BUILT
The Clive
Uses: rental, condo
Address: 1510 Clive Drive
Municipality: Oak Bay
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
The Clive is a three storey purpose-built rental complex situated on a site formerly occupied by a two storey,... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Clive on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oak Bay] The Clive | Rentals | 3-storeys | Built - completed in 2015

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

Part of the approval is a "housing agreement" that says only so many cars can be owned by tenants of the building, ie. of the 17 suites, they can have 12 cars or something (I don't know actual numbers).  I'm not clear how that is enforced etc.

I've never heard of anything like that. I can be a Jay Leno and have a hanger full of cars and I can drive and park wherever it's legal. I understand they don't want Clive residents getting residential permits and parking on the streets but why should they be punished? The reason the streets are so clogged is that garages and carports are converted to suites and now every house has three cars on the street.

Edited by Holden West, 12 March 2014 - 09:56 AM.

• rjag likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've never heard of anything like that. I can be a Jay Leno and have a hanger full of cars and I can drive and park wherever it's legal. I understand they don't want Clive residents getting residential permits and parking on the streets but why should they be punished? The reason the streets are so clogged is that garages and carports are converted to suites and now every house has three cars on the street.

I'll try to find out more.

EDIT:  I talked to city hall, the agreement they have with the landlord, once they fill their 17 stalls (that's an average of one per unit) they can not rent the next open suite to a person that has a car.  So, essentially, they could rent unit #2 to a person with 3 cars, but at no time will they accept an additional tenant with a car, if they have no open spaces.

Sounds fine to me.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

So what if a tenant buys a car while they're renting a space? Will they be hunted down by the Tinto Rocks Gang?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

They'll end up with a Tinto rock through their windshield. 

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

So what if a tenant buys a car while they're renting a space? Will they be hunted down by the Tinto Rocks Gang?

I guess you are not allowed to, that's part of your lease.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

I don't think anyone could stop you from buying the car. You would, however, be responsible for finding a place off the property to park it.

#27 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Almost 50 of the 200 in attendance addressed council during the three-hour public hearing held at Monterey Centre. The vast majority spoke in favour of the project, which will see the current eight-unit, two storey building replaced with a 17-unit, three storey one. A fourth and final reading is expected next month, ensuring the units are for rentals only, are available to families and that no units are rented to car-owning tenants once all parking stalls are allocated.

http://www.vicnews.c.../249977081.html

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Developer Nicole Roberts first proposed redeveloping the Clive in December 2012. The Oak Bay native expected resistance and to negotiate with neighbours, but this particular project has been the most intense for the experienced developer, who has primarily worked in Arizona.

Nicole Roberts is Jimmy Duncan's daughter.  Jimmy Duncan was one half of Swiftsure Developments, with Tony Young.  They built a lot of stuff around town (some that went bankrupt), and still own the Magnolia Hotel I think.  They were in the news not too long ago for pleading guilty to paying a $50,000 bribe to David Basi in connection to Sunriver Estates and the ALR.

#29 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

I'm hearing construction will start in August

• Mike K. likes this

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

The old Clive is gone...

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5117.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#31 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

Can understand the concerns of nearby residents but I think this is going to be a plus for Oak Bay Avenue, and with the concessions made I think it is now the perfect project for this location. The old apartment building was more than a little ugly in my personal opinion. The developers seem to be taking a responsible approach.

#32 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

Yesterday

victoria-theclive-2014.12.15.jpg

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

Perhaps the title of this thread needs to be updated, seeing as construction is underway.

#34 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:09 PM

Today:

Attached Images

• IMG_5666.JPG

• sebberry likes this

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

IMG_7387.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#36 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

In Japan owership of a car is dependent on proving you have a place to park it, plus no parking mandates in the zoning system.  If you want to build a house that fills up the lot with no parking, go nuts, but you can't get a plate for your car if you do.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#37 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

In Japan owership of a car is dependent on proving you have a place to park it, plus no parking mandates in the zoning system.  If you want to build a house that fills up the lot with no parking, go nuts, but you can't get a plate for your car if you do.

I must admit, this really made me think. What a fascinating idea. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:22 AM

What are we talking about here? 

The Clive has parking spaces.

:confused:

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

In Japan owership of a car is dependent on proving you have a place to park it, plus no parking mandates in the zoning system. If you want to build a house that fills up the lot with no parking, go nuts, but you can't get a plate for your car if you do.

But what does this have to do with Clive?
  • Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

People were talking about limits to car ownership as part of the land use of the building.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users