Endangered buildings list

• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#21 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

^ I thought a detached garage with a unit on top or around the side but that would work too, but that might maybe even better.

let's hope the soil under these ones isn't contaminated, that would be devastating:

http://www.flickr.co...157622393220914

#22 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hoping that someone can shed some light on this. I understand that one of the steps that the City of Victoria takes to implement a heritage designation on a property is to add it to a so-called "heritage watch list." Is this an actual list and how would it impact a real estate transaction?

For example, the Hallmark Society has an endangered buildings list, as noted above. Number 12 on the list is "Smaller homes in James Bay, Fairfield, Fernwood, Gonzales, etc.' I mean I know that this isn't binding by any stretch, but what would happen if a property with an urban cottage was purchased, with the hopes to move the home and in-fill it with something of larger density? What tends to happen? Do you rouse the heritage beast MechaPam who will beat you to a pulp for suggesting to move a building whose intrinsic heritage value is merely that the building is of a certain age?

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm quite certain that unless it is actually designated as heritage the owner can do whatever he wants. Councillor Madoff was upset over the demolition of the BC Telephone Company building that predated the Atrium building but since it wasn't designated the developers came in and sacked it.

Photos by Victoriaguy

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

I understand that one of the steps that the City of Victoria takes to implement a heritage designation on a property is to add it to a so-called "heritage watch list."

Yes, that's the first step. It's called the Heritage Register. City Hall drives the bus on that one--sometimes the owner is blindsided by the appearance of their building on the register. The owners of the old Royal Bank on Douglas at Pandora were dismayed as it might put a hitch in any future development plan.

how would it impact a real estate transaction?

I guess that depends. For a house it might be a bit of a status symbol. For an underutilized commercial property it might scare developers away.

For example, the Hallmark Society has an endangered buildings list

Although they have somewhat of a common goal and no doubt some cozy relationships, there's no formal connection between the HS and City Hall.

Number 12 on the list is "Smaller homes in James Bay, Fairfield, Fernwood, Gonzales, etc.

This is a bit of a disturbing trend. It appears that the HS realizes they are losing the battle house by house and have come up with a new idea--designating entire clusters of houses, streets, and/or blocks of similar architecture, in short, attempting to preserve entire neighbourhoods, even if the houses themselves are rather ordinary. It's like a fire break to fend off the bulldozers.

I mean I know that this isn't binding by any stretch,

True. The next step would be Heritage Designation, (the bronze plaque) and that requires the co-operation of the homeowner. Heritage Designation cannot be forced on your property.

but what would happen if a property with an urban cottage was purchased, with the hopes to move the home and in-fill it with something of larger density? What tends to happen?

Depends. If it was on the registry, the demolition/alteration application would be referred to Heritage Advisory Committee and/or City Council. The could say, yeah, that's not a significant building and it's badly sited so we suppose you could do as you please. However, if it's felt the building is really worth saving they can throw more wrenches into the works than you can handle. Ask Clara Kramer what happens when your demo permit runs up against a loud public movement for preservation.

Do you rouse the heritage beast MechaPam who will beat you to a pulp for suggesting to move a building whose intrinsic heritage value is merely that the building is of a certain age?

Very possible. Don't forget, this is about quality and uniqueness, not just age. Many 1960s buildings are on the heritage watch list and don't be surprised to see 1970s buildings in the near future.

Disclaimer: just my observations, I'm no expert.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

This is that building that used to sit at the Esquimalt Lagoon:

FEATURES
Looking for something massive? This is a 5500 sq. ft. multi-use heritage building, complete with 12 bedrooms and three bathrooms. The building is 80 feet long by 40 feet wide, has all new electrical, new high-grade tin roof, and features 12 ft. box-beam ceilings on the lower floor. Much of it has been divided up with false-interior removable walls and is otherwise hugely open downstairs, with either bedrooms or offices on the upper floor. It comes with a free-standing radiant heat system. It is old world construction, with 2\12 floor and ceiling joists on 16-inch centers and fir finish floors throughout. Looking for a community hall or church building? Your prayers have been answered! Call for info.

http://www.nickelbros.com/131232.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

Please no more bickering!

Thank you.

#27 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

This Building on Store St is going to be torn down on Dec 1.
The building is used as Kayak Storage for Ocean River Sports as well as a cabinet making shop.
Capital Iron is goping to be building a warehouse on the dock/ parking area being their current store. This buidling needs to go to make room for the construction as well as so that the FD has better access to the back lot.

The cabinet shop is currently liquidating all of its wood working equipment and it all appears to be quality stuff. Drop by and see the guy if you need anything from nuts and bolts and wood screws to most power tools one could think of.

Interesting building and I have never noticed it

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

^^ Thanks for the heads up on Richard the guy with all the tools. He has a lot of stuff left to sell and his prices are reasonable. (Scotch and beer are as good as cash....if not better.)

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

This discussion on Ian's Coffee Shop/Turner's Building has been moved here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

One of Robin Kimpton's infamous properties and the former home of accused Legislature bombing plotter John Nuttall is for sale.

ba77e2e29716b9de829ef1393a07ba6f.jpeg

f2f81deb6086b6ff4b90b7eaea4cfa0a.jpeg

http://sharonhoffman...etails-35590268

• D.L. likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Cook and Empress - Corner Land Assembly for sale - offered at $2,000,000

Three city lots. 1111 Empress is 6324 ft2. 1121 Empress is 8668 ft2. 2321 Cook is 6361 ft2. A total of 21,353 ft2 buildable approximate.

If you look at the pictures, it is the four plex at 1111 Empress which you see. It is the property behind which you see some of the roof line of at 2321Cook Street and it is a house on a large lot to the left of the pictured fourplex (out of view). The two which face onto Cook have apartment zoning. The house to the left on Empress would require re zoning. Discussion sometime ago with the City of Victoria envisioned some 40 small units on 2321 Cook and 1111 Empress. The package now includes the larger assembly with 1121 Empress.

http://victoria.en.c...4298249731.html

• Holden West likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#32 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

I've heard the city has ordered the owner of 2321 Cook St. to demolish the building within 60 days.

https://www.google.c...hjOxgtjvB6Br0xw

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#33 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

^ Finally. Hopefully the demo team accidentally takes out the building just north of it as well and something of substance can go up along here.

• tedward and jonny like this

#34 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Thank goodness.

#35 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

What is the process for getting such a building demolished? Is there a period of time that has to pass before the building can be declared abandoned or does it have to degrade beyond a salvageable state? I ask because there's that multi-unit building on Rockland Ave in between Cook St and Linden Ave that was destroyed by fire last year. It's an eyesore. Crews came for a month and started doing work, but they stopped before winter. The upper windows were left open all winter/spring/summer (the doors and lower windows are boarded up). There's a fence around the property, but I know people are squatting there.

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

I've heard the city has ordered the owner of 2321 Cook St. to demolish the building within 60 days.

https://www.google.c...hjOxgtjvB6Br0xw

Let's get on with the Turner building eyesore as well.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

The sign still looks good

IMG_4363.jpg

Not so much the building

IMG_4359.jpg

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:30 AM

Westbank continues to flip us a middle finger after all these years. Good work, city council. You sure saved the day.

Know it all.

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

But now we have an opportunity to add some much-needed green space.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

But now we have an opportunity to add some much-needed green space.

This comment needs a sarcasm symbol.  :squint:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users