Endangered buildings list

• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#61 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

Had the pleasure of working on this well maintained, historical building today :)

Attached Images

• 6555233_39_b1.jpg

#62 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

How may more times do we need to know about Dunsmuir and that he built this place.

Dunsimuir had a  massive home on Menzies across from the Leg. but it was torn down no one cares any more for Dunsmuir.

they were slave drivers and horrible employers who treated their employees like crap.

He was no hero.

#63 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

We'd have no great heritage architecture if it weren't for the efforts of a few total sons of *****es.

• Mike K. likes this

#64 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

so true

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

We'd have no great heritage architecture if it weren't for the efforts of a few total sons of *****es.

Or... http://en.wikipedia....Andrew_Carnegie

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

...no one cares any more for Dunsmuir.

I care. There are a few long gone Dunsmuir-related houses around town that I wish were still there.

Burn5c.jpg

People in California also seem to care:

http://en.wikipedia..../Dunsmuir_House

#67 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

Dunsmuir Super Service on Pembroke Street will do a fine job of servicing your vehicle.

#68 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

How may more times do we need to know about Dunsmuir and that he built this place.

Dunsimuir had a  massive home on Menzies across from the Leg. but it was torn down no one cares any more for Dunsmuir.

they were slave drivers and horrible employers who treated their employees like crap.

He was no hero.

Chica reminds U that this is a thread aboot endangered buildings :)

#69 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

So why our you not talking about one

Ians coffee shop

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Let's try to get this one back on track folks...  

When do you think this gem will go?  It's kind of orphaned here... just one of a few blue-tarp roofs in town.

117763.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

It's the weirdest abandoned house in Victoria. I believe it belongs to the Borden Mercantile property. I wonder if they are keeping it because of some grandfathered zoning or tax loophole. Like maybe as long as the house is there it's taxed at a residential rate. That's my best wild-ass guess.

I think if you poke around the Saanich planning office there may be an old redevelopment proposal on file.

I never see anyone leave or enter and I pass it all the time so it's unlikely to be a site office.

Edited by Holden West, 11 October 2014 - 04:17 PM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#72 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

It's the weirdest abandoned house in Victoria. I believe it belongs to the Borden Mercantile property. I wonder if they are keeping it because of some grandfathered zoning or tax loophole. Like maybe as long as the house is there it's taxed at a residential rate. That's my best wild-ass guess.

I think if you poke around the Saanich planning office there may be an old redevelopment proposal on file.

I never see anyone leave or enter and I pass it all the time so it's unlikely to be a site office.

The blue tarp that covers the leaky roof also leaks, and has done so for years.

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

Ya, that could make sense.  Back in the olden days, that was the house, and the shop behind was just accessory buildings maybe, under old zoing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#74 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

I care. There are a few long gone Dunsmuir-related houses around town that I wish were still there.

Burn5c.jpg

Burn5c.jpg

This rotting, delapidated building ( 1176 Yates ) was built by Dunsmuir as a res. for nursing staff. the city shut it down for serious violations, several years ago,  and now after all this time, the negligent owner, and the city are both guilty of inaction on this one.

Attached Images

• 035.jpg

• aastra likes this

#75 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

That would be a nice place for a large highrise condo.

Maybe it will burn down and can be rezoned.

• Nparker likes this

#76 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

lol.... i  have often wondered aboot that house.

Seems to be a car in the drive most of the time,  i havnt looked close enough to see if the car is insured / on the road or not?

The Galloping Goose / Trail system runs between that house and the Borden merc. building so i would think limited options for development. 

That portion of the trail system was rarely used many years ago but now is very heavily used.

Probably gets the award for most wondered aboot house :)

#77 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

That would be a nice place for a large highrise condo.

Maybe it will burn down and can be rezoned.

That would probably be best.

The roof became comprimised several years ago and the rain water pours in through all the levels rotting floor by floor.

Take a hazmat suit and a properly fitted respirator if you ever tour this building.

SHAME SHAME double SHAME

#78 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

I thought it might have belonged to somebody who wouldn't sell when Saanich Centre was being developed. Same with the house on Vernon across from Uncle Willy's surrounded by those townhouses. (or Crystal Jade or whatever) They're sometimes called nail houses

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 October 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#79 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

I've noticed that the the "Leland" building at Douglas and Bay is for sale. (has Popeye's on the ground floor.

Listed for $ 3.35M

#80 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

I've noticed that the the "Leland" building at Douglas and Bay is for sale. (has Popeye's on the ground floor.

Listed for $ 3.35M

Nice spot for a 25 story tower ;P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users