• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Peace, Love, and Anger.

For those of you that missed Woodstock, or haven’t yet made it to Burning Man, there is a gathering taking place at Raft Cove Park on the northwest coast of Vancouver Island. Everyone is invited as long as you love the earth and each other. The gathering is planned from August 6th until September 6th with the highlight of the event on the full moon. The members communicate via a Facebook page. Wikipedia offers some insight into the gatherings here.http://en.wikipedia....inbow_Gathering

The World Gathering of the Rainbow Family was originally planned to take place this year in the Kootenays, but a fire ban and perhaps some local discontent made for a last minute change of venue. There is however some major discontent brewing amongst locals about the use of this park for the number of campers that could show up for the event (it is rumoured that 1,800 have confirmed their attendance). It would appear that the locals that use this park would prefer to have this group go elsewhere, perhaps anywhere but here.

Raft Cove Park is located an hour and a half drive north of Holberg, a very small community of 200 residents with limited facilities located on the coast and is only accessible by active logging roads. The closest that a vehicle can get to the park is approximately two kilometers. The hiking trail leading to the beach is narrow and challenging in places.
Some locals have established a protest Facebook page here https://www.facebook...272461/?fref=ts EDIT: It would appear that this Facebook page has been removed.

There is a question here as to “how many is too many” that can enjoy one of our provincial parks. Is this a case of NIMBYism, or is there a valid concern regarding environmental protection. Who decides? The Parks Department is monitoring the activities so far, but it’s early yet and has just begun. The Parks Department is not ruling out closing the park.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yes, I read the TC article and was sort of of two minds.

I'm all for grass-roots ad-hoc get-togethers, we already have too much "organization" at so many events.

Like, for example, the Moss St. Paint In. If I decided to slowly walk the length of Moss St. today, I don't expect to find port-potties at every corner. Instead I plan ahead. But at the paint-in, they are there. Necessary?

But I did look at the shear numbers expected at this event. If they really do get 2,000, that's quite a crowd for a place that only has 2 pit toilets. There are 1440 minutes in a 24-hour day. 960 in say, a 8am to 12pm "waking" portion of the day. So each person has less than 1 minute per day to use the toilet. That doesn't seem workable.

The place has no cell reception. I don't know, if twenty people are using the park, and one has a medical emergency with no cell service, or 2,000 are using it and 3 people have a problem, who is worse off? I think the former.

And I note that this is to be a drug-free, alcohol free event. Sure, not all will follow those rules, but many or most will.

Lastly, these are supposed to be earth-loving folks, I'd expect them to do a better clean-up than a grad camp-out.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

Globe and Mail, yesterday:

http://www.theglobea...rticle13679720/

After Ms. Wickstrom raised concerns about the Raft Cove gathering on social media, word spread rapidly and residents of Port McNeill and Port Hardy became outraged that the beach’s environment would be trampled.

“Currently there’s about 200 people out there,” said Ms. Wickstrom. “They’ve already started clearing some salal [small shrubs] and digging a latrine. They have a kitchen set up, and have reportedly had bonfires.”

I guess there is some reason to be concerned that some of these people might not know how remote this area is, in terms of distance to services (food and fresh water). 2,000 people trying to collect rain water or collecting by "survival" means would be pretty tough. I'm guessing the numbers won't be all that high.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

From a TC editorial:

In the U.S., as many as 20,000 people attend their annual event in the first week of July. World gatherings like the one on the Island are longer, lasting from new moon to new moon.

They get mixed reviews from neighbours and officialdom. About 10 years ago, piles of garbage and human waste were left at Keeha Beach near Bamfield after one gathering. But after national gatherings in Utah and Montana, officials said almost no trace was visible when the thousands of campers left.

Although they have no leaders, the family has developed detailed rules to ensure everyone stays healthy and leaves the wilderness as they found it.

http://www.timescolo...-scott-1.573430

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

Ah, a concise report from a camper on site:

news from CAMP we are working with parks to make this happen we will no more soon as parks gets back to us the land is delicate and we do not wish to disturb any body or the land we are working with parks on a plan too make this work as soon as possible when CBC and other lied and said we have 2000 folks hear we have less then 100 right now and are not expecting a huge turn out as the koot did not work we will no more tomorrow butt locals are freaking they think lots of folks are coming and we really cant see that happening .we hare making arrangements with parks so we can haul out are poo so the site does not get damaged and we are not camping in the woods just the beach as I said this site is sensitive so respect is a must we will fill in more when I no more after circle tonight . this is for sure garbage will be hauled out daily and no camping in the woods in the delicate spot only on beach and no poo touches this beach ever as the locals surf hear and the forest water drains into the surf ... pleas let folk no if your coming to raft cove we this must be the cleanest gathering in history and pleas bring toilet paper as we must use buckets to keep locals happy pleas bring fresh food only to limit garbage please s repost this on other pages as I have no time and must go back love you all ps the vibe is awesome

#6 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

Ugh, no good can come from a group so illiterate.

#7 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Ugh, no good can come from a group so illiterate.

Sounds like some of the "Idle no More" dreamers that I met around city hall are migrating north.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Considering that message was submitted via telegram (there's no cell reception out there, remember), I'd say he or she did a bang up job as did the local interpreter.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

They just want to gather and enjoy the land. Why not leave them alone, as long as they are considerate to the neighbours and the land.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#10 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

They just want to gather and enjoy the land. Why not leave them alone, as long as they are considerate to the neighbours and the land.

The point is they are neither considerate of the land nor of the neighbours. Do you really think that 2,000 +/- people can "camp out" in such a remote,small, and prisitne location with no amenities and not have an adverse effect on everything and everybody around them?

Check with any of the cities that suffered through the Idle no More gatherings and see what their clean up costs,, both physically and financially were. And those were held where people were held reasonably accountable and had access to transportation, sanitary facilities, food, shelter and the like. Or if you don't believe the costs the City might provide then check with anyone who has organized an outdoor Music festival or the like that attracts large crowds to a small area. You will be astounded at the obvious and the hidden costs of events like this. Lets not get too dreamy eyed here.

#11 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

I just find it hilarious that an island of "hippies" is being all NIMBY to a bunch of hippies.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I just find it hilarious that an island of "hippies" is being all NIMBY to a bunch of hippies.

Just beacsue its in our back yard we are supposed to be Ok with it or be seen as someone who opposes anything and everything? On the contrary I would expect that any thinking person who values our pristine lands here on the Island would be appalled at the havoc that this will create.

Lable me as a NIMBY if you lke but I and thousands of others protest every year in tnis province over assualts on our enviroment and this is just one more (albeit couched in cradle of Peace, Love & Harmony)

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

It's certainly an interesting clash isn't it.

#14 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

VV roadtrip?

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Just beacsue its in our back yard we are supposed to be Ok with it or be seen as someone who opposes anything and everything? On the contrary I would expect that any thinking person who values our pristine lands here on the Island would be appalled at the havoc that this will create.

Lable me as a NIMBY if you lke but I and thousands of others protest every year in tnis province over assualts on our enviroment and this is just one more (albeit couched in cradle of Peace, Love & Harmony)

Just a general observation... no need to take it a personal level.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Does this have anything to do with those whirled peas I keep hearing about?

#17 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Just a general observation... no need to take it a personal level.

Sorry. Not trying to sound too personally outraged but it baffles me how people think that 2000 +/- people in such a pristine,remote and unsupervised location with no facilites of any kind can be anything but destructive.

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

whatever, s*** grows back

#19 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

whatever, s*** grows back

Really? That's your answer? Well thought out and well articulated. You are to be commended for your insight and vision on the matter.

#20 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

From what I've heard I don't think you're going to be looking at 2000 people there at once, it's spread out over a month after all.
And the news keeps quoting 1800, which is just the number of people who said 'attending' on the Facebook page. So if that's like other Facebook events in my experience (WHY DOES NOBODY COME TO MY PARTIES??) it'll mean about 180 people.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users