Sunshine Terrace: In the shadow of retail giants

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

How about Costco open a location closer to town

Here is opposite view on that, second post on this page: http://forum.skyscra... ... 090&page=2

Just to add another dimension...

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

I assume you are referring to Miketoronto's claim?

I agree with his position. I wish that people would not shop at places like that and instead choose a more local venue for there money but I am afraid that is unlikely. Still I vote with my wallet even if I am in the minority and don't go to Walmart and Costco. I will admit to shopping at Real Canadian Wholesale in Esq. and also to Home Depot in GH. But I can say with pride that I have not made a right hand turn onto Millstream in at least almost a year and that was to go to Bear Mountain not to shop.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:24 PM

I can get by with local shops for everything I need but if I had a family the Costcos of the world would be the only affordable options for continually consumed items like food.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

^^There are many points in his post I agree with. Read the discussion down that page and you'll see many arguments for both sides, many of them are fully valid too.

Not sure though how you decide which chains you kindly grant your patronage to and which you so proudly cast aside... either this is a matter of principle or convinience, not both :lol:

Also, you seem to advocate both mutually exclusive sides, no? Place big boxes in dense areas per your post/keep them in suburbs per miketoronto post which you agree with... I am confused about your preferences :)

#45 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

^If box stores are to be in urban areas, make them urban by building to the sidewalk.

I suspect there is data to show that shopping at box stores encourages excess consumption (especially goods like low-nutrition, processed snack foods).

Unless you are a savvy, disciplined shopper, you're in danger of spending more at these places for vast quantities of unhealthy food shipped long distances (bad for the environment).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

Oh come on :lol: Virtually every consumer item we buy at any store is shipped a long distance (what isn't made in Asia these days?). But food isn't shipped nearly as far because manufacturers tend to have regional or local plants.

Coincidentally popular ethnic foods consumed by healthy-conscious folks are shipped in from across the world.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

Not sure though how you decide which chains you kindly grant your patronage to and which you so proudly cast aside... either this is a matter of principle or convinience, not both :lol:

Also, you seem to advocate both mutually exclusive sides, no? Place big boxes in dense areas per your post/keep them in suburbs per miketoronto post which you agree with... I am confused about your preferences :)

My preferences are as follows:

Walking distance - I will obviously choose places that I can walk to in in 5 or 10 minutes first. So that means either chains or locally owned. For example for groceries I will first go to Wellburns (locally owned) but for movie rentals I will go to Movie Gallery (chain). That does not mean that I think that movie gallery is great but it is convenient.

Locally owned - If there is a choice between a chain and a local company that are equidistant I will choose the local company first. An example would be that if I am buying coffee downtown I will forgo Starbucks to go to Mirage.

Specialty - I will go out of my way if I think a place offers exceptional quality. For instance I prefer UVic's library to Downtown. Or for Italian speciality I like the place in Cook Street Village over Italian Food Imports. This is pure personal preference.

Availiability - If there is something I cannot get close by or at a locally owned place than I will drive or ride my bike somewhere to get it. But this is rare. There was some tool recently that they did not have at either the Cook Street Do-It centre or Rona in Vic West and so I had to go to Home Depot (If I lived in Gordon Head and could walk to Home depot as per the list I would go there first).

Anyways I think that we all make decisions based on our personal beliefs. My basic principle is Walk first.

It has a whole new look!

#48 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

So, it's still a matter of convinience, prices and goodies availability and this

I wish that people would not shop at places like that and instead choose a more local venue for there money.

not this

I can say with pride that I have not made a right hand turn onto Millstream in at least almost a year

have not much to do with principle.

Sorry for what may seem as digging into your personal convictions, it's just I haven't seen too many people who would sacrifice convinience and prices for principle, so I got interested...

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

I guess it would depend on what you consider a principle.

I base most of my decisions on the ease of life without a vehicle.

I do still own a vehicle but it only gets used on weekends, if necessary. Mostly it is used in the summer for vacations, Camping etc.

It has a whole new look!

#50 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:30 AM

I for one try to shop local/canadian as much as I can. Although convenience is a consideration as well, if it's close by or within walking distance I'll go there but still if the choice is Starbucks vs. Blenz or Serious Coffee I'll choose the latter two.

If I ever go out to sprawlville to shop I'll time it so I am not just going for one item and make an afternoon of it, I also try to time errands etc that are on the way out there. I also find with places like Costco etc I end up bringing home stuff I never intended to buy because they were a "deal" but now I've become pretty good about getting in an out and not ending up that jumbo pack that will never get used up before it goes bad. I try to avoid Walmart altogether though I do end up there 1 to 2 times a year because it was on the way to somewhere else.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#51 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

I have a small garden for food and a simple tool and die factory out back. Sometimes I have to import iron from my neighbour's mine, but for the most part I'm totally self sufficient.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#52 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

I'm the same way as G-Man and Galvanized. I grow a lot of my own veggies in the summer, try to buy local, choose not to drive a car, and make my consumer choices based on walkibility, local stuff when I can, emotional attachments to the stores/storekeepers, fair trade when I can. I don't really have a problem paying a bit more for something if I feel good about shopping there, I just buy less, which is fine.

I'm not hard core or anything, I'll still happily wolf down a McBurger if the mood strikes me. It is just a tendancy based on some cultural preferences and values I was raised with.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#53 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

I'm the same way as G-Man and Galvanized. I grow a lot of my own veggies in the summer, try to buy local, choose not to drive a car, and make my consumer choices based on walkibility, local stuff when I can, emotional attachments to the stores/storekeepers, fair trade when I can. I don't really have a problem paying a bit more for something if I feel good about shopping there, I just buy less, which is fine.

I'm not hard core or anything, I'll still happily wolf down a McBurger if the mood strikes me. It is just a tendancy based on some cultural preferences and values I was raised with.

I know of people who have grown their own plants too in their houses...and they don't mind paying more for lots of things even expesive cars...but then again...I don't think they were growing tomatoes!!! :shock:

#54 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:58 PM

See now, and when you grow your own, you avoid that whole nasty black market, illegal transaction, organized crime link!
Wholesome!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#55 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:06 AM

I guess they must of over grew their own needs and being ones to waste they must of thought it was best to share their blessed crop of veggies. :lol:

#56 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

Sharing is good.

#57 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

:lol: too funny!!!

#58 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:15 AM

You too can live on Sunshine terrace for the low price of $359000.

#59 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

Has anyone else pondered the new, uh, house? that is going up in the Sunshine Terrace area? It's squeezed onto a lot between the existing houses and the Millstream sidewalk. It's unusual looking, and awfully squished into its location. I keep meaning to take a picture, but I've always been driving and unable to stop.

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

Weird that they are actually adding a house there. I guess that street is there for good.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users