Photo

Steamship Grill & Taphouse | Victoria | Belleville St.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

^ Yeah, is that lighting what they are going with?  I walked by the other day, and from the outside I thought that gas-station fluorescent is not what I was looking for in a restaurant.  

#22 zxnzen

zxnzen
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Food was above average but not great by Victoria standards -- no real risks taken there, aside from desserts (apple + cheddar cheese 'gillette' (waffle) was delicious), so if you're looking for unique flavour, this is not your place.  Service was solid, though our table wasn't clean (in a half-empty restaurant) when we arrived.  

That is the lighting they have.  It's a little TOO bright (particularly on the western part of the seating, which then also has the glow from the Starbucks' halogens as the restaurant is partly open to that space). I've often mocked many 'lounge'-style places for being too dark, but this lighting is just gross.  Needs 'mood' lighting for nighttime dining.  I like the decor overall, but it could use a little more personality, and better lighting would go a long way.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

The Victoria Harbour Authority sent us several photos of the Steamship's upcoming patio area.

Quite the involved project!

Photos by David Berry.

Significant progress has been made on the installation of the Steamship Terminal deck (see attached progress photos). The construction makes for a dramatic visual as the Steamship Terminal’s waterfront façade is transformed. Members of the media are welcome to capture the work in progress, but please remain behind the safety fence separating the construction zone from public areas.

This week, ten steel pilings (concrete filled) were driven approximately 15 feet deep to bedrock and were anchored into the rock to provide seismic stability to the deck and to support the deck columns.

Over the coming weeks, construction crews will be backfilling the trench around the foundations and installing formwork and steel to reinforce for the concrete walls.

Once complete, the 15 foot wide concrete deck will gently curve around the front of the Steamship Terminal and will have a glass balustrade. The Steamship Grill & Taphouse will connect to the deck from the existing central doors and Starbucks will have a door on the east side for customers to access.

The deck project is anticipated to be complete in April 2014.

deck1.jpg

deck4.jpg

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Wow hope that made sure to get the Heritage alteration permit. It will be amazing though. That area has always been deadsville and this will be quite the improvement. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

This place will be buzzing three seasons of the year :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Took a peek around the building on the weekend and was unimpressed with the look of the grill. Although it was clean and new, it did not do this beautifully redone building justice. The choice of light wood and tables (over something darker) set against white walls reminded me of a cafeteria. Also from what I could see there was maybe 6-8 beers on tap - not exactly what I would expect from a "taphouse." I'm not sure if it would've been feasible but a good brewpub here would have been a fantastic fit in my opinion.

On a more positive note I've heard from friends that the seafood was great and I think the patio will be a positive improvement.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Deck is now open! From the harbour authority:

MEDIA RELEASE: STEAMSHIP TERMINAL DECK OPENS
Waterfront Deck Offers Front Row Seat of Inner Harbour

Victoria, British Columbia: A new deck on the historic Steamship Terminal facing Victoria’s scenic Inner Harbour is now complete. Offering an amazing vantage point over some of Victoria’s biggest signature events, it also creates new space on the causeway level of the building for other uses.

The deck was installed by Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) as part of the larger revitalization project of the Steamship Terminal. The 15-foot wide elevated concrete structure was designed to harmonize with and enhance the existing heritage style of the Steamship Terminal. The steelwork and support details reflect this iconic 1920s-era landmark.

The new deck adds more than 2,000 ft2 of outdoor space at the already popular Steamship Grill & Bar and Starbucks Coffee. The Grill, which opened in mid-December, will connect to the deck through the existing central doors that welcomed steamship passengers back in the building’s heyday, when it served as Victoria’s international gateway. A new door has also been added at the east end for access by Starbucks customers. The building was originally adorned with a deck connecting to the steamship gangways and this new addition brings the Steamship Terminal back to its historical form and character.

Many of Victoria’s largest summer events take place right in front of the deck making it a prime location to enjoy the sounds of Symphony Splash, watch the thrilling competition of the Dragon Boat Festival, take in the sights of the Lighted Ship Parade and so much more.

The Steamship Grill & Bar’s new deck dining experience will offer fresh seafood, salads, fish & chips, steaks and burgers will be the mainstay of the new deck menu, along with fresh and innovative cocktails to refresh in the summer sun. The deck will be open from 10am daily.

“The addition of the new deck connects the Steamship Terminal with its past while enhancing its future,” said Curtis Grad, GVHA President & CEO. “Perhaps most importantly, the deck provides an incredible vantage point to appreciate the sights and sounds of our dynamic and thriving working harbour.”

“We are excited to be a part of the vibrant waterfront community in Victoria, and look forward to a great summer with locals and visitors to the Inner Harbour,” said Kelly Gordon, Extra Mile Chief Operations Officer.

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) is a not-for-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors, which is accountable to GVHA’s nine Member Agencies including; the Capital Regional District, City of Victoria, Esquimalt Nation, Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, the Provincial Capital Commission, Songhees Nation, Tourism Victoria, Township of Esquimalt; and the Victoria/Esquimalt Harbour Society. It owns and operates deep water, marina and upland holdings throughout Victoria’s harbour including the large vessel Ogden Point port facility, Victoria’s renowned Fisherman’s Wharf, and the inner harbour’s luxury yacht and marine tourism facility at Ship Point. GVHA’s vision is a harbour where people live, learn, work and play; a spectacular gateway into Victoria’s past and into its future, monumental in look and feel, linking communities and all people together.

Know it all.

#28 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

^ Nice. Any pictures with that release?

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Unfortunately no, but I'm sure we'll have a VV sleuth or two on the scene soon :)

Know it all.

#30 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

Should be interesting when the deck opens to see what kind of buzz results; went inside on Monday with my brother in law and truthfully was a bit underwhelmed as it seems very spartan in appearance (although to be fair we weren't there to go to the pub so this is merely an impression walking by); that said for those prices I would expect superlative food: we did hit Red Fish Blue Fish earlier and for $5 I got a ridiculously and insanely good Tandoori Halibut fish taco - I note above the fish tacos here are *triple* that price. For that I would expect to be seriously impressed.

#31 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, but for $15 you get two tacos and don't have to take a two hour lunch break.

• KAS likes this

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, but for $15 you get two tacos and don't have to take a two hour lunch break.

It's $11 for 2 huuuuuge tacos at the other place; at my size (265 pounds) I can tell you it takes a lot to fill me up and just one taco at that other joint more than fit the bill. As others have said the prices here seem high but I will reserve judgement until I actually have a sit down meal and experience. I have no issue paying "more" when its warranted however OTOH don't want to feel like I am getting ripped. It will be interesting to see how the deck plays out.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Earl's charges $15 for two chicken tacos and a side of soup or fries. I think $15 is standard for such a meal in a restaurant as long gone are the days of relatively inexpensive small dishes in an expensive environment like downtown Victoria.

Know it all.

#34 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

It will be interesting to see how the deck plays out.

There is NO patio that isn't packed as soon as the sun is out, no matter how expensive the food or beer! Don't matter what the food is like as long as you have sun and beer! :)

#35 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

Beer selection is very limited. Regardless of the patio, more choices is required.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

If you're calling yourself a taphouse a large selection of beer is expected.
  • OSJ likes this

Know it all.

#37 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

If you're calling yourself a taphouse a large selection of beer is expected.

i agree, seems kinda silly.

seems like these days as long as you have 1 tap you can call yourself a tap house.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#38 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Had lunch on the patio earlier this week. Food was good and the deck was great but as expected there was a definite (but not absurd) markup on the food being an expensive waterfront location. As mentioned above the tap selection was weak in numbers but still had some good options.

#39 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Unfortunately no, but I'm sure we'll have a VV sleuth or two on the scene soon :)

I guess better late than never.

June 24th, 5:16PM

IMG_5824.JPG

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

I guess being on the north side of the building the deck will be in shade much of the time, especially later in the afternoon and evening.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users