Photo

Red Fish, Blue Fish | Victoria | 1006 Wharf St.

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

At today's Committee of the Whole meeting, Council approved a development permit for a small restaurant at 1006 Wharf, just below the Malahat building. It will be housed in a recycled shipping container. It will be called "Red Fish Blue Fish" and will be a fish and chips take out place.

This was a surprise to me. Because no rezoning or variance was involved our group was unaware. I think this will be a good addition to the area but I wonder if this piecemeal development of metal shacks and sheds on the waterfront will hamper future efforts to properly develop this land.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

It sounds very moveable! Is it on a lease?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

I love the idea of using old containers for buildings. In fact...

http://www.container.../index.php?id=1

Imagine something like this along the gorge. Cheap colourful affordable housing.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

I think it's a really cool idea. The container house in Fernwood is done. Check it out here: http://www.zigloo.ca/index/projects/Zigloo_or_Igloo
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#5 Mike

Mike
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:20 AM

The use of shipping containers + lot in San Francisco as studio space:

[url=http://mindfart.com/shipyard/movie/:52523]link[/url:52523]

#6 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:04 AM

At today's Committee of the Whole meeting, Council approved a development permit for a small restaurant at 1006 Wharf, just below the Malahat building.

What building are you referring to as The Malahat Building? I don't see a building by that name in Exploring Victoria's Architecture by Seggar and Franklin.The Dominion Customs House is 1002 Wharf and the next building to the north beyond the below grade parking lot is The Finlayson Building at 1202-1214 Wharf Street (The city's zoning map calls this 1208 Wharf Street.). 1006 Wharf Street doesn't seem to exist in the city's zoning map but I assume we are talking about a pad in the parking lot near the Harbour Air terminal.

I thought CRD Health (VIHA now?) hounded the food carts out of business because they didn't have running water for hand washing. These folks must have a solution for that problem.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:22 AM

Food Carts should be allowed everywhere! Down with fascist health inspectors!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:32 AM

I believe the Malahat building is the old red brick one on Wharf Street right next to the parking lot where the floatplanes and folkfest entrance are. I remember that because they usually take out a full backpage ad in the FolkFest program every year.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

^Yes, and it's owned by former Mayor Peter Pollen.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

According to the CRD aerial, that building's 1002.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:19 AM

Never mind. I guess the parking lot is 1006. even though it doesn't say so on the aerial.

#12 Sam Salmon

Sam Salmon
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

This must be where the rumour that Vancouver's Gord Martin is opening up another of his successful Go Fish operations in Victoria comes from.

Maybe because he only has one Go Fish and people are always wondering...... :roll:

#13 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

It appears this fish and chip shop on the waterfront was approved at last week's council meeting [[url=http://www.victoria.ca/contentmanager/minutes/min070308_cnc.pdf:6e00b]PDF[/url:6e00b]]. But you'll have to work at finding it when it opens because it appears they won't be able to have any signage and they're using an odour scrubbing technology to eliminate the smell.

Councillor Hughes said that it will be an interesting addition to the area. She is convinced the odour issue has been addressed and the technology is being used successfully in Burnaby. She hopes that it will become a destination for Fish & Chips, as Barbs Fish & Chips is.

Councillor Thornton-Joe said ... It may not be a fishing harbour, but it is a working harbour, so the restaurant is appropriate.

#14 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

Article in the T-C about them today -- they're in a converted container! An added "cool architecture" bonus, in other words...

Shipping container is home for new downtown restaurant
Carla Wilson, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Step up to porthole number one to order one fish, two fish or even more fish at Victoria's newest downtown waterfront restaurant, Red Fish Blue Fish.

A steel shipping container which once carried cars is in the final stages of being converted into a seafood restaurant with the name that sounds like a Dr. Seuss book. The owners are working flat-out to have it ready, with needed permits, to be open by this weekend in time for Sunday's Symphony Splash.

"The man with the drill in his hand - he's our chef," says Simon Sobolewski, one of the owners, pointing to Kunal Ghose, another partner.

Just 2.5 x 6 metres, everything in the kitchen has its place. "It's plenty of room," Sobolewski said.

From the Wharf Street pier, one of the first thing you'll see is a garden. Lavender and fat-leaved, drought-resistant sedum plants cover the restaurant's roof which helps keep the interior of the steel box cool.

A chubby silver smokestack rises from the roof to vent restaurant emissions 200 feet into the air where they are dissipated, Sobolewski said.

Inspired by Vancouver's popular Go Fish restaurant, Red Fish Blue Fish is offering a menu of fresh seafood. Fisherman and partner Steve Johansen will supply much of the fish, catching it by line as a way of supporting sustainable fisheries. Red Fish Blue Fish supports the goals of the 100-mile diet, which refers to food produced within that limit. The fourth partner is designer Barbara Houston.

Take-out meals will be about $10. Offerings include fish-and-chips, seafood sandwiches, and fish tacones, which are grilled tortilla hand-rolls, plus barbecued seafood.

Everything produced by the restaurant will be either composted or recycled so that neither the restaurant or customer creates garbage, Sobolewski said.

Red Fish Blue Fish will be open daily from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., unless harbour activities are on, in which case it will stay open later.

Locals are expected to be the mainstay of the restaurant, given a three-year lease as part of a plan to revitalize the Inner Harbour area.
http://www.canada.co... ... b3&k=97398

The article includes a photo (see link, above), captioned: "Restaurant manager April Ollen with Simon Sobolewski, one of the owners of a restaurant that is opening inside a converted metal shipping container. Bruce Stotesbury, Times Colonist"
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Article in the T-C about them today

A chubby silver smokestack rises from the roof to vent restaurant emissions 200 feet into the air

A chubby silver smokestack rises from the roof to vent restaurant emissions 61 metres into the air

Looks like the metric police got to that article within the last hour.

In any case, it doesn't make sense. Surely the smokestack is not 61 metres tall. How do the emissions know how far to go up and when to dissipate? What magic prevents the fumes from only going up ten metres? Are there any fume technicians here that can answer me this?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

I can say with certainty that my uncle Tony's post-burrito exhaust system can suffocate an entire gymnasium, but perhaps the fumes in question are a different type of fume altogether.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

[quote name='Holden West'][quote name='"Ms. B. Havin":258a6']Article in the T-C about them today
[quote]
A chubby silver smokestack rises from the roof to vent restaurant emissions 200 feet into the air[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='Times-Colonist']A chubby silver smokestack rises from the roof to vent restaurant emissions 61 metres into the air[/quote]

Looks like the metric police got to that article within the last hour.

In any case, it doesn't make sense. Surely the smokestack is not 61 metres tall. How do the emissions know how far to go up and when to dissipate? What magic prevents the fumes from only going up ten metres? Are there any fume technicians here that can answer me this?[/quote:258a6]

I'm guessing that some how they have determined that with the heat of the exhaust, it goes that height before it becomes the same temperature as the surrounding air, and stops rising, and thus dissipates horizontally.

My hard-copy TC said 61 metres.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

I'm guessing that some how they have determined that with the heat of the exhaust, it goes that height before it becomes the same temperature as the surrounding air, and stops rising, and thus dissipates horizontally.

Damn, that's pretty good. That makes me feel kinda dumb, like Ricky:

Ricky: Treena, I'm stupid. I'm not as smart as everyone else.
Treena Lahey: No, Ricky, you're not stupid, remember you're going to get your grade 10 and you'll be just as smart as everyone else.
Ricky: I dunno, Treena.
Treena Lahey: OK, What's the capital of Nova Scotia?
Ricky: That's easy, Halifax.
Treena Lahey: OK, then what's the capital of British Columbia?
Ricky: Victoriaville.
Treena Lahey: See, Ricky, you're just as smart as everyone else.

#19 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

I went to RFBF a few weeks ago and it was excellent. I had the halibut and chips and tried the chowder. Kennebec fries were twice cooked and outstanding.

I would like to see them get rid of the microwave as it is a personal pet peeve of mine to see one in a restaurant that is serving excellent food. Many restaurants have them and thay are for lazy cooks.

You will not see a microwave in Paprika Bistro.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

I'll remember to leave mine in the car.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users