Photo

2014 Winter Olympics

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#81 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Mansbridge wasn't any better with his comments after the Opening Ceremony, but at least it wasn't Brian Williams.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Diana Swain. :thumbsup:

The only opening or closing ceremonies I have ever watched were Vancouver's so I missed the comments. Care to share?

#82 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Sticky Wicket is opening at 9am for the men's games this week, Thursday, Friday and Sunday.   As of last week, unknown if they received permission to serve alcohol.

Podium Sports Grill will be open too, and they can accept minors.

The first two games on Thursday and Friday versus Norway and Austria should be easy wins for Canada. The game on Sunday against Finland should be a big more interesting, but Canada should win that one as well.

I must say, I will be disappointed if we don't see Canada vs Russia in this tournament.

#83 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

The only opening or closing ceremonies I have ever watched were Vancouver's so I missed the comments. Care to share?

"It was a good start. There was, ahhhh, y'know, a lot of very nice moments to watch there -- there were some hiccups. A few things didn't go right, the five Olympic rings, we only got four of them -- the seats weren't all full... the crowd was less than enthusiastic." (MacLean: "Yeah.") "Y'know, they didn't sort of punch it out there. And there were a few skips in the history -- no mention of the Stalin years, no mention of the World Wars... but nevertheless, after all that, they got through the evening without any major hitches. And it's Game On now, and a great moment with Tretiak."

#84 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

For those of you watching this on TV, how are you finding the coverage? 

Honestly I am finding that the CBC is going the way of US coverage in that they focus almost exclusively on Canadian athletes and events were Canadians are competing. I would rather have them cut out the feel good stories and lame interviews and cover more events.

#85 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Canadian speed skater Gilmore Junio gave up his spot in the men's 1,000m competition to Denny Morrison because he felt it gave his country a better shot at getting a medal. Junio is ranked 41st in the world while Morrison is ranked 6th.

Morrison failed to qualify for Sochi in the 1,000m because he crashed during Olympic qualifications in Calgary. 

Morrison just won the silver medal in the 1,000m. He now has an individual Olympic medal. Pretty cool.

• Bingo and lanforod like this

#86 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,636 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Honestly I am finding that the CBC is going the way of US coverage in that they focus almost exclusively on Canadian athletes and events were Canadians are competing. I would rather have them cut out the feel good stories and lame interviews and cover more events.

It is not clear to me why this is an issue spanky: Australian TV focuses - not at all surprisingly - on the Australian athletes. Ditto, of course, for the US media and their team. Same for Britain - this is hardly an "American" trend. All nations do it. Do you honestly think Russian TV, especially given that they are the hosts, pays much if any attention to what the South Koreans are doing? What is wrong in general, with a few exceptions of course, with the CBC doing to same? While it may be nice to hear about the struggles of the guy from Belarus to qualify for a certain event due to lack of facilities or financial backing, or oddball stories as in the past (Eddie the Eagle, Jamaican bobsledders) beyond those examples I would rather know more about the gold and silver medal winning sisters from Quebec, the snowboarder from Vancouver Island or especially any feel good story on that "long shot for a medal" Canadian who triumphs despite huge odds, and which invariably arises at least once in most Olympics. I do agree though that overall I would rather see broader coverage of more events and less "filler".

#87 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Since Canadians are competing in every event, I don't see how this could be an issue.

And of course the Canadian network is going to be cheer leading Canadians. The coverage I have seen has been pretty comprehensive.

The "lame" interviews of emotional Canadian athletes who just finished their competitions and met/didn't meet their lifelong goals, dreams and aspirations are pretty cool to me.

#88 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

"It was a good start. There was, ahhhh, y'know, a lot of very nice moments to watch there -- there were some hiccups. A few things didn't go right, the five Olympic rings, we only got four of them -- the seats weren't all full... the crowd was less than enthusiastic." (MacLean: "Yeah.") "Y'know, they didn't sort of punch it out there. And there were a few skips in the history -- no mention of the Stalin years, no mention of the World Wars... but nevertheless, after all that, they got through the evening without any major hitches. And it's Game On now, and a great moment with Tretiak."

Haha. What did they expect? An ode to Stalin? Some touchy-feely stories of communism, the iron curtain, ruling with an iron fist, and starving of millions of Ukrainians?

#89 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Any 'trick' skiers or snowboarders out there? (Freestyle in Olympic lingo, but that's probably not what the kids are calling it on the ski hills these days).

I've really enjoyed the 'slopestyle' events this year, mostly because they match what you see on the hill, and what we used to do when I was a kid - bomb down slopes as fast as possible and try to hit the biggest and craziest jumps possible. The judging is poor though, as several athletes have noted. Like, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an 80 percent mark and a 60 percent mark, which should be fairly obvious.

Also, do judges have access to screens with slow-mo video? I'd guess it would help a lot if they did.

#90 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've been enjoying all the skiing too this year.  Also helps that I'm home when it's live on TV.

Curling might be an interesting sport to watch, but I can't sit and watch it for two hours when I can see dozens of ski runs instead.

I seem to recall that the commentators stated the judges do not have access to the slow motion playback, they only get the actual performance to judge.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#91 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Curling might be an interesting sport to watch, but I can't sit and watch it for two hours when I can see dozens of ski runs instead.

I found watching the CAN-SWE men's curling last night via Telus Optik CBC on demand channel worked great. I fast forwarded most ends to the last 3 pairs of stones where things are usually more interesting. Cliffhanger 10th end in that one, was great to watch!

#92 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

I have yet to see any LIVE coverage. Everysingle time I turn it on its recorded.

Whats with that.

Anyone know if there is any live coverage? And by live I mean it is happening as I am watching it.

#93 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I have yet to see any LIVE coverage. Everysingle time I turn it on its recorded.

Whats with that.

Anyone know if there is any live coverage? And by live I mean it is happening as I am watching it.

There is tons of live coverage. I think CBC has been covering everything live. If you checked out the schedule on Google, you'd see most events are happening in the afternoon or evening in Sochi, which means early morning here. There is a 12 hour time difference you know. 

#94 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

I've been enjoying all the skiing too this year.  Also helps that I'm home when it's live on TV.

I seem to recall that the commentators stated the judges do not have access to the slow motion playback, they only get the actual performance to judge.

I heard that the figure skating judges can review any part of a performance in slow motion, to fine tune their score.

#95 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Whats with that.

9 PM on CBC is typically when the Live coverage starts, until 9 AM or so.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

I caught the end of the Canada/US woman's hockey game live early this morning.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#97 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

The other night at 944pm (944am Sochi Time) I was watching what I thought was live biathalon until of course I noticed that the sky was black. This was on CBC and it was supposed to be live but there is no way there is a black sky in sochi at 10 am

#98 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

You have to do some channel surfing to find the live stuff. 

You can either Google "Sochi Olympics schedule" or download the fantastic "Sochi 2014" app for the event schedule. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#99 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Well be glad you get to see that. If you are in the US you can't watch the CBC or CTV as all content is blocked for the duration of the Olympics. You can't even watch any news stories that have nothing to do with the Olympics. :mad:

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#100 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Well be glad you get to see that. If you are in the US you can't watch the CBC or CTV as all content is blocked for the duration of the Olympics. You can't even watch any news stories that have nothing to do with the Olympics. :mad:

Usually it is the people in Canada who get geoblocked from US sites (ie. Hulu Plus). There are relatively easy ways to get around geoblocking though.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users