[James Bay] Oswego timeshare / hotel | 10-storeys | Built - completed in 2007

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

Their [url=http://www.oswegovictoria.com:318d6]website[/url:318d6] lists no address!

After much searching I see it is actually 324 Kingston St.

Compare the original rendering:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

Wow!
I'd say that's a rare time that the real thing looks much better than the rendering!

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:58 AM

The final building usually looks better than the renderings. Other recent examples include Astoria, Parc Residences (nice model, not-quite-so-nice renderings), the Marriott, Corazon, City Place, the Wave, the Reef (which looked very good in the rendering but nevertheless looks a bit different/better in real life)...

Then again, many of these projects had such crude renderings that it probably shouldn't come as a surprise.

The city needs to obligate developers to provide photorealistic renderings (good example: the Juliet) and detailed & accurate models (good examples: the Juliet, the Falls or the new Bay rehab).

#44 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

It been so long since construction on this one began. It was odd to actually experience it "alive".
It's bittersweet for me. This is a nice building, but sadly it will be mostly rich, non-Victorians enjoying it for short stints at a time.
I don't want to see too many more of these types of developments in future.
It's time for some rentals apartments for the citizens of this city.

/agree!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

Here's a photo of Oswego at the same angle as the rendering (photo is altered to make the building look fat). The window stagering is different, but at least the finished product has the nice stone around the ground floor walls rather than the painted concrete the rendering shows.

_____

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

This one gets 7.5/10. Five - eight floors higher and I would have given it an 8.5. As it is, it is precariously close to "fatscraper-ness". It should have been TALLER rather than shorter than the Harbour Towers (btw how can one building be called "towers"?). Unlike Swallows Landing, in this case I like the dark red brick and stone combination. The interior looks pretty decent too.

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:56 PM

SLEEPOVER: VICTORIA HOTEL NOT QUITE READY FOR ITS CLOSE-UP
The promise is there

IAN BAILEY
Globe and Mail[/url:d6828]
August 15, 2007

THE OSWEGO HOTEL

500 Oswego St., Victoria, V8V 5C1; [url="http://www.oswegovictoria.com;"]http://www.oswegovictoria.com; 1-877-7OSWEGO (767-9346)

ROOM RATES

Summer studio suites from $220, one bedroom from $300, and two bedrooms from $380

I would stay at the Oswego Hotel again. I would even make a reservation with enthusiasm, which is a strange thing to write after a first visit to the boutique hotel, newly opened in Victoria's pleasant James Bay neighbourhood.

At first glance, the 10-storey building looks like the kind of condo that draws swooning lineups of would-be buyers, eager for a place in its slick, composed lines.

Yet, on our visit, the Oswego wasn't yet a fully realized hotel but rather a work-in-progress.

We arrived just ahead of the staff because they had just been hired.

There were no curtains in the living room - which was a plus, in a way: Without curtains, it was easier to see the Olympic Mountains across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Brown sheets of paper had been taped over the bedroom windows in place of drapes or blinds. And on our floor, each room still had a floor plan taped on the wall outside.

The underground parking lot was filled with dozens of unpacked boxes of furniture.

Luckily, the enthusiastic staff took the edge off things by being honest about the improvised state of affairs. Also, this is a hotel with a lot of promise.

LOCATION The Oswego is a five-minute walk to the B.C. legislature, which may make it a popular home away from home for members of the assembly or civil servants on temporary assignments. But the location is also a plus for non-political visitors because it's easy to get to some of the most popular things to do in central Victoria.

AMBIENCE The lobby is busy but it never feels crowded. The modest front desk closely orbits the tables and chairs of a pleasant dining area, which is not far from the well-stocked bar. On our visit, the bar's counter did double duty at breakfast and dinner. It adds up to many roles for one space, but it has all been shrewdly designed to avoid clutter. There is an impressive yet casual dignity to the lobby, created in part by the exposed stone walls and dark wood floors.

CLIENTELE It seemed to be a mix of older and middle-aged visitors with twentysomethings taking advantage of the low prices of a get-acquainted deal.

ROOMS Comfortable for an overnight stay, but also designed to be memorable for a longer stay. There was an emphasis on subtle, functional luxury in the plus-sized bathroom, with its generous counter area, a tub and a glassed-in shower. You could also get used to the luxury of the flat-screen TVs in both the living room and the bedroom - though despite the efforts of an earnest staffer, one of them never did work very well.

SERVICE Points for cheer and enthusiasm. More points for patience while dealing with the various glitches of a hotel that really should have turned away visitors for a few more days until all was securely in place.

FOOD AND DRINK Promotional material for the Oswego promised a "unique tapas menu" with such dishes as salmon with caramelized ginger and spicy Napa cabbage. But on our visit, the menu was a bit more basic - though, to be fair, satisfying. Breakfast was a continental buffet of croissants, muffins and tea. Dinner included slices of ham, cheddar cheese, garlic bread and chips. There are other restaurants within walking distance.

THINGS TO DO

The Oswego is a terrific base for exploring the best tourist sites of downtown Victoria.

The B.C. legislature is nearby and well worth a look. It's quiet through to the new session in October, but tours are available.

Go south a few blocks and there's Emily Carr House, the original home of the painter, who was born there in 1871. The house now stands as a vivid, intimate museum that depicts various aspects of Carr's life and art.

Go north and there are the varied shops of Government Street, just past the Empress Hotel. Don't leave town without visiting Munro's Books, arguably one of Canada's most charming bookstores. There are thousands of titles in a memorable setting: a 1900-era Royal Bank of Canada branch. The store's current incarnation continues a bookselling tradition launched in 1963 by Jim Munro and his then wife, Alice - "yes, that Alice Munro," says the store's website.

A bit farther north to 28 Bastian Square and there's the Maritime Museum of B.C., housed in an 1880s-era former provincial courthouse.

Hotel vitals

TOP DRAWS

The Owego is an attractive building with stylish, well-equipped rooms, and the lobby is a relaxing place to start the day or finish it. This will be an especially comfortable place for medium to long stays.

NEEDS WORK

The workout room seemed a bit sparse. The bikes, elliptical trainer and other items seemed a bit rickety and shaky, but maybe that is just a sign that I need to lose weight and spend more time in exercise rooms.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

The view from Harbour Towers by penmachine at Flickr.com. From this angle you'd probably never guess how new the Oswego is. I really think Victoria needs to set some rules down re: big blank walls on new buildings:

http://www.flickr.co...ine/1461386401/

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

The Globe recently ran a piece about the Oswego, this time more positive than the last (displayed a few posts above). And check out the difference in room rates between then and now:
Aug 2007: Summer studio suites from $220, one bedroom from $300, and two bedrooms from $380
Sept 2009: 21 studios from $139; 44 one-bedroom suites from $199; 15 two-bedroom suites from $299.

Sleepover Victoria: Between the city and deep B.C.
Sarah MacWhirter, The Globe and Mail
Oct. 29, 2009
http://www.theglobea...article1310030/

Some quotes:

With big balconies – no need for screens in basically bug-free Victoria – and floor-to-ceiling flanked patio doors in both the living and sleeping areas, the fresh air and inviting sounds of the ocean pour in to greet a weary traveller.

Inviting sounds of which ocean, exactly? You can't hear the ocean itself from the hotel. Perhaps the writer means she can hear ocean vessels coming and going?

The rooms are equipped with fans – no air conditioning – though management is considering introducing some kind of environmentally friendly cooling system to meet guests' expectations. In seasonable Victoria, though, that expectation is more of norm than need.

Why do hotels in every tiny town in the US offer A/C, but in Victoria major properties still can't get over the fact that A/C isn't just for cooling in hot climates, but cooling a room when outside noise becomes distracting and a patron wishes to close all windows?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

Inviting sounds of which ocean, exactly? You can't hear the ocean itself from the hotel. Perhaps the writer means she can hear ocean vessels coming and going?

See now I have to disagree. When you are from here it becomes background. I've had people from the interior tell me that the noise of the ocean is audible to them much further away than you'd think.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

^ ^ Ya, the A/C thing doesn't seem like a bad idea when you are building brand new. Why not? It's an electric thing that sits in the wall and requires no plumbing or anything. Ya, they have to be serviced occasionally, but I'd think with little use comes much less maintenance than in Arizona.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

See now I have to disagree. When you are from here it becomes background. I've had people from the interior tell me that the noise of the ocean is audible to them much further away than you'd think.

Absolutely, but do you think its in the Oswego area of James Bay?

I can hear the ocean from far away when hiking East Sooke park but that's because it's much rougher out there then along the relatively sheltered shoreline of James Bay.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

They'll hear the foghorns.

#54 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

It depends on the direction of the wind etc. but when I lived (in a one storey house) in the 200 block of Ontario St there were nights when we could hear the ocean. I could hardly believe it when it happened...
Pieta VanDyke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users