• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Here' something strange.

The market's sign says Victoria Public Market, the name of the organization that runs the public market is Victoria Downtown Public Market Society, and the website interchangeably refers to the market as Victoria Public Market at the Hudson, the Public Market, and Victoria Public Market.

I can understand not wanting to use ...at the Hudson with every reference to the market, but if you're calling it Victoria Public Market one minute it shouldn't be called Public Market the next. The marketing folks behind the website should start cleaning up these inconsistencies now that the doors have opened.

Last time we looked, it was Eclipse Creative.

And regarding the Monday closure, why would you deny your retailers four or five business days of every month? In a day and age when virtually every retail business is open on Sundays some establishments are going to start closing on Mondays instead? Weird.

Does seem strange, but the retailers signed on for it. Maybe it'll change. Each stall has its own overhead garage-type door, so conceivably some could open while others are closed too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well there is a quest/reporting project for you to do tommorrow .
Head down there hold up your Cell phone with the time next to the City Hall clock.
Take a photo then report back here say at 5pm or should I say at 4:50pm guess it depends on which clock.

Okay, I couldn't snap a pic of the cell phone and tower but my observation was that the clock tower was five minutes behind, relative to my Telus cellphone time. Hugo needs to get up there and fix this. :)

#83 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Seems like a work in progress. Stopped by on Tuesday at 11am hoping to sit down with a pastry and coffee. Only half of the storefronts were open. They had pastries at the pie place, but when I asked about coffee I was directed outside to 2% Jazz. And in so doing she lost a potential customer. Seems a shame when the pie place has small savory pies that a person could have for lunch, but nothing to drink with it.

I also thought that the chairs and tables had a 'temporary' look to them. Not a good choice. They look undersized for that large space.

And I hope they manage to program the community kitchen to keep it busy. It never looks good when a space is behind a locked grill.
Pieta VanDyke

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

And this is exactly why they should have waited with their grand opening. Now folks will be walking up to the market and leaving unimpressed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

I don't get the complaints about the lack of 'decor' or whatever. I was actually really surprised to see that some vendors had their floor tiled. I thought it was supposed to be the kind of place that a fisherman could walk into in his gumboots & waterproofs with the latest catch. Or someone else could walk in with a load of potatoes & carrots just dug up a few hours earlier. when someone says 'farmer's market' or 'market hall' or anything like that I don't imagine harrods or any other fancy place & I don't get why anyone else would. It was still pretty cool to see a lot of local vendors that I probably wouldn't have known about if it weren't for this place. generally pretty cool to have a place like this in town. I'll still check it out some more as they get more vendors. there was a couple outside just with a couple coolers who might get their own meat counter inside someday, stuff like that. & those sandwiches looked good too.

edit: how's this for decor?

http://www.flickr.co...view/223245908/

#86 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just to clarify - Amor's photo is not of the Hudson Market - it is the Pike St market in Seattle.
Pieta VanDyke

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

I figured that it was obvious. I do like the run down look but what we have is quite nice too but to a much higher quality. Have walked through a couple times this week and it has been quite busy. Line up for the Roast place has been very long.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#88 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

anyone have photo's of the new market?

#89 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Some here - http://instagram.com...riapublicmarket

#90 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Bunch more here - https://www.facebook...riaPublicMarket

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

http://www.timescolo...ina-gm-1.664083

Cowichan Bay Seafood is opening today as the Victoria Public Market in the Hudson building marks its first month since opening.

Thousands of visitors poured into the market when it opened in September, fulfilling a years-long dream for many local residents. Vendors include the French Oven, Victoria Pie Co., Silk Road Tea, Salt Spring Island Cheese and Sutra, part of Vij's restaurant group in Vancouver.

The market is run by a non-profit society in 18,000 square feet of space and is developing a diverse mix of vendors. La Cocina de Mama Oli has recently opened in the market, dishing out Mexican food. The Damn Fine Cake Co. is expected to set up early next week, with kitchen supply store, Whisk, opening in December. The Grocer at the Hudson, which is being started by Hudson developer Townline, is also expected to open in December and will be selling produce and dairy products. Ravenstone Farm Artisan Meats, a family farm in Qualicum Beach, is expected to open in January.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#92 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

very cool. what kind of market doesn't have a green grocer?

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

10175069_320621698085360_799437578801835

10290660_320621724752024_290683448716341

10309363_320621728085357_373440638498659

All via Victoria Buzz

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

I've noticed that the times I've walked through the market as of late it has been rather void of activity. I also don't see a lot of marketing out there promoting the market or individual tenants within. And it's still closed on Mondays (how can this possibly be good for business?).

When does the VanCity grant expire?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

I've noticed that the times I've walked through the market as of late it has been rather void of activity. I also don't see a lot of marketing out there promoting the market or individual tenants within. And it's still closed on Mondays (how can this possibly be good for business?).

When does the VanCity grant expire?

The Zone has ads for wood place selling cutting boards there.  Wow, that's petty niche for $35 per 30-second spot.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

The Zone, hey? Isn't that like the second least listened to station in the region?

Anyways, I had no idea there even was a cutting board place in there.

Know it all.

#97 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

The Zone, hey? Isn't that like the second least listened to station in the region?

You do now. Thanks to a $35 ad on the second-least listened to station in the region. :)

#98 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

....And it's still closed on Mondays (how can this possibly be good for business?)....

It isn't. As I have stated before in other threads, many government employees have a "flex" day on Mondays as well as numerous others who work Tuesday-Saturday schedules. Being closed for business on Mondays is just a bad idea. But as it has been stated this market doesn't seem to be especially well-run.

• Mike K. likes this

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Yes, that's why the ads are so cheap.  AM or PM drive on the Q are you are gonna be paying more like $75 per spot. 

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Ok, so now that we know there's a board cutting place in there thanks to that ad, what exactly is a board cutting place?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users