but need medical care and a social system to support them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users