Photo

Steamship Grill & Taphouse | Victoria | Belleville St.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Facebook page: https://www.facebook...eamshiptaphouse
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Crap, I've been meaning to post about this weeks ago when I heard about it, but life got in the way. Apparently, it will be owned and operated by the group behind Vancouver's Romers Burger Bars. If so, I'm looking forward to another tasty burger option near the legislative precinct!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

Crap, I've been meaning to post about this weeks ago when I heard about it, but life got in the way. Apparently, it will be owned and operated by the group behind Vancouver's Romers Burger Bars. If so, I'm looking forward to another tasty burger option near the legislative precinct!

Yup. It was announced back in January, but I don't think it had a name back then.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

If so, I'm looking forward to another tasty burger option near the legislative precinct!

good to know

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

The Steamship Tap House is scheduled to open in the first week of December.

Some of the tables will have a delightful view.

CPR View.JPG

CPR Building.JPG

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Sparky posted this photo in the CPR Terminal thread. I figured I'd reproduce here as well :)

post-1147-0-25049700-1386216200.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Where is the review, gentlemen?

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

As soon as I get home and upload the pictures. It was great.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Here is a teaser for you. My first direct upload from my phone. Story to follow soon.

I.JPG

• Bingo likes this

#10 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Uh oh, that's a very high plate to food ratio which generally corresponds with a very high price to food ratio as well.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

clipular.png

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

A wee bit pricey...$20 for fish & chips?

Edited by Nparker, 09 December 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

Mike and I were cordially invited to one of the pre-opening dinners last night by the general manager Steve Baert and Shona, also a manager. Our superb waiter goes by the handle "RJ".

The ambiance is definitely upscale early last century. The room had a sense of what that building must have been like for the early ocean going passenger.

E.JPG

I showed you a picture of the harbor view a few posts ago from a window seat. It is even more striking at night, but my camera and the window didn't get along that well. The bar had about a dozen or so seats to accommodate a thirsty traveler. I hear the Blood Orange Ice Tea is a delightful quencher. Here is a glimpse taken from our table.

C.JPG

The kitchen reminded me of a ship or train galley just on the other side of the fireplace lounge.

A.JPG

RJ brought us crab cakes to start the meal off.

B.JPG

VHF showed you the menu, it is quite varied. They will also have daily specials when they get into full swing. Here is a sample drawn up on a miniature blackboard style sandwich board.

D.JPG

You have already seen the salmon plate. It is bigger than it looks. We had an apple pie dish and a caramel chocolate dish served in a mason jar for desert.

H.JPG

The restaurant is on the high end side but still casual at the same time. The background music was of a big band sound. It is a unique style of eatery that we enjoyed thoroughly. One of the purposes of having a pre-opening was to iron out their procedures and to work on perfecting the meal presentations. The staff were great and they appeared to have been doing this for years. 

Thanks to all of the steamship crew for the opportunity to sample your wares.

• Mike K. likes this

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Looks like a competitor for Nautical Nellies rather than the harbourside fish n chip places. Just missing any lobster dishes (maybe as they are sticking to a west coast menu). Should do well.

20 bucks for fish and chips is not far off if that includes 2 larger pieces of Halibut. Even the harbourside places are ~$16 for that!

#15 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'll check them out, wish them the best. But my first thought is it is another tourist trap like warfside.  I counted 6 beer taps, doesnt seem like a tap house???

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#16 tbracken

tbracken
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

Definitely agree with OSJ, not a taphouse at all, not even close basedon qty and even the food menu.  Any idea what is pouring from the taps?  And where are the burgers I've heard about, do they exist?

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Any idea what is pouring from the taps?  And where are the burgers I've heard about, do they exist?

Nothing yet, they are not open until they get their liquor license.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

They are starting off with dinner service only. Brunch and lunch will follow. An outside waterfront patio will also follow, that's what I am looking forward to. 

I can't remember if I saw a burger on one of the dinner menus or not. I don't think so. I will drop them a note and get them to chime in here.  

#19 zxnzen

zxnzen
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

From memory when I asked while making a reservation earlier, their beer selection is currently:

Driftwood:  Fat Tug, Crooked Coast
Hoyne: Dark Matter + 1 more (Off the Grid, I think).

Parallel 49:  Gypsy Tears 

and one from Russell Brewing.

Not bad, not bad.  We'll see how it actually goes, though, when I dine there.  :)

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Looks pretty sterile in there.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users