Storm Water Utility Tax

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm glad I don't live in Victoria.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

This proposal falls under the category of " If they can't think of anything smart to do......they are bound to think of something stupid."

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

^ Good point on the rain barrels. Would be good if there was some sort of deal if you used them.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

where's the STOP A BAD PLAN guy when you need him....

#25 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

I see as much of this as anything around town.

Are you sure older homes have any connection between downspouts and the storm or sanitary pipes?

Well, that's the theory anyway! Although I do see people just letting the downspouts pour onto the ground when their old clay drains collapse and they can't afford to fix it. And then they wonder when their basement floods.

#26 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

So what if you have a rain barrel and catch most/all your water to use in the garden? Or if you have a living roof with grasses, and little plants on say your garage?

They do say they might offer discounts for such strategies.

#27 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

They say they will have "credits" for such things. Sounds like even more administration. How much will it cost just to define the parameters and application process? At least our unemployment rate will be going down from this.

#28 Ken Johnson

Ken Johnson
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

The City of Victoria currently has a storm drain system separate from the sanitary sewer system. For most homes built after WWII, the systems are completely separate, although there are some houses which were not inspected and may still hook up to the sanitary system. The City frequently tests to eliminate the offenders.

In some areas, for example the storm drain outfall into Rock Bay, the City has constructed a large holding tank to try and separate dangerous materials from entering the ocean. The most environmentally damaging material in our storm water is the run-off from streets and gardens.

From the streets, which are made of asphalt, we get oil; both from automobiles and from the slow but steady deterioration of the asphalt surfaces. From the gardens, and then into the perimeter drainage systems around our homes which lead to the storm drain system, we get the usual pesticides residues.

In the surrounding municipalities, the storm drainage system may lead to local streams or lakes. The contaminants can lead to reduced aquatic life including insects, frogs, birds, and fish.

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

In the lower mainland rules changed from time to time, in the last 30 years. At one point it was mandatory that you connect to the storm drains, then they changed it, all new construction had to disperse their own water on their own property, then they changed it back to storm drains again.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users