Photo
- - - - -

Tudor House Pub | Esquimalt (destroyed in 2013)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

I don't think Rsquimalt is shady. I lived there for a few years, twice.

But it's no destination and likely never will be. For example it has no restaurants to speak of. It has no shops.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 July 2017 - 09:05 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Sure it does. It's home base for that popular Mexican restaurant that has just expanded to the Rathskeller space, it has a popular (and amazing) sushi restaurant, the Gorge Point Pub, the restaurant at the marina, a Thai place, La Belle Patate eatery, etc. Oak Bay has the marina and that's about it (other than Village and Blethering Place [or whatever it's now called]). Both OB and Esquimalt now have Red Barn Markets.

Where Esquimalt fails is its strip is stuck in the 1960's. Once it breaks free from that (and it's already happening) it'll be viewed in a very different light.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

And once the town centre development is completed that will add high-end retail to the strip, plus what is quite likely to be a pub/restaurant/brewery.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

...I think Esquimalt is tired of mediocrity...

If that is true, then the local government should not stand in the way of significant density increases to make the rest of this site, and many other "downtown Esquimalt" locations, more attractive as an alternative for contemporary urban living. 4-storey wood frame apartments and tacky, 1960's style strip malls are not the way to take E-town out of its less-than-auspicious past.

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

The restaurant at the marina closed. And Gorge Pub I think is not really considered in the heart of Esquimalt.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

I don't think Esquimalt is shady. I lived there for a few years, twice.

Hmmm...so is it less shady now than when you lived there? I don't want to suggest there is a correlation, but... :P

#87 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

The Thai place in Esquimalt has been sold, rebranded and is being remodeled.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 21 July 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

OB does not have a Red Barn.

OB also has the hotel and restaurant and pub and the pub in the village plus the Vis a Vis restaurant.

Esquimalt lost its only kinda OK pub. Its other one is a dump and w can probably never slake that image.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Oh yeah, it's still in CoV.

But the GP Pub is no more/no less out of the main centre than Oak Bay Marina.

There's also the Green Leaf or Green something restaurant on Craigflower. They're all holes in the walls but they're pretty popular eateries.

Know it all.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

I think you might consider GP not really in esq since most access itvfrom the north ie Saanich and or via Victoria. Unlike OBM that you have to get at via lots of Oak Bay.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Which makes it even more accessible than OB Marina, no?

The Tillicum stretch will also see many changes over the next decade. Houses are being bought up to one day tear down and build multi-unit dwellings.

Know it all.

#92 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

OB does not have a Red Barn.

There is a Red Barn two blocks away from Oak Bay, corner of Redfern and Oak Bay Ave.

#93 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

How about we amalgamate to end this argument once and for all...

• Nparker and tedward like this

#94 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Don't forget Padella in Oak Bay!

Matt.

#95 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

And Blighty's Bistro.
  • Matt R. likes this

#96 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

Once it breaks free from that (and it's already happening) it'll be viewed in a very different light.

Agreed. Areas can change drastically – let me remind everyone that we're talking about 10+ storey highrises popping up on Langford's main strip, it goes to show that with a little will, effort and a thriving economy, that it doesn't take as long as you might think to change areas in significant ways.

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

Agreed. Areas can change drastically – let me remind everyone that we're talking about 10+ storey highrises popping up on Langford's main strip, it goes to show that with a little will, effort and a thriving economy, that it doesn't take as long as you might think to change areas in significant ways.

How long has Quadra Village been, well, Quadra Village?  I don't think changes comes that quick.

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Quadra Village is like #20 on the list of priorities for developers in Victoria. But the Esquimalt strip is priority #1 for developers in Esquimalt.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#99 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

Esquimalt lost its only kinda OK pub. Its other one is a dump and w can probably never slake that image.

Isn't the Legion still there?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

Yup. It was to have been redeveloped but that idea has fizzled after a disagreement.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users