Photo

[Saanich] Mark One | 15- & 5-storeys | Mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Just keep them out of James Bay...? :P I'm fairly new to Victoria and this board, but that seems to be one of the themes. My feel for the area so far is that the Uptown area is perfect for this type of density.

Yeah, after 2 years here I've learnt the same theme. I'm happy to see this sort of distributed density in town -- coming from Calgary and Edmonton, two radial cities, I think multiple centres of growth and density create more diversity, spread out the transportation load and provide the benefits of density to more surrounding areas.

#22 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, after 2 years here I've learnt the same theme. I'm happy to see this sort of distributed density in town -- coming from Calgary and Edmonton, two radial cities, I think multiple centres of growth and density create more diversity, spread out the transportation load and provide the benefits of density to more surrounding areas.

Agreed. It's great that Uptown seems to be creating or at least contributing to a demand for density in the surrounding area. It is a great spot for it.

This building would be great anywhere in Greater Victoria if you ask me. It could work downtown, in James Bay, Esquimalt or the WestComms. I hope it goes ahead and gets built.

#23 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

Build it.. Build it.. Build it..

• Nparker likes this

#24 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

I would lose the two surface lots though. They kill the street feel. There is a potential to turn Crease into a cool little strip that could be a destination apart from Uptown if the commercial and pedestrian realm is done well. The two surface lots kill that. 

This leads into my only hesitation about this proposal, which is that there is no definite plan for Uptown that I've heard about.  Can this proposal be used to help anchor a new vibrant community, or will this just be an isolated proposal among many where the whole is less than the sum of the parts?

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

^ Fair point. I would hate to see a Metrotown streetscape despite the density there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, very good point. Perhaps the question we should be asking Saanich is if they have a community plan underway. This area should have been/is today a priority going by what's happening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

As much as I like the idea of this building, it is once again going to mean the loss of more industrial land in the city.    I would be much happier with it if it was one block further west and replaced some single family homes

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Seems like all that industrial land is being pretty poorly used as is. A block over this proposal would not work. Once this proposal is built, a project a block over may work. 

It has a whole new look!

#29 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

We are very short of industrial land in this city, it is already leading to problems.   We do not need more of it made into housing.   Housing should stay on housing land

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

I suppose this proposal is not part of a neighbourhood plan the likes of which dictate the form and type of development in Victoria. Does Saanich even draw up master plans for its districts?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

^^ What problems are arising from a lack of industrial land. To be honest Bernard the only person I have ever heard say it is a problem is you. Victoria is never going to be an industrial city and there is more than enough space in Langford or elsewhere for industry. 

It has a whole new look!

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

When industrial land starts to hold a community back it has to go. It's often messy, loud and unsightly. True industrial land could easily be accommodated on the west shore and when there is demand for it industry will provide it. What we have at this location is such a small pocket of industrial land that it's re-use won't be a problem.

Know it all.

#33 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

We are very short of industrial land in this city, it is already leading to problems.   We do not need more of it made into housing.   Housing should stay on housing land

Just drive through Esquimalts Industial area.... TONS for lease and empty land for development.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#34 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

And there are those two towers envisioned for Uptown itself.

Btw, notice that skybridge connecting the two buildings! This must the first of its kind in Victoria.

I actually believe this is the second of its kind! First being on the Jawl's Selkirk waterfront.

Regardless, skybridges are cool. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

So this project must have died no?

It has a whole new look!

#36 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

Does anyone know if it has approval from City Council?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#37 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, where did this land? Really liked the ideas here. I think they should redesign it so that the Galloping Goose literally runs through the building, like the Skyline Park in NYC...

• Nparker and nagel like this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

It's still an active proposal.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

Been a year this had any comments. Guessing it is dead?

It has a whole new look!

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

failed.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users