Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#41 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

Buskers flopped, Pumpkin Art flopped, Kite festival? Chalk Art? Boat Show is relocating to Sidney but I think thats a GVHA issue, I wonder what the financial impact to the City was for these flops that took years to establish and were wiped out overnight?

• David Bratzer likes this

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

Right, the ComicCon issue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

Today:

More than a year later, a police investigation into 'irregularities' in the Downtown Penticton Association's financial statements is still going on, the DPA confirmed to Castanet.

DPA staff hired a forensic auditor to confirm the irregularities when they were discovered last year. The auditor confirmed the irregularities, reporting that they ended on Jul. 31, 2016.

The DPA announced earlier this year that an investigation into their finances was taking place, and that the file was handed over to the RCMP.

"We assure DPA members that none of our current services, programs or finances are affected," executive director Lynn Allin said at the time. 

The association represents downtown Penticton and events in the area, and has about 600 members.

Kerri Milton, the DPA's former executive director who left around the time when the irregularities reportedly ended, called the news "very disappointing" earlier this year. She said an outside bookkeeper and payroll firm kept staff at an arms-length from money.

She recently left her executive director post at the Downtown Victoria Business Association, but remains in Victoria. 

https://www.castanet...ion-still-going

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 December 2017 - 06:48 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 CrazyEvilCat

CrazyEvilCat
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Right, the ComicCon issue.

Wait, what kind of ComicCon issues? I'm a bit worried since my girlfriend want to buy tickets for next year's ComicCon, and I was wondering if you heard rumours about issues. 

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

Wait, what kind of ComicCon issues? I'm a bit worried since my girlfriend want to buy tickets for next year's ComicCon, and I was wondering if you heard rumours about issues. 

Oh yeah, you'll be fine.

The narrative is that it has something to do with the hiring of an individual. It won't affect the actual event.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

No worries there, the event is moving forward full speed.  Well, sort of full speed.  They might have got a few more celebs lined up by now, to sell some tickets over Christmas.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

Oh yeah, you'll be fine.

The narrative is that it has something to do with the hiring of an individual. It won't affect the actual event.

I don't think that hiring your buddies gets anyone fired in a small town. 

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

I don't think that hiring your buddies gets anyone fired in a small town. 

Sleeping with them and becoming pregnant by them might draw unfavourable attention.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 December 2017 - 08:40 AM.

• Matt R. and CrazyEvilCat like this

#49 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

Sleeping with them and becoming pregnant by them might draw unfavourable attention.

Might explain the court action between folks but I still don't think that it would be enough to actually get anyone popular fired in Victoria. Heck they let her stay on despite Penticton.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

That’s unlikely why she was fired.

Sometimes firings occur due to optics and not any wrongdoing.

Know it all.

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

That’s unlikely why she was fired.

Sometimes firings occur due to optics and not any wrongdoing.

I certainly agree (if VHF's comments are true) that having sex with a subordinate or someone that you have influence over (ie consultant) is an abuse of authority and in today's world actions far less severe than that would get you fired .... if you are a man.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

Interesting point.

Now the relationship info we heard from someone who has a pretty good grasp on things. This wasn't just some kid working for ComiCon.

Know it all.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

Jeff Bray has been named interim head.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

There's a name we haven't heard for a while.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

It took me a long time to think where I knew it from.

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

The 2001 Provincial election should have been an easy win for Carole James in Victoria/Beacon Hill, but a strong showing from the Green Party split the vote and Jeff Bray running for the Liberals squeaked out a victory with a margin of only a few dozen votes. I think he was considered a low-key, likable policy wonk.

He founded a lobbying firm: http://www.capitalpu...fairs.ca/about/

I have no doubt Bray will be an effective manager. I don't know if he has the dynamic enthusiasm and imagination of someone like Ken Kelley.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

It's very clear he's only interim, they have a pro search team looking for the next one.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 December 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

Yes, I should have noted that. The person must have a passion for Downtown so it's always a struggle to choose between outside expertise and local knowledge. I'm curious, this Penticton woman, did she even live in the City of Victoria?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

Yes, I should have noted that. The person must have a passion for Downtown so it's always a struggle to choose between outside expertise and local knowledge. I'm curious, this Penticton woman, did she even live in the City of Victoria?

No, she lived in Langford.  Remember, she was the first user of the Mayfair park-and-ride.

• Rob Randall likes this

#60 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

It's very clear he's only interim, they have a pro search team looking for the next one.

Next job for Landslide Lisa? 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users