Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2701 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

Oh yeah, that's exactly what it is.

But it's 2017, and we have two time changes every year. Can we not have this stuff figured out?

Probably because the timing control boxes are largely manual? And the city is trying to maximize value so only replacing lights when they need to be?

Also, why the f would anybody want to drive fast downtown? And why do you think that the city should let you do that?

#2702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

Whoa, calm down, Corey.

I don't want to drive fast, I just don't want to stop at a red light every 100m. That's a waste of time, fuel and creates a lot more emissions than would otherwise be emitted.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2703 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

Whoa, calm down, Corey.

I don't want to drive fast, I just don't want to stop at a red light every 100m. That's a waste of time, fuel and creates a lot more emissions than would otherwise be emitted.

I am calm. The end consquence of sequenced lights is high speed. You can see it for the few blocks that they are sequenced here and there downtown  - like Fort from Blanshard to Vancouver.

#2704 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

I am calm. The end consquence of sequenced lights is high speed. You can see it for the few blocks that they are sequenced here and there downtown  - like Fort from Blanshard to Vancouver.

Nonsense, for example the lights on Fort from Douglas to Cook were sequenced to maintain an average speed of 40kmh years ago. Thats not high speed. They were set up to allow for a smooth flow of traffic which was especially noticeable when traffic was lighter ie evenings which is also the time of highest risk.

• sebberry likes this

#2705 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

The end consequence is zero speed, added emissions, frustration and congestion with 100m forced stops.

A win-win for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2706 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

Nonsense, for example the lights on Fort from Douglas to Cook were sequenced to maintain an average speed of 40kmh years ago. Thats not high speed. They were set up to allow for a smooth flow of traffic which was especially noticeable when traffic was lighter ie evenings which is also the time of highest risk.

And if you drive Fort recently you'll see that the Vancouver light has been de-sequenced out. Because what happens is people scream down Fort, slam on their brakes at the light, then take off again when it is green. Hopefully the new bike lane fixes this problem (by further desequencing the lights)

#2707 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

I want to take time out to thank Coreyburger for his (her?) contributions here and on one or two other threads (transit, bike issues).  I always enjoy them, and I know you sometimes feel you are waging an unphill battle vs. those of us more on the right (or more car-favouring).

timeout.jpg

Thanks for your input.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2708 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

In theory sequencing is a good idea but it just makes it worse for pedestrians, who should be prioritized in a downtown setting.

It sucks to drive through downtown.  My suggestion is to avoid doing it if you can.  Otherwise bring a good audio book.  Just don't listen to CFAX.  It's got 11 minutes of content each hour and that will further infuriate you.

Also if Corey is a girl he needs to stuff more to get my attention.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#2709 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

After 8am the lights are sequenced for pedestrians, something like 5km/h. Works rather well.

#2710 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

The end consequence of red lights at every block are drivers engaging in other high risk behaviors to try to make up time.  It's a lot safer to have traffic flow consistently, albeit at a higher speed. than to have some dolt weave in and out of slower moving traffic.

You need to have fewer lunch breaks with Chris Foord :)  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2711 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

Another end consequence which I see daily is transit buses running red lights well past the point of skimming through on a yellow. Almost on a daily basis I now see transit buses crossing intersections when opposing traffic has a green.

Know it all.

#2712 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Ya it’s a bus though. Chances for a collision is small unless the opposing traffic is doing something dumb. You can see a bus in your way.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

Oh yeah, I can imagine. But drivers are obviously growing frustrated and are willing to break the law to ensure their bus meets its schedule.

Know it all.

#2714 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

I want to take time out to thank Coreyburger for his (her?) contributions here and on one or two other threads (transit, bike issues).  I always enjoy them, and I know you sometimes feel you are waging an unphill battle vs. those of us more on the right (or more car-favouring).

My preferred pronoun is him/he. Given I use my real name posting here, not hard to find me: http://www.coreyburger.ca/about-me/ or https://twitter.com/burgundavia

#2715 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

My preferred pronoun is him/he. Given I use my real name posting here..

I know a person named Corey who is very much a her/she.

#2716 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

I went to school with Corey, I can confirm that he is in fact a he.

Moving right along...  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2717 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

I know a person named Corey who is very much a her/she.

As do I - in fact Corey is more traditionally the "female" way of spelling the name. Most men are Cory.

• Nparker likes this

#2718 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Somewhat back on topic...

Part of the proposed 2018 budget presented to CoTW last week, there is a Supplemental Budget request for 2018 of $40,000 for Traffic Signal Timing Update Study.

"Review of existing traffic signal timings is a needed requirement for the City to optimize the demand imposed by changes to traffic patterns, volume, congestion and development"

#2719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Oh yeah, well look at that!

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#2720 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Who says it's for cars?  In Copenhagen there's traffic signal timing to ensure that on bicycle superhighways, if you maintain 20kph, if you're going in the direction of rush hour, you will never hit a red light.  That would be very beneficial in Victoria as well.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users