CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
959 replies to this topic

#381 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:54 AM

Nice! When are they expected to be completed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#382 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

Nice! When are they expected to be completed?

2020-21 for B Jetty

2024 for A Jetty

• Mattjvd likes this

#383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

Nice! Thank you for the update.

• VANRIDERFAN likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#384 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

443 Squadron hopes to send a Cyclone for deployment on HMCS Regina, for the first time in January.

https://www.timescol...ings-1.23397390

#385 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

Interesting story in a recent issue of the Canadian Defence Review re: Babcock and its involvement in the maintenance program for the Victoria-class submarines.

Some useful information to be sure but the fact remains by the time the last of the four boats is fully upgraded in 2023 (HMCS Windsor), the class will represent a nearly 40 year old hull design.

This purchase was (purely IMO) a folly for a bunch of reasons, the most shocking of which jumps out in the article: originally purchased in 1998 - when they were already nearly a decade old - it wasn't for another 17 years in February 2015 that the fleet actually became operational. Somewhat ironic too that these ex-"British" boats, when fully upgraded, will be essentially upgraded to all-American specs and standards, combat weapons, systems and sensors. 

http://www.canadiand...ontent?blog/125

• todd likes this

#386 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

While HMCS Corner Brook, is currently undergoing its EDWP which will include repairs to the damage the submarine sustained during a grounding incident in 2011.

7 years and Babcock is still working on repairs.

This whole project has been a crock. We have owned the subs for 25 years, spent billions and at best we have had the equivalent of 1 year of operational duties of 1 sub. 

Edited by spanky123, 29 August 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#387 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

This is what we should be buying...

https://nationalinte...-take-any-21021

• jonny and lanforod like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#388 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

Ok now this should be cool and I'll be all over it: there is a big navy open house and display at Ogden Pt on September 30 with HMCS Chicoutimi as the star attraction: https://www.cafconne...n-the-Dock.aspx.

This usually occurs at the base. Not sure which ships if any are taking actual tours although I'd give up my kid to the Admiral and a year's indentured labor for her to play nanny to his kids in exchange for a tour of the sub....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 20 September 2018 - 05:11 PM.

#389 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

My Old Man was in the RCN. Some of my best childhood memories (late sixties) were when they had a “Family Day”. We got to go out for a day sail on one the ships. It was a day-long affair as we toured the engine room, ate lunch in the mess, had a “nap” in Dad’s rack. Steaming along, the spray in your face so cold you could hardly catch your breath as the ship zigged and zagged, firing her guns. Man, it didn’t get much more exciting for a 10 year old boy, in those days.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#390 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:20 AM

Ok now this should be cool and I'll be all over it: there is a big navy open house and display at Ogden Pt on September 30 with HMCS Chicoutimi as the star attraction: https://www.cafconne...n-the-Dock.aspx.

This usually occurs at the base. Not sure which ships if any are taking actual tours although I'd give up my kid to the Admiral and a year's indentured labor for her to play nanny to his kids in exchange for a tour of the sub....

They had one fairly recently (last 3 years?) at the coast guard's dock and gave our tours of the sub.

#391 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

My Old Man was in the RCN. Some of my best childhood memories (late sixties) were when they had a “Family Day”. We got to go out for a day sail on one the ships. It was a day-long affair as we toured the engine room, ate lunch in the mess, had a “nap” in Dad’s rack. Steaming along, the spray in your face so cold you could hardly catch your breath as the ship zigged and zagged, firing her guns. Man, it didn’t get much more exciting for a 10 year old boy, in those days.

One of my best friends' (grades 7-12) father was a senior sonar tech in the west coast fleet in the early 70's and I got invited on one of those 'sail for a day' trips - it was awesome! Especially when they did the high speed turns and fired the anti-submarine mortars astern. You had to hang for dear life when those destroyers keeled waaaaay over to port and starboard. The other thing that stands out was the food - ohmigod did the navy feed the crews good food - thickest juiciest prime rib I think I've ever seen..... :thumbsup:

#392 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:33 PM

Yes I would agree, the Navy likes to eat.

From an Army perspective.

• AllseeingEye and Mattjvd like this

#393 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

...not to mention your daily tot and your 25 cent smokes... :teacher: 

#394 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:32 PM

^Tot no more. That went in the early 70's.

#395 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

One of my best friends' (grades 7-12) father was a senior sonar tech in the west coast fleet in the early 70's and I got invited on one of those 'sail for a day' trips - it was awesome! Especially when they did the high speed turns and fired the anti-submarine mortars astern. You had to hang for dear life when those destroyers keeled waaaaay over to port and starboard. The other thing that stands out was the food - ohmigod did the navy feed the crews good food - thickest juiciest prime rib I think I've ever seen..... :thumbsup:

You would find it less fun in the North Atlantic in winter. 

The good food only lasted til your first replenishment port, then not so much.

#396 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

You would find it less fun in the North Atlantic in winter. 

The good food only lasted til your first replenishment port, then not so much.

We were 12....anything and everything is fun where you're 12, lol. 

#397 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:22 AM

Tomorrow is "Defense On The Dock" down at Ogden Point. A Free Family event that allows the public to interact with the CAF. 

"The public will get firsthand interaction with a significant variety of military assets including a submarine, a Canadian Patrol Frigate, a MCDV, helicopter, artillery and current and historical military vehicles - supported by a wide representation of soldiers, sailors and airmen and airwomen from across the Formation. There will also be RHIB rides, SAR demos, SkyHawks performance and food trucks!"

I personally hope to catch a ride on that inflatable Navy Speed Boat. Went on it years ago when they had a similar event at Ogden point, and that guy Gunned it! We were flying through the water on that thing. SO much fun

https://www.tourismv...ts/defence-dock

#398 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

HMCS Chicoutimi is the sub being featured. CHEK showed a tour aboard her a week or two back on the evening news, I would love that opportunity although I suspect that will not be an option - 

Attached Images

• RCN.jpg

#399 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

Chicoutimi tied up to Ogden Point early this morning; one of the Kingston-class patrol boats was just pulling in when I took this about noon today.

Attached Images

• HMCS Chicoutimi.jpg

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#400 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

A couple of pics I took of the Sub up-close today. Unfortunately to get on it, you had to enter this Raffle, and they were only doing a couple of raffles for the whole day. The other Navy ships you could just walk onto, including two Helicopters.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 30 September 2018 - 01:33 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users