Photo

[Vic West - Victoria] Bayview One condo | 35m | 11-storeys | Built - completed in Mar 2009

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

Songhees condos given green light

Victoria News Sep 20 2006

Another cluster of tall buildings is poised to rise in Victoria West after city council issued development permits for two Saghalie Road condo projects at Thursday's committee-of-the-whole meeting.

Bayview Properties Ltd. plans to build 144 units in three buildings on two large lots in the Songhees - a 13-storey and 11-storey tower plus a five-storey building that includes two floors of gymnasium and "amenity space."

[...]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

144 units in three buildings

Those must be some big units

Astoria has like 165 units in a single 19 floor building

#23 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

on two large lots in the Songhees

large lots in the Songhees? How surprising :roll:

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:29 AM

There are tall relative to what is around them. Also there are going to be fat I'll bet, if the first one is any indication.

I was walking through Chinatown yesterday looking across at Shutters and the cranes for Bayview and I was thinking you know if I didn't know better I would think there would be some reason to walk over there. I wonder how Tourists of the future will be fooled.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

144 units in three buildings

Those must be some big units

Astoria has like 165 units in a single 19 floor building

The paper messed up once again. It's 144 units in the first building at 10-storeys, not 11 or 13. Phases II and III will have the 11 and 13-storey buildings.

To consider three buildings as one and not even mention how tall the first building will be is sloppy reporting. And judging by the councillor chosen for the quote of the day I have a feeling that this article was written this way for a reason.

Btw, this 10-storey building will be virtually identical in height to the 11-storey building sitting across the street -- the one designed by Arthur Erickson in the 60's. Yup, it's the same Erickson who recently came back to Victoria to badmouth tall, prominent buildings along the harbour and who later received accolades from Councillor Madoff for his comments. Oh yeah, and that's the same Erickson who is now designing the 12-storey condo atop Triangle Mountain :roll:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

Sitkum Lodge was built in like 1982, no?

I was up at Triangle Mountain a few weeks ago. I'd never been there before in my life. There's still real forest on that mountain.

#27 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

thanks to PAMCO this is going to be one ugly development

#28 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

thanks to PAMCO this is going to be one ugly development

It should fit in nicely with the rest of the Songhees then :roll:

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

I'd still like to see a good rendering. Don't pull a Wave on us and not show us the final version until...the building is finished.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

Judging by the model in the display suite, this will indeed be a behemoth straight outta 1990. Can't blame Ken Mariash for this one as it was councillors who imposed ridiculous rules on him. If councillor Madoff was indeed so concerned with the building then she'd have been willing to work with him on improving the design.

Instead she's going to wait until its built and use it as an example of the pending apocalypse. She'll milk Songhees Hilltop endlessly in an attempt to turn some development promoters into haters and squash Marish's attempts at building something impressive from a clean slate at The Roundhouse property. And the media will love her for it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

What sort of 1990s behemoth are we talking about? Something like the Metropolitan? If it's something like the Metropolitan but with higher end materials and details and such then it won't be so bad. It'll be better than the Metropolitan.

Something like Shoal Point would also be pretty neat up on the hill there.

A good behemoth is better than a bad highrise.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

If it looks mostly like that old model picture we have seen than it won't be that bad. I mean they can't make it look too dated as they want people to buy into it.

It has a whole new look!

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

What sort of 1990s behemoth are we talking about? Something like the Metropolitan? If it's something like the Metropolitan but with higher end materials and details and such then it won't be so bad. It'll be better than the Metropolitan.

Nothing specific to Victoria, just an era of design. I'm more concerned about the stye, with modern highrises (late 90s+) having substantially more glass than wall. That's not the case with Hilltop.

A good behemoth is better than a bad highrise.

I'd say that'd make them on par.

Know it all.

#34 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

i was referencing the ideas that because PAMCO is soo harsh that some developers are just going to come in on zoning regs and put up crap structures, rather than fight for the density to allow them some quality.

face it any structure that comes inside zoning regs is just a stick em up project to make a quick buck and screw the public

#35 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

So are we expecting this 10-story hilltop job to be about as tall as that crane there? What a shame it would be if such a prominent building isn't top quality. I sure would like to see a detailed rendering.

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

Well I expect it to be slightly shorter than the two cranes on the site but still it is going to be big. It may turn out nice but they should release some renderings not that anything can be changed at this point.

It has a whole new look!

#37 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

What an awesome pan-shot.

We should put this in the Gallery.

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Word is prices will be set at about $800 per sq foot!
Insane!
Just to give some of you who don't think in prices per square foot, The Falls is $650 per square foot and Dockside's latest phase is $550.
Good luck to them cuz they're going to need it.

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

The model is back on display for this building down on Wharf Street. Not the best model but it sure shows its size. If anyone happens to be in the area with a camera...

It has a whole new look!

#40 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

Taken on Sunday, October 22nd

*scroll to the right to see it all*

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users