Twitter | X Corp Inc.

• Please log in to reply
1760 replies to this topic

#121 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 06:44 AM

Well as I have said before, I would say the majority of active users of the platform do trust it. Why should a private company care if people that don't use it and will never use it, trust it? It doesn't make sense.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:19 AM

People arbitrarily cut off from Twitter certainly don’t trust it.

If only people with certain views can trust it, it’s a failed platform.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:25 AM

^That is entirely untrue. It would be a failed platform if it ran out of money and went out of business. It has nothing to do with the trust unless that hits the bottom line. It is a private company.

It has a whole new look!

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:36 AM

It is a public company, but it’s being taken private.

You can still make money and not be trusted (see CNN).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:39 AM

Yes but as a business it can only "fail" if it goes out of business.

It has a whole new look!

#126 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:41 AM

If the outcome people want is trust, they should be asking for Twitter to become a public utility not a for profit business.

It has a whole new look!

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:44 AM

Well, that’s not quite true. MySpace proverbially failed, but it’s still in business.

Twitter still can’t turn a profit. In that sense, it’s already a failure. It’s also failing at applying equal censorship measures to its users. If it wasn’t, we wouldn’t have Musk moving to buy it.

Know it all.

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:45 AM

I think he also wants it to become profitable, something its founders and current executive team have been unable to do.

Know it all.

#129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:47 AM

If the outcome people want is trust, they should be asking for Twitter to become a public utility not a for profit business.

That’s perhaps a good idea, but Twitter refuses to indulge those requests, as do the other big social media companies.

Know it all.

#130 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,041 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:53 AM

He paid $750 per active user for it. So it might be profitable soon (it has turned a profit in two years) but it’ll be a while before he gets his investment back.

#131 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:30 AM

So it has been its most profitable in the two years that people are complaining the most about it? Interesting.

It has a whole new look!

#132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:34 AM

It sells ads.

It’s most profitable when many people use it.

It has not been profitable since Trump was kicked off.

#133 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 09:13 AM

Twitter almost doubled its revenue in 2021 over 2020 so I am not sure that Trump was a positive influence on revenue.

Twitter is a niche product. It is not like Facebook. There is a learning to how to use Twitter so it will never have the same user base. I personally like that about it. As I have said before I really don't care about the free speech aspect and most daily users don't either. I think most users just don't want a product they love screwed up due to a loud group that for the most part don't use it.

It has a whole new look!

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 09:20 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, then. Nothing is going to change for you.

Under Musk, what it sounds will happen is the next time a Hunter Biden laptop story emerges, Twitter will not arbitrarily determine if it's true or not. And Twitter is not niche. If the CBC and local media quotes its content every single day, it is part of the public realm, and ubiquitous.

Know it all.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 09:26 AM

William Shatner wants to be the new face of Twitter, he told Musk via, well, twitter.

Musk responded by telling Shatner he'll always be his Captain.

So there we go, see ya later, bird logo.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#136 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 09:37 AM

By social media standards it is niche. It has about half the daily users of instagram and about 14% of what Facebook has.

If the focus changes from small connected communities to trolling from right and left on everything it will certainly be ruined.

It has a whole new look!

#137 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 10:04 AM

I’m not a Twitter user, but my impression was that Twitter is primarily a political opinion platform. G-man, are you sure you aren’t a niche (non-political) user on a broader political platform?

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 10:05 AM

It’s not popular among kids and teens, that’s for sure.

Good thing is, anyone worried about Musk owning Twitter can go ahead and make their own Twitter.

Know it all.

#139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 10:38 AM

I personally like that about it. As I have said before I really don't care about the free speech aspect and most daily users don't either.

Probably many people do not care much for free speech. Certainly there are parts of the world that yearn for control over their lives and even vote willingly for security over freedom. It’s not a great path, look at Russia.  Iran.  China.  Venezuela.  The entire Middle East, save for Israel.  Most of Africa.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 May 2022 - 10:47 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 10:46 AM

...Certainly there are parts of the world that yearn for control over their lives and even vote willingly for security over freedom. It’s not a great path, look at Russia.

Look at Ottawa, January-February 2022.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)