Photo

Imported Japanese cars

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

The one in the middle is an S-Cargo (think about it)

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

^^ Yes that middle one, I think one parks down by Capital Iron (maybe represents the kayak place), one at Discovery and Douglas and I've seen one or two more.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

One of the things they mentioned on the radio this morning is concern about the safety of right-hand drive vehicles when it comes to visibility while passing on the highway.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

I'm pretty sure Bayview has this car with promo graphics all over it.

#25 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

What's the reasoning behind importing these Japanese cars? Just to be different? Or is it something practical?
Why do they have to be at least 15 yrs old?

A while ago I was approached with business suggestion one part of which was to import old japanese cars. The idea is based on the fact (haven't checked it personally since got never interested) that cars above certain age, 10 or 15 years I can't recall now, get mandatory write-off in Japan and can be imported but for the price of delivery. Perhaps that's the answer.

Addition: How's that for a waste instead of reuse? :lol: :lol:

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:34 PM

I wonder how much these cost?

#27 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

There is a Mitsubishi Delica & a Toyota Prado on my block.

I bought (& destroyed) a Toyota Hi-Ace while touring New Zealand....despite the destruction I wanted to get something similar upon return, but the importing hadn't picked up yet.

I was told the NZ new car market is relatively weak due to the flood of quality cheap used cars from Japan.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

CBC segment: (RealAudio)

http://www.cbc.ca/th... ... t_sec2.ram
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#29 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

^thanks!

but dangit. now I want to sell my yuppiemobile & get a compact 4wd van.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

B.C. tries to put brakes on right-hand-drive cars

Last Updated: Friday, December 22, 2006 | 4:44 PM ET
CBC News

They are in excellent mechanical shape with low mileage, but used right-hand-drive vehicles from Japan are raising safety concerns in British Columbia.

Provincial officials are concerned the vehicles might be dangerous in passing situations and have asked Transport Canada to step in.

Mike Woods, manager for vehicle inspections in the province, said that while there's no evidence of accidents caused by right-hand-drive vehicles, officials need more time to determine their safety record.

"There is some concern, and the Insurance Corp. of B.C. is probably looking at that quite closely, and I'm certain that the Insurance Bureau of Canada is also looking into it," Woods said.

Some officials worry the cars may be dangerous when passing because the driver's range of vision is limited on the outside of the road.

All cars imported from Japan —where motorists drive on the left-hand side of the road — are at least 15 years old because federal laws place restrictions on newer cars.

However, B.C. officials have asked Transport Canada to extend that to 25 years in an attempt to reduce the number of right-hand-drive cars entering the province.

About 175 Japanese right-hand-drive cars are registered in B.C. every month — a number that has grown steadily, provincial officials say.

One of them is owned by Thomas Nottelman, who imported his 16-year-old Toyota Corolla and several other cars from Japan. Because Japan has tough mechanical regulations and regular inspections, he said, its second-hand cars are prized.

Many of them have "never seen an accident, they've never seen dirt, they certainly don't have any rust, and they're exceptionally low mileage," Nottelman said.

"So you can't buy anything comparable here, unless you happen to find a little old lady's car."

#31 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:57 AM

I saw a cute white truck that is right hand drive and has japanese on it. I think it's that "Suzuki Carry". I love japanese sized vehicles, small efficient and almost always in perfect shape.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#32 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

I wonder how much these cost?

I was in Parksville for the holidays and noticed a couple of these little rigs in one of the dealer lots.

They have two Honda Acty pick-up trucks. One for $6,900 and the other was $8,000. They were immaculate and feature 3 cylinder, 550cc engines with all-wheel drive.

If you want something more conventional, they also have three Rover Minis from the early 90s for a mere $7,000.

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

Ooh, ooh!!! I want that Mini!

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

B.C. tries to put brakes on right-hand-drive cars

Last Updated: Friday, December 22, 2006 | 4:44 PM ET
CBC News

They are in excellent mechanical shape with low mileage, but used right-hand-drive vehicles from Japan are raising safety concerns in British Columbia...

Many of them have "never seen an accident, they've never seen dirt, they certainly don't have any rust, and they're exceptionally low mileage," Nottelman said.

"So you can't buy anything comparable here, unless you happen to find a little old lady's car."

They don't have dirt in Japan? That's cool.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:27 PM

They've never SEEN dirt.
They're blindfolded cars, dummy.

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

They have dirt but it is made out of a brand new synthetic polymer.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

"If you are enjoy excitement of OFF-ROAD drive, apply "Mr. Danger 4x4 Action Soil™" on to exterior of automobile in a lively manner. Proceed to operate your automobile in an action way until the time that is concluded. Then removing "Mr. Danger 4x4 Action Soil™" by the using a soft cloth and disposing in wastebin.

"Mr. Danger 4x4 Action Soil™" is superior than dirt to show outdoor effects without humiliating unsanitariness."

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

Gosh those minis are cute.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:03 AM

Just press the button!

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

hahahaaa

I've already bought a case for Derf and Scaper.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users