Victoria Kitchen Scraps Collection.. and its failure

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#81 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

^ If it was insurance and not the tax it might make sense.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

Come again?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

Well OT but was just saying I would love to pay less insurance because I drive less than someone commuting to work everyday.

It has a whole new look!

#84 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Well OT but was just saying I would love to pay less insurance because I drive less than someone commuting to work everyday.

^ You do. It is called "pleasure use only" and costs a lot less than vehicles insured for daily commuting.

• Matt R. likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#85 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

It's OK to go OT if we preface our posts with "OT", right? ;p

Mileage based insurance isn't necessarily accurate either.  You can have professional drivers who rack up hundreds of thousands of miles of driving never get into a crash, then the local "Sunday driver" who is constantly running yellow lights while texting. 

Distance based taxation milks the middle working class.  The garbage fines will also penalize them.  Perhaps not as much, but it's still a tax on the middle class. 

I can't say I'm completely opposed to our region's kitchen scraps initiative, but it's one more hassle for homeowners to put up with and one more expense.  

What's the municipality in the LMND that now requires dog owners to flush their pet waste?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#86 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

Only if you don't use your car for work within some crazy guidelines. I do occasionally so have to have full insurance.

It has a whole new look!

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Only if you don't use your car for work within some crazy guidelines. I do occasionally so have to have full insurance.

Pleasure use allows up to 6 days per month for driving to and from work. 

Cheaper than full commuter insurance.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

Within 15 kilometres I believe. I drive to the airport on business.

It has a whole new look!

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

^ You do. It is called "pleasure use only" and costs a lot less than vehicles insured for daily commuting.

Exactly.

And you pay gas taxes as well. This additional "commuter tax" is nothing but a cash grab and will impact those who can't afford it the most. And trust me, it's coming to a city near you eventually.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

I recently upgraded my insurance from pleasure use to community within 10kms and the increase was less than $100.

#91 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

I see the CRD is going to give it anther go on finding someone local to process kitchen scraps.

http://www2.crd.bc.c...essing-facility

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

Well, that's good I guess.  Surely it can be done somehow.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

More good news!

CRD has firm date for kitchen scrap ban

Starting on Jan. 1, the Capital Regional District will be banning kitchen scraps from all garbage pickup, which means most of the West Shore is going to have to arrange their own disposal of organic waste.

Residents of Langford, Colwood, Metchosin and Highlands are all currently responsible for paying for private garbage pickup.  They will have to decide whether they want to compost their scraps in their yards, feed the garburator (an option strongly discouraged by the CRD) or pay their current contractors extra for roadside pickup.

“It’s a pretty reasonable cost to do it right now,” says Langford Mayor Stew Young. He thinks about 50 to 60 per cent of Langford residents will likely sign up for the bin, though he emphasized that backyard composting or garburating are cheaper.

Full storey:http://www.goldstrea.../284561371.html

I'm curious as to how they plan to enforce this. Will the garbage man be ripping open my garbage bags to view its contents? I think not.

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

...I'm curious as to how they plan to enforce this. Will the garbage man be ripping open my garbage bags to view its contents? I think not.

No one tears mine open and I assure you there are plenty of kitchen scraps in them.

#95 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

I'm curious as to how they plan to enforce this. Will the garbage man be ripping open my garbage bags to view its contents? I think not.

It is the contractor/municipality who incurs the extra cost of their loads are full of compostables (or recyclables), so they will be ones chatting with residents, not the CRD directly (afaik).

#96 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

I will choose garburator officially, and continue to put it in the general garbage pickup.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#97 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

Tomorrow is the first garbage pickup in my neighborhood in colwood since the CRD ban. In Colwood you arrange for your own pickup. None of my neighbors have bins. What will they do if compliance is next to nothing? I know it's the companies doing the pickups who get fined and I know the enforcement doesn't start until April anyway but seriously what will they do if no one complies in the west shore? I know my pickup company will use the same truck and just put it all in one anyway too so there's that as well.

#98 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:45 PM

Our strata invoice for January garbage disposal went up over 25% compared with December's.

#99 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

Tomorrow is the first garbage pickup in my neighborhood in colwood since the CRD ban. In Colwood you arrange for your own pickup. None of my neighbors have bins. What will they do if compliance is next to nothing? I know it's the companies doing the pickups who get fined and I know the enforcement doesn't start until April anyway but seriously what will they do if no one complies in the west shore?

Then the hauling company (or municipality will be fined by Hartland.

Also, I know that Alpine bought split trucks just like the core municipalities did.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

Our strata invoice for January garbage disposal went up over 25% compared with December's.

You don't have a fixed price?  Or how do they calculate the charge?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users