Twitter | X Corp Inc.

• Please log in to reply
1760 replies to this topic

#101 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 06:43 PM

Well I suppose. I mean that would require some pretty intense computing to look at it and analyze what it is doing. I thought you were saying open source like Linux any doofus can mess with the code. I wouldn't like that as seems open to manipulation.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#102 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 07:19 PM

To understand how content finds its ways to people’s eyes. Right now it’s all guess work and conspiracy. We’ll get a look into how content gets suppressed, and elevated, and why.

Can you let me know how it turns out?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 06:13 AM

It won’t be for us to mess with code, it’ll allow people who do know what the mumbo jumbo is to decode it, and explain it. Someone like Elon Musk will have the resources (obviously) to now state what was elevated and what wasn’t.

That’s historic, since algorithms now control so much of what we consume.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 06:37 AM

Background

• Matt R. likes this

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 06:52 AM

Imagine if Republicans had created a “disinformation board,” and hired a very controversial person to run it.

The purchase of Twitter was timed perhaps to also counter governments all around the world clamping down on freedoms of speech. Progressive’s disdain for debate plays directly into their (government’s) hands, and means they themselves have less work to do on keeping controversial topics suppressed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 07:47 AM

According to MIT the disinformation appears to happen on a greater basis by those on the right than those on the left.

https://psyarxiv.com/ay9q5

It has a whole new look!

#107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:12 AM

According to MIT the disinformation appears to happen on a greater basis by those on the right than those on the left.

How does that explain the the wildly inaccurate perception of “unarmed black male” police shooting deaths or the danger from Covid by those on the left?

From your quoted report:

The Republican users, however, shared substantially more news from misinformation sites – as judged by either fact-checkers or politically balanced crowds – than the Democratic users.

The “fact-checkers” are all left wing organizations. It’s a farce.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 April 2022 - 08:14 AM.

#108 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:21 AM

“ Just last week, Twitter was owned by a confederation of capitalists… Will shuffling different billionaires into leadership make much of a difference? “

https://jacobinmag.c...te-capitalists/

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:25 AM

Yes. It’s not exactly about the worth of the individuals owning it. It’s about their philosophies.

It’s Hoover Institution vs. Southern Poverty Law Centre.

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:35 AM

Fact checking organizations are biased, and politically affiliated. You can’t base research on what 20-somethings deem to be universal truth.

Once Musk makes Twitter for the 80th percentile, what you’ll likely see will be an end to this “far right” blame game nonsense, and far left “communist” blame game nonsense.

Know it all.

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:37 AM

Yes. It’s not exactly about the worth of the individuals owning it. It’s about their philosophies.

It’s Hoover Institution vs. Southern Poverty Law Centre.

Maybe it’s not such a bad thing the Saudis are no longer a major owner of Twitter.

Know it all.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:42 AM

To Watcher’s point, how many times on this forum have people been upset over linking to right-of-centre news outlets, calling them misinformation, while themselves linking to far-left news outlets, calling them credible?

It’s a tale of two sets of tolerances for what constitutes bias.

Know it all.

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 10:20 AM

Maybe what Twitter needs is just someone from Musk’s generation at the helm. This guy sums up the situation relatively well: https://youtube.com/...o?feature=share

Know it all.

#114 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 07:52 PM

To Watcher’s point, how many times on this forum have people been upset over linking to right-of-centre news outlets, calling them misinformation, while themselves linking to far-left news outlets, calling them credible?

It’s a tale of two sets of tolerances for what constitutes bias.

While I agree with the philosophy behind what you are saying here, the left is usually calling out links to Breitbart as extreme right wing while the right wing is usually calling out the Washington Post or NY Times as extreme left wing and of course that is ridiculous.

I would love to get the list of okay to quote centrist media organisations that no one is going to say is biased to one extreme or the other.
  • Mike K. likes this

It has a whole new look!

#115 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 02:07 AM

The problem is the left wants to silence Breitbart but the right wants no such thing for the left publications.

#116 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 04:07 AM

Fox, regarding a Time article:

The author then proceeded to wonder why a rich techie like Musk would even care about freedom of speech and how it "had become paramount concern of the techno-moral universe."

She asked, "Why does Musk care so much about this? Why would a guy who has pushed the boundaries of electric-vehicle manufacturing and plumbed the limits of commercial space flight care about who can say what on Twitter?"

She then cited professor of communication at Stanford University Fred Turner for the answer, who agreed, "It does seem to be a dominant obsession with the most elite." He stated, "[F]ree speech seems to be much more of an obsession among men," and part of "the entrepreneurial push: I did it in business, I did it in space, and now I’m going to do it in the world."

https://www.foxnews....elite-like-musk

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 May 2022 - 04:07 AM.

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 05:25 AM

They are answering their own questions.

Know it all.

#118 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 06:17 AM

I realize that holding Musk up as a brilliant thinker, and a man who, with what seems like very little effort, can bring to bear a deep (engineers) understanding on any subject matter he chooses (electronic payments, space, electric vehicles, tunnel boring, freedom of speech, etc) is not a popularly held opinion.

I've seen Musk speak in numerous videos, and on numerous different topics ... and although I think he's a bit nuts (you can be nuts and brilliant at the same time), I think Musk will surprise a lot of folks with Twitter (I don't have a Twitter account, and never have had a Twitter account).

Musk isn't "right" or "left" in his thinking ... he's way out of the box in his thinking. 

I believe there are two ways for Musk to take Twitter.

One way is that he will come up with a set of ideas that will truly revolutionize instant communications around the world and provide voice to billions of folks that currently don't have a voice ... and the other way he may take Twitter is that he will simply screw it up, causing folks to completely loose their trust in the platform, resulting in it being diminished in stature to the point of loosing a massive chunk of its value.

#119 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 06:34 AM

People should not have "trust in the platform" any more than you have trust in your telephone line or your e-mail account or the conversation you have over the back fence with your neighbour.

That's where he wants to bring it.

#120 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 06:44 AM

Well as I have said before, I would say the majority of active users of the platform do trust it. Why should a private company care if people that don't use it and will never use it, trust it? It doesn't make sense.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users