90 replies to this topic

#21 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

They are a more upscale store than Superstore or Loblaw's

Most grocery stores tend to be more upscale than Superstore... :redface:
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#22 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

There always is that weird Superstore in Esquimalt, but it has a lot of crap products and doesnt take credit card. Does have cheap prices though on a lot of Loblaws items.

Also I was thinking the other day about what a killing Thrifty's must be making these days. It would be neat to see a price comparison between what they sell their self branded items at in a Sobey's vs Thrifty's. I would be they are getting a much bigger markup at Thrifty's!!

#23 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Quality Foods will give Thrifty's a run for their money, the view royal store is only the first location planned in the Victoria market.
This is great news, as QF is the largest Island owned chain on the Island.
Thrifty's is only a name and shell for Sobey's these days.
It's sad , when I shop in the James Bay Thrifty's, to see the thrifty product branding disappearing , "our compliments" does not speak to me in the same way

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I dunno, I've been to several QF stores on the Island and none struck me as particularly upscale. They felt and looked no different from Country Grocer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

^But the downtown Vancouver IGA is decidedly more upscale (in looks, at least) than the average lower mainland IGA. All QF has to do is brand it as an upscale market with fancier digs and I bet they will make an impact. Forget about their older stores, with this one they can make it whatever they want. Think about the old Town & Country Moxie's diner compared to the fine dining Moxie's at Vancouver and Yates.

Thrifty is very vulnerable now. TF customer loyalty is fading away and frankly, their stores are starting to bore me with the same old products.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Mike, I'm assuming you have never been in the courtenay or Powell river QF ???, or the second floor of the stores?, it's nothing like a country grocer.
If you google courtenay QF, you will see they won the Canadian grocers award for best grocery store in Canada.

#27 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Quality Foods will give Thrifty's a run for their money, the view royal store is only the first location planned in the Victoria market.
This is great news, as QF is the largest Island owned chain on the Island.
Thrifty's is only a name and shell for Sobey's these days.
It's sad , when I shop in the James Bay Thrifty's, to see the thrifty product branding disappearing , "our compliments" does not speak to me in the same way

Jimmy Pattison is now the largest owner of QF (according to the street) so it is hardly fair to throw Thrifty's under the comparison bus. One could easily make the same claim that QF is just going to become a Save on Foods shell.

Word is that Thrifty's has been losing share since the Sobey's deal and that is not really a suprise. There are lots of grocey options now with lots of new entrants.

#28 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well, it's official, Langford will be the second QF store in Victoria, going in on Langford Parkway, will be open next year !!

#29 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Won't that make it the first then? ;)

#30 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Won't that make it the first then? ;)

Yes the article states the langford one will be open 1 year before the View Royal one

#31 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

And I heard from a good source , more still to be announced

#32 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Moving into an existing building or a new build?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#33 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Existing. The Ashley Furniture building

#34 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Existing. The Ashley Furniture building

Ashley's is out of business AGAIN?!?

#35 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

^That's what they specialize in.
  • bluefox likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#36 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

The Langford Quality Foods opens next week on Thursday July 10 2014

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Already got my QF card number, I pick the card up and a free 2 litre milk when I go in.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

A Cascadia Liquor Store is attached to the new Quality Foods. Exterior entrance but big deal.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

I heard a report saying it's fantastic. It sounded like the best of all the local supermarkets--the Chinese buffet of Fairway, the pizza oven of Thrifty, plus things no-one else has like an in-house smoker.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#40 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

It's a really nice store, unfortunately prices are on par everywhere else. Deals are to be found though.

Overall, a welcome entry into the market.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users