Photo

Google

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

Meanwhile here is what those good liberal folks are up to.......

https://www.vanityfa...c-inner-sanctum

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

Meanwhile here is what those good liberal folks are up to.......

https://www.vanityfa...c-inner-sanctum

About 1/2 of that story is true. VC's trying to ply young entrepreneurs with women is nothing new. That these women are Silicon's Valley's poor and desperate just trying to keep up with society is BS.No question that there is lots of booze but I have never seen any conspicuous drug use. I am sure it happens but it is not nearly as abundant or in the forefront as the author suggests (at least at the parties I have been to).

If you want a pretty accurate depiction of what is actually going on watch HBO's Silicon Valley. It really is that crazy a lot of the time.

• Mike K. likes this

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

You almost get the sense like they’re trying to claim the practices are shocking, but they’re also clearly embellishing the details to create a kind of aura or allure with respect to the activities of the tech elites.

It’s a garbage article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

https://www.ctvnews....trump-1.4214594

Sometimes things just are what they are.

Google search the word "idiot", images of Trump come up.

• Nparker likes this

#25 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

Google search the word "idiot", images of Trump come up.

I know that it's considered to be in terribly poor taste here in 2018, what with all the political correctness that the general public is obliged to attend to, but somehow the leaders of (in this case) the USA aren't obliged to even acknowledge exists ... but for me:

:banana: Schadenfreude!!! :banana: 

#26 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

I had to goggle search the word "Schadenfreude".

Yep. :1954_dancing:

#27 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

I had to goggle search the word "Schadenfreude".

Yep. :1954_dancing:

I think its a pumpkin beer by Parallel 49 

• Cassidy likes this

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:23 AM

The US is asking Apple and Google to cancel TikTok on their app platforms after citing espionage and data mining by the Chinese government through the app.

Well obvs. It only took a few years to admit it.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:26 AM

A commissioner with the U.S. communications regulator is asking Apple and Google to consider banning TikTok from their app stores over data security concerns related to the Chinese-owned company.

Brendan Carr, a commissioner with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), has written a letter to the CEOs of both companies, alerting them that the wildly popular video-sharing app does not comply with the requirements of their app store policies.

"TikTok is not what it appears to be on the surface. It is not just an app for sharing funny videos or meme. That's the sheep's clothing," Carr said in the letter. "At its core, TikTok functions as a sophisticated surveillance tool that harvests extensive amounts of personal and sensitive data."

"It is clear that TikTok poses an unacceptable national security risk due to its extensive data harvesting being combined with Beijing's apparently unchecked access to that sensitive data."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2022 - 09:27 AM.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:33 AM

The US is asking Apple and Google to cancel TikTok on their app platforms after citing espionage and data mining by the Chinese government through the app.

Well obvs. It only took a few years to admit it.

And how is that different than what Apple and Google collect on their platforms which the US Government then forces them to share with homeland security? That is right, the US can't force Tiktok to share anything!

• Nparker likes this

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:35 AM

And how is that different than what Apple and Google collect on their platforms which the US Government then forces them to share with homeland security? That is right, the US can't force Tiktok to share anything!

It's different in that it's a foreign government collecting the information.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2022 - 09:35 AM.

#32 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:19 AM

It's different in that it's a foreign government collecting the information.

So we should trust the large domestic Government more?
  • Nparker likes this

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:24 AM

Certainly not a large foreign government more.

Know it all.

#34 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:27 AM

It’s not exactly a two way street. US companies are hampered working in China. No reason to welcome TikTok with open arms. And data.

American social media platforms have all the features of TT. There is choice.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2022 - 10:28 AM.

#35 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:36 AM

It’s not exactly a two way street. US companies are hampered working in China. No reason to welcome TikTok with open arms. And data.

American social media platforms have all the features of TT. There is choice.

No doubt Google is very happy, Tiktok was growing 4x faster than Youtube and threatening ad revenue.

I think most people are realizing however that US and Canadian claims against Chinese foreign companies are at best overstated. The larger issue of course is the US's position that China cannot be allowed to come the world's largest economy and that the global currency has to always be the USD. Both are under threat as China is moving quickly on both.

Scott Ritter, when he isn't being inappropriate with children, is a pretty accurate forecaster of global geopolitical trends. He has predicted a world war between China and the US within 6-12 months. I am not as pessimistic but it is certainly coming if we keep allowing the US to throw its weight around carelessly.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:47 AM

Anyone is free to leave the oppressive West and move to China, where they can live their fullest and best self.

Know it all.

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:48 AM

The US is the largest importer of Chinese goods and services. Period.

I hope that prevents war.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:21 AM

Hopefully China is recognizing that when sanctions kick in, it’s tough to run a country dependant on exports, and foreign professional resources.

Know it all.

#39 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:27 AM

Hopefully China is recognizing that when sanctions kick in, it’s tough to run a country dependant on exports, and foreign professional resources.

Doesn’t seem to be hurting Russia

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:40 AM

Oh, I don’t know about that.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users