McPherson Playhouse

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#81 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

What's wrong with the current Royal?

The theatre is old and doesn't meet seismic standards. The lobby is tiny, the backstage is terrible. What isn't wrong with the Royal is a better question.

• Nparker and Dr.Doinglittle like this

#82 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

Well, ok maybe not $100 millin in our case, but a $25 million waterfront facility would be amazing.

We've got this incredible waterfront that we, the tax payer own a plethora of land around, which is sitting there empty save for parked vehicles.

Parking lots make a whole lot of money. Signature facilities such as a new library, maritime museum, opera house, etc. do the opposite.

#83 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

And the Royal has not enough bathrooms. The women's lineup at sold out shows is legendary.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

^ ^ true
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

And the Royal has not enough bathrooms. The women's lineup at sold out shows is legendary.

Ya that's just the way it is. During the other 98% of the show time they are empty.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

Parking lots make a whole lot of money. Signature facilities such as a new library, maritime museum, opera house, etc. do the opposite.

So let's tear down the Legislature, the RBCM and perhaps even a hospital or two and replace them with parking lots.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Selling the Royal and MacPherson properties would yield a heck of a lot more money than those parking lots bring in.

And private theatres make money, too. There's no reason we can't have that place booked up and in the black.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

So let's tear down the Legislature, the RBCM and perhaps even a hospital or two and replace them with parking lots.

The entire city should be one giant parking lot. Imagine the revenue from that.

• Nparker and nagel like this

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

And private theatres make money, too. There's no reason we can't have that place booked up and in the black.

Yes that is strange. Places like Sugar and Distrikt routinely (several days per week) have shows with over 450 guests. McPherson probably has anal rules.

#90 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, like no standing or dancing or drinks in the theatre.

Matt.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

I guess also the big clubs can do bands as they charge no "rent", but take the liquor revenue. I imagine the McPherson is a lot more stringent in rules.

#92 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

You can take your drinks in the theatre at the Royal. I assume it's the same at the Mac

#93 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

Well, ok maybe not $100 millin in our case, but a $25 million waterfront facility would be amazing.
We've got this incredible waterfront that we, the tax payer own a plethora of land around, which is sitting there empty save for parked vehicles.

Well, with the way Victoria City/Council manages capital projects, a $25M project might well turn into a $100M one!
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#94 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:02 AM

It's my understanding that Councillor Young tabled his motion until the end of February, after Councillor Madoff moved to seek funding support for the McPherson from other municipalities – a motion which passed unanimously.

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:46 AM

Dear Metchosin:

We have a theatre that loses $10,000 per performance and only holds 74 events per year.

Can you give us money?

Sincerely,

Victoria

#96 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:22 AM

I would rather the city find culture the more bicycle lanes, Bring in a management partner that can promote the place. Get a new group to manage the bookings of our theatres and arena.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#97 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

There's no shortage of groups that would love to use the Mac but it's crazy expensive with the mandatory union staff on top of the rental costs.

#98 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

+ cost of sending show over on Ferry + Victorians wait till the last minute to decide to go anywhere (except for Beer Fest and Brewery and the Beast) keep promoters gun shy of bringing bigger more expensive shows to the island (I have had a promoter tell this to me).
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:10 AM

There's no shortage of groups that would love to use the Mac but it's crazy expensive with the mandatory union staff on top of the rental costs.

Yes, the rates are right here.

http://www.rmts.bc.c...es-and-services

So just to be there the day before your show you have to pay $1000, and show days costs you $1000.  None of the labour you must employ costs less than $22 per hour.  Distrikt and Sugar charge $0 for rental and $0 for staffing.

The box office charges a minimum of $3.50 per ticket to sell them for you.  Plus they charge the customer $1.50 to $3.00 too.  

A lot of the shows that go to Sugar and Distrikt are in the $18 to $30 range.  If they held the same show at the McPherson, they would need to add $15 to $20 per ticket, making it unworkable. 

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:15 AM

It's my understanding that Councillor Young tabled his motion until the end of February, after Councillor Madoff moved to seek funding support for the McPherson from other municipalities – a motion which passed unanimously.

Right, go after more funding instead of looking at how to cut the costs.  Typical government move.  

Apart from building upkeep, where does all the money go that we pay for the McPherson?  Are we paying some full-time staff for a building that only hosts 75 shows a year?  That work should be contracted, or handled by other City employees.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users