Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2721 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

Bicycle superhighways would be? Not gonna happen. We love cars. And with the very rare exception every high school kid wants to own one.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2722 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Bicycle superhighways would be? Not gonna happen. We love cars. And with the very rare exception every high school kid wants to own one.

You should be more specific about what you believe is not going to happen before lazily making such a statement.  You're having a bad day in regards to clarity.

I think you have a misunderstanding about cycling.  People who cycle substantially also own and drive vehicles.  I drive more kms than I bike.  I expect to always own a car unless a true autonomous model is implemented where it makes more sense for me to not own.  Despite my need/desire to drive, I still expect safe and convenient access when I'm able to bike.

A cycle superhighway is just an overblown title for "bike path with little or no traffic crossings".  The Galloping Goose is practically a bicycle superhighway although a few spots are dicey.

Timing for cyclists will come.  I believe it will be put in in Vancouver within 5 years on certain routes, and then we and others will copy it once they've ironed out the kinks.

#2723 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Hold on, the Goose is a multi-use trail that in theory places priority on pedestrians over cyclists, but cyclists have taken over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2724 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

Yes you're right it's not really a bicycle superhighway, but in Victoria terms it's the closest comparison.  It would need separation to become one.  The volumes in the core certainly warrant separation.

#2725 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yes you're right it's not really a bicycle superhighway, but in Victoria terms it's the closest comparison.  It would need separation to become one.  The volumes in the core certainly warrant separation.

I'm calling for that to happen now, let's lay down some chips or whatever we use these days for a walking trail.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 November 2017 - 02:03 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2726 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

I'm calling for that to happen now, let's lay down some chips or whatever we use these days for a walking trail.

Hey practically everyone in the CRD agrees with separating the Goose, other than CRD Parks themselves presumably.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2727 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Victorians have been complaining about the timing of traffic lights seemingly forever. I'm pretty sure that it was mentioned in "Only in Victoria, you say?" by Ed Gould. Which for some bizarre reason I remember reading in Bolen Books back when Bolen Books was in its small location over by the ramp near Zellers (before they moved all the way over to the "big" space in the "new" section near the Sony Store, before they moved into the former supermarket/market space where they are now, before they expanded that space to its current footprint).

Does anyone here have that book? I'd like to see if my memory is correct. So many donuts on the line.

Edited by aastra, 07 November 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#2728 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

The best city I have ever driven in for sequenced lights is San Diego. You match speed with the lights you never have to stop, too slow too fast, you will stop at every light.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2729 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

The only infuriating light timing issue I repeatedly find awful is Tattersall/Saanich/Vernon/Blanshard North/South/Oak Street/Douglas/Boleskine. But mostly when heading west on Tattersall/Saanich and hitting Blanshard North... that light turns green and MAYBE 4 cars get thru westward to Oak/Uptown entrance. I shake my fist at that light like a good CFAX listener!

Edited by LocalMom, 07 November 2017 - 10:52 PM.

#2730 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

It used to be much better. Once upon a time Blanshard northbound was timed such that at any time of day you’d cost at 50km/h from downtown to the Saanich municipal hall. Now you stop three if not four if not five times.

Same for Pandora. You could coast at a reasonable speed all the way from the Oak Bay junction onto the Johnson Street Bridge without stopping. No word of a lie.
  • LocalMom likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2731 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

But mostly when heading west on Tattersall/Saanich and hitting Blanshard North... that light turns green and MAYBE 4 cars get thru westward to Oak/Uptown entrance.

I go that way often Quadra to the TC, and have never had a problem when I stay in the right hand lane.

#2732 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Must be the TIME you are there?! Cause Every👏🏻Freaking👏🏻Time👏🏻 it’s stop and go traffic to go west on that route for me!

#2733 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Must be the TIME you are there?! Cause EveryFreakingTime it’s stop and go traffic to go west on that route for me!

Don't go that way then.

#2734 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

It used to be much better. Once upon a time Blanshard northbound was timed such that at any time of day you’d cost at 50km/h from downtown to the Saanich municipal hall. Now you stop three if not four if not five times.

Same for Pandora. You could coast at a reasonable speed all the way from the Oak Bay junction onto the Johnson Street Bridge without stopping. No word of a lie.

Is Pandora not like that anymore? When I lived at the Junction I would take Pandora to Blanshard every morning on my way to work. Pandora was alwas a breeze. About half the time I'd have to stop at the first light, but smooth sailing after that. I only moved out of there two years ago.

#2735 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Is Pandora not like that anymore? When I lived at the Junction I would take Pandora to Blanshard every morning on my way to work. Pandora was alwas a breeze. About half the time I'd have to stop at the first light, but smooth sailing after that. I only moved out of there two years ago.

Must be time of day.  Sometimes I can go from Begbie to almost Blanshard with all greens.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2736 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:37 AM

Inevitably you’ll get stuck now at Blanshard, Government and Wharf. Sometimes even Harbour Road. That’s if you make it to Blanshard without getting stopped at Cook, Vancouver or Quadra.

Know it all.

#2737 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:40 AM

Is Pandora not like that anymore? When I lived at the Junction I would take Pandora to Blanshard every morning on my way to work. Pandora was always a breeze. 

Bike lanes.

#2738 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Pandora is the easiest street to drive on downtown (other than the JSB construction mess at Store).  When you turn right off of Pandora there is zero chance you will kill a pedestrian.  Anywhere else downtown, turning right, you NEVER have right of way and it can be daunting to turn right if you even give half a f'k about peoples lives.

#2739 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

Pandora is the easiest street to drive on downtown (other than the JSB construction mess at Store).  When you turn right off of Pandora there is zero chance you will kill a pedestrian.  Anywhere else downtown, turning right, you NEVER have right of way and it can be daunting to turn right if you even give half a f'k about peoples lives.

Well, that's assuming all the pedestrians obey the signage and lights...

• Bingo and Midnightly like this

#2740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

Just moments ago with very light traffic northbound from View onto Quadra, I hit a red light at:
- Yates
- Johnson
- Pandora
- Fisgard
- I turned left onto N Park when I saw I’d hit a red on Caledonia

That’s five red lights in the span of 500 metres.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users