Endangered buildings list

• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#301 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:57 AM

But I will agree some kids need much more supervision than others.

I guess though a kid that is driven to learn can always explore the internet, or even read books as they choose now, parallel to their schooling.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#302 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

Kids can already go virtual and enroll in school via distance education. My daughter is taking classes at home while in France for three months.

SIDES has been doing this for a long time, pre internet even, when you would just mail in your material or drop off at their office.

Matt.

#303 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:38 AM

Anytime, anyplace, any path, any pace.

When I was the parent advisory council chair from elementary through to high school, I brought up the topic more than once about having some structured classes being taught by a virtual teacher. 

This would be where the students would take a particular class by video where the instructor (or a group of instructors) are experts in their fields of study. A sort of enhanced high calibre training. 

The teachers union didn't like the idea one bit.

If this bends off topic much more,  we may need another thread for this.

• Bingo likes this

#304 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:11 AM

The future of the province's oldest high school is uncertain and whether Victoria High is torn down or upgraded, it will likely mean the end to the century-old steam radiators and boilers.

Zain Jason, the power engineer and custodian at Vic High, is one of the last school steam engineers. He cares for the nearly extinct machinery that heats the building.

The school was opened in 1876 and moved to its current location mere months before the First World War broke out.

"Back in those days, there were a number of people that worked in these rooms at all times," Jason told Gregor Craigie, the host of CBC's On The Island.

"There would be a chief engineer and an assistant engineer, most likely, in addition to stokers who would gather the coal from the coal bin at the back, break it up and shovel it into the boilers all day long."

The boiler room, which runs at a toasty 40 C, has two large boilers, with the d the original pressure gauges, that run at full power on natural gas during the colder months.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-high-1.4633696

Edited by amor de cosmos, 25 April 2018 - 06:11 AM.

#305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

There are a host of valid reasons for wanting to preserve Vic High; sentimentality for its century old mechanical systems is not one of them.

Edited by Nparker, 25 April 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#306 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

^We should retrofit the boiler to the original specifications to provide jobs for unemployed colliers.

• Nparker likes this

#307 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

No idea where the thread is (VV search option sucks) but Vic High will be renovated (not demolished), says the school board, unanimously.

Vic High is officially on the endangered list at 104 years old.

The district has made a media release stating that a plan is officially green lighted to either tear down and build a new Vic High, or to renovate & restore the current building from the inside out.

The Renovation and restoration costs Millions of more dollars, then to simply build a NEW Vic High.

Based on that, I am going to make a prediction that the school will be replaced. Not only because its Millions of dollars less to do that, but also because the school has to be Bigger and accommodate hundreds of more students. The Fairy Tech Wing is only about 10 years old, so it would be a shame to see that go so soon, but it may be the only option unless they move the students to S.J. Willis for the entire construction of a new school.

#308 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

...The SD61 Board of Education is expected to choose a preferred option to be presented to the Ministry of Education by the end of June.  It is ultimately the province that will decide how much money is available to spend, and what the future for the Vic High building will be.

https://www.cheknews...uilding-450438/

So if the province doesn't pony-up the big bucks for the total restoration, what then?

Edited by Nparker, 15 May 2018 - 09:57 AM.

#309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:53 AM

It comes down.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#310 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

Exactly. There's just no money and no precedent for doing expensive retrofits/renovations on BC schools:

• Wellington Secondary – Nanaimo – ($22.6 million) seismic upgrade
  • Georges P. Vanier Secondary – Courtenay – ($33.8 million) partial replacement and seismic upgrade
  • Kitsilano Secondary – ($65 million) seismic upgrade and restoration
  • Lord Strathcona Elementary – ($25.6 million) seismic upgrade
  • Queen Mary Elementary – ($19.1 million) seismic upgrade
  • Alpha Secondary – Burnaby – ($27.2 million) seismic upgrade
  • Langley Secondary – ($26.2 million) –  seismic upgrade

https://news.gov.bc....EDUC0001-000007

But aastra, those schools are special! Vic High is nothing special!

Seriously, in light of this Vic High debate, the Kitsilano project should be glaring to any rational, thinking person. If Kits is worth spending $65 million+ to preserve the facade on a new facility then Vic High is worth spending at least as much. Preserve the facade on three sides and preserve the height/mass/physical presence of the old building.

“In Kitsilano, the cost of renovations would have been much higher than the cost of a new school, so they went with a new school,” said Atkinson.

Everything besides the facade of the building, which dates back to 1927, will be rebuilt.

“It’s been an iconic building for a long time,” said Atkinson. “That facade was really important to the community, and the consultation process was successful in keeping that.”

http://www.vancourie...pgrade-1.610891

"We are excited to begin seismic and heritage restoration and redevelopment of Kitsilano Secondary school," said Vancouver board of education chair, Patti Bacchus. "This school has the highest heritage value among Lower Mainland secondary institutions and is a source of pride in our school district.

https://news.gov.bc....schools-history

I mean, come on. Little Queen Mary school (in Point Grey)... $20 million bucks. It's a great old building that has a great presence in the neighbourhood and it was well worth preserving, for sure. But the idea that we could waffle about Vic High and do it with straight faces...

Edited by aastra, 16 May 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#311 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

The people that tore down the beautiful, irreplaceable buildings featured in the many pages of this thread were rational and pragmatic. 

#312 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Kits:

slider6-1.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#313 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Kits:

kitsilano-secondary-school_0-900x444.gif

#314 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

^ I bet the students much prefer classes in the new section

#315 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

The old part is new as well. They just preserved the facade.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#316 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

The old part is new as well. They just preserved the facade.

Photo from construction, via Vancouver Courier

vsb.jpg

#317 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

This is what I'm getting at. Kitsilano High was a great old building and it had unique and defining physical presence in the neighbourhood. Any justification for doing this work in Kitsilano is only that much more justified in the case of Vic High and its Fernwood neighbourhood. I really like the area around Kitsilano High but Vic High and Fernwood are in a different league, let's be serious here.

The thing about Vic High is, it's essentially a 3-sided building. It could be really neat if they preserve the C-shaped facade and drop a cube-shaped new building into the center. But the new construction would have to be the same height as the old building. The new construction should be the same height as the old building, anyway.

#318 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

And Vic High's facade is much nicer than Kits'. 

• tedward likes this

#319 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Ridgeway School and Queen Mary School in North Vancouver also had their innards gutted completely and their historic facades preserved to the tune of $20 million each? Is that right?

1003214385-1003214448.jpg

pic from https://www.hpacmag....kin-and-rollin/

Edited by aastra, 16 May 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#320 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

^ I'm not an  engineer, but somehow I feel those springs near the bottom are not doing their job.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 May 2018 - 12:19 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users