Photo

Red Fish, Blue Fish | Victoria | 1006 Wharf St.

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

sweet jebus I had their tempura'd dill pickle on the weekend & I swear it's the best thing I've had downtown in ages. & only $3.50 :o That scallop tacone (aka wrap) sounds good; maybe I'll give it a go next time I go down there....

#42 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Ah yes, that battered pickle. They've finally got the right ratio of batter to dill - love them.
At the mo, Red Fish also have the seasonal spot prawn tacones on the menu in addition to all their other goodness - mighty fine.

The comment upthread about the price of "fi and chi." You are right, it is expensive and I've noticed the price increase for this once cheap n' greasy fix at at most places around my nieghbourhood - that's downtown, Fairfield and James Bay.

#43 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

I just saw this place on Eat St. No youtube clip yet though. Got to check out the Food Network this week.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

Crazy lines there today. Is that normal or is it because of the spot on the Food Network?

#45 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

The lines are always crazy during summer. I'll go occasionally during spring or fall during non-peak hours. Though for lower price and equivalent quality of food I'd rather go to Haultain Fish & Chips. Only missing the oceanside view.

#46 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

The Eat St. episode is on again tomorrow at 9:30. 3:00 and 8:30 and then Mon. Aug. 1 at 6 am.

#47 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Was talking about the long lines at work today and someone heard there is a chance they could be opening a location on the Selkirk/Dockside green area?

#48 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

Met Mrs Deeds for lunch at 11:30 2 weeks ago (my first time there)and had a 40 min wait in line to order food? It was excellent but with all the food choices around I don't thnk I would wait in the line again for that long. I think they will lose the Govt lunch crowd (if havent already) if they can't speed it up or open another location?

#49 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

The lineups are insane, you'd think it was the only fish place in the city, let alone downtown. At least it's better quality and not such a punch in the face rip-off as barbs. You're mostly paying for the setting.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

They should probably consider a second location. Although there's the risk of diluting the brand (recall talk of the Noodle Box's "good old days" before expansion) if they don't expand they also run a risk of invoking the Yogi Berra paradox: "Nobody goes there anymore--it's too busy".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Don't they figure prominently in the GV Harbour Authority's plans for the old steamship terminal? Or has that plan changed?

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

I simply would not be able to help myself. My prices would be going up, with an off-peak discount if necessary. An extra $2 per person from that line alone nets you an extra $80 - just from that 30-minute line. Repeat for several hours each day.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

deleted

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

^ ...assuming the number of people in line is the same

I know it's not that simple, but that line must make many people turn round, lost business to elsewhere.

The (impossible) trick is to have your prices set at the variable price level that always means there are 3 people lined up, all day.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

$160 an hour is just not worth that risk, IMO.

#56 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

Don't they figure prominently in the GV Harbour Authority's plans for the old steamship terminal? Or has that plan changed?

I think they were part of the Maritime Museum's rejected proposal.

#57 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

I know it's not that simple, but that line must make many people turn round, lost business to elsewhere.

The (impossible) trick is to have your prices set at the variable price level that always means there are 3 people lined up, all day.

Something to keep in mind: that line is one of their best marketing tools. People think it must be good with such a line, and they're mostly right.

Personally, I wouldn't go there if I saw a line-up like the one you posted. The front-end of the ice cream truck is probably my threshold. I think tourists have a higher threshold though; hell, I've waited in much, much smaller lines for much worse food and attraction. For the average tourist that line is probably peanuts. I know it's annoying for the local lunch crowd, but I'm sure its great business for RFBF.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

I haven't yet had the chance to try this place out. Every time I think to go there there's a line. One day... :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I haven't yet had the chance to try this place out. Every time I think to go there there's a line. One day... :)

There's always a line of some sort, so that's kind of inescapable, but it's not as bad earlier in the season. The line also moves at a pretty good pace, especially compared to most other restaurants in town. They give fast food franchises a run for their money in terms of throughput.

#60 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I went one day months ago when it was pouring rain. There were only a few people ahead of me that time.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users